Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 09:32   #1

Boat: Farrier, F9AX, rotating rig
F-9RX - Wood core hull questions

Hi all, I am in the market for a F trimaran. I have located a lovely F-9RX, 2013 amateur built with some professional supervision. The result is awesome and I am hesitating because it is built with a wood core. It is Durakore 1" strips of end grained balsa sandwiched between thin hardwood veneers (the stuff is still available under the name "Baltek Durakore") all laminated and reinforced in critical areas as per Farrier plans and more. The hull is perfect, amas too, no moisture, no delamination. All checked and double checked.

I have made many mistakes in my 45 years of sailing and owning various boats and I am hoping not to make another one...

I am wondering about resale value. Although these trimarans seem to hold well in the market and have done so in the last 30 years, is the fact that this one, homebuilt with a wood core (vs foam) will become a hard sell even if I manage to keep it dry?

Thx, Pierre J
pjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 04:06   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: F-9RX - Wood core hull questions

Think you have answered your own question if you are worried about buying it then it will come back to bite you when you want to sell. So everything is down to the price and the risk.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 04:58   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: F-9RX - Wood core hull questions

Just build whatever price disadvantage you are thinking you’ll see into the offer on the boat. Either the owner will agree or tell you to get lost.

If it’s a boat you really want, it has no water incursion to the core and you plan to enjoy this boat and keep her in good (dry) shape, why not?

Some of boats is getting the best boat for you. It’s not all about the finances.

For example, if there is a foam core version out in Trinidad and Tobago for $8000 less, is it really a good deal? How much will it cost to move?

Look at the big picture. Plus, there is nothing wrong with a balsa core. There are only problems with bad builders and bad owners. Look at Alan’s cat of great fame on this board in Australia. He built it. All balsa. Bet he has offers all the time on it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core, hull