Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 14:29   #1

(Extremely) low Budget Cataraman for Singelhanded Crusing

Hallo fellow Sailors,

Maybe you can help me. I am looking for a catamaran or trimaran in the Range up to 20000$/€ (you read correct there are no zeros missing). This may sound a bit low at first but hear me out.

1. I will mostly be alone on the boat so the size/space needed is quite low and i would start looking at boats 26 feet or longer

2. I dont care about the Engine condition since i already have a plan to replace it.

3. I dont mind if the boat is a bit of a project boat as long as the rigging is in a decent condition.

The Plan is to take this boat around the world or atleast partially around the world. So it has to be able to cross oceans.

So far i found a few candidates that would probably fit my needs but maybe you can point me a few more.

-> Heavenly Twins 27 They are known for beeing able to cross oceans and have definitely enough room but bad up wind performance and are quite slow

-> Gemini 30 Also known for beeing able to cross oceans with even more room performance wise its similar to the Twins

->Telstar 26 (Trimaran) Probably enough room but more would be nice and i dont know about their blue water capabilities

As you see the Cats i found have a quite bad upwind performance and are also quite slow. Ideally i would find a Cat with relatively good performance in my price range. The only one i know of are Lock Crowther 28 ft boats that have a decent performance aswell as selling in the 20k range i hope you have more ideas.

TLDR: Decent performing Cat for singel handed blue water crusing?
Electricsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 15:40   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: (Extremely) low Budget Cataraman for Singelhanded Crusing

April Fools............???????

You missed it it was yesterday.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 15:48   #3

No not realy but i wouldnt mind getting educated why you think this is a joke
Electricsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 15:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

One of the smaller Wharrams?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-178417.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-191117.html

Here's a good looking Tiki 26 asking for $25000:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/41398

Here's a good discussion on CF about them:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-104981.html

Boatie should be along soon, he's another Tiki fan
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 15:59   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Gemini Catamarans are generally considered coastal cruisers only. Thats not to say that you can't cross an ocean in one but that they aren't even close to designed for it. Their full wing deck is not a usual feature of an ocean crusing cat. Typically they have open foredecks and high bridge deck clearances. Neither of which the Gemini has. They are however comfortable cruisers none the less.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 16:21   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
One of the smaller Wharrams?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-178417.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-191117.html

Here's a good looking Tiki 26 asking for $25000:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/41398

Here's a good discussion on CF about them:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-104981.html

Boatie should be along soon, he's another Tiki fan
Beat me to it...I thought of Cookie when I saw this (Rory is a friend).

Simple and low cost is exactly what the smaller Wharrams are meant to be...and Cookie is a proven circumnavigator!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 16:38   #7

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Gemini Catamarans are generally considered coastal cruisers only. Thats not to say that you can't cross an ocean in one but that they aren't even close to designed for it. Their full wing deck is not a usual feature of an ocean crusing cat. Typically they have open foredecks and high bridge deck clearances. Neither of which the Gemini has. They are however comfortable cruisers none the less.
Tony Smith the owner and designer of Gemini Cats, Sailed one from USA across the Nrth Atlantic to England,
Was doing 25 knots at one stage,

My Gemini 105mc, sailed out of San Diego and went to Tonga, Hawai, Fiji, Vanuatu, Bundaberg, Qld, Australia,
Before I bought it, Then I sailed to Australia, From Fiji, Very safe ocean going vessel,

But you wont buy one for 20 Grand,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 17:06   #8

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
But you wont buy one for 20 Grand
Mr. B I've followed your refit for a time. Explain to Mr. Electric approximately how much it will cost to properly refit. I'm guessing he's never purchased a set of sails.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 17:22   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: (Extremely) low Budget Cataraman for Singelhanded Crusing

Look at the Mk2 Iroquois.. if you opt for a Tiki go for a 30ftr.. unless your under 40yrs old the 26 will be to cramped for you though more than capable.
I had a Tiki 26 27yrs ago and loved it.. when I delivered one 3yrs ago age 66.. it was not so much fun.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...an_5979-1.html

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 19:13   #10

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Don't bother looking for a production boat, you are not likely to find one within your budget that is seaworthy enough for ocean work. Don't even consider a Gemini, they are too poorly built. However there are plenty of older cats such as Wharrams and Tris such as Searunners, Cross, Horstman and even Pivers that are all ocean capable designs that will be in your price range. Yes, many will be home built but that does not mean they are not well built. You just need to educate yourself on what you are looking at. Many designs, both production and those designed for homebuilding may have some inherent flaw that has become well known over the years that you need to find out about so you know what to pay extra attention too when you do a survey.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 21:14   #11

Boat: Tartan 37

Second the 30' Iroquois mkII, great sailing boat goes upwind very well. Don't overload her, but that will be a problem with all small cat's.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 21:39   #12

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I put in some of the parameters for Western Europe, up to $30K and here is what is currently on the site at yachtworld: (Sail) Catamaran Boats For Sale Bulgaria

If I had to choose one worthy for an Atlantic crossing, I'd probably go with the Heavenly Twins.
If, however, you were to buy the boat in North America, you'd have more to choose from. I'd look for a 35-foot trimaran with newer rigging and no major soft spots. That kind of boat would give you more for your money.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 23:36   #13

Boat: Volkscruiser

This couple is cruising in a 26 foot Heavenly Twins.
Sailing Kittiwake | A Sailing Blog

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricsails View Post
Hallo fellow Sailors,

Maybe you can help me. I am looking for a catamaran or trimaran in the Range up to 20000$/€ (you read correct there are no zeros missing). This may sound a bit low at first but hear me out.

1. I will mostly be alone on the boat so the size/space needed is quite low and i would start looking at boats 26 feet or longer
Big question: Do you expect standing headroom or is crawling around inside acceptable. No judgement intended but it's a big dividing line.

2. I dont care about the Engine condition since i already have a plan to replace it. How exactly do you have a plan if you don't even know what model you are getting?

3. I dont mind if the boat is a bit of a project boat as long as the rigging is in a decent condition.
At $20k expect it to be a project and expect to spend some boat bucks to get it ocean crossing ready.

The Plan is to take this boat around the world or atleast partially around the world. So it has to be able to cross oceans.

So far i found a few candidates that would probably fit my needs but maybe you can point me a few more.

-> Heavenly Twins 27 They are known for beeing able to cross oceans and have definitely enough room but bad up wind performance and are quite slow
I've seen a couple and for what they are they are good solid boats and several have done ocean crossings. They really work best if you plan to live on deck most of the time.

-> Gemini 30 Also known for beeing able to cross oceans with even more room performance wise its similar to the Twins
Move up at least to the 3200. The 30 is not built nearly as strongly as the later models with the 105 series being strongest...of course finding a 3200 for $20k that isn't a total mess will be the challenge.

->Telstar 26 (Trimaran) Probably enough room but more would be nice and i dont know about their blue water capabilities
These are really weekend boats. While anything can be done, interior living/storage space is pretty limited. The folding mechanism needs to be in good shape or ocean crossing gets questionable.

As you see the Cats i found have a quite bad upwind performance and are also quite slow. Ideally i would find a Cat with relatively good performance in my price range. The only one i know of are Lock Crowther 28 ft boats that have a decent performance aswell as selling in the 20k range i hope you have more ideas.
Who said they are bad upwind? And what are your performance expectations? A 28-34' cat that averages double digit speeds is speed demon and not a good choice to short handed crossings.

TLDR: Decent performing Cat for singel handed blue water crusing?
You might look at Catalacs. If you find an 8m or 9m in rough shape, you can probably get one for $20k and it will likely be outboard powered, so engine replacement should be easy and not too expensive. But again, not a speed demon.

Some of the home built like the warhams are an option if you accept the living accommodations but again no speed demon.

To get double digit speeds in this size range, you are basically looking an oversize hobbie-cat and those flip a bit too often to be good ocean crossing single hand boats.

I'm a fan of catamarans but given your constraints, a good used stoutly built monohull makes far more sense.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:04   #15

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Most of the old trimarans from Brown, Cross etc will sail much better than any of the older (read,more affordable) production cats such as Catalac, Heavenly Twins etc and have a long track record of capable ocean crossing. If you must have a fiberglass production boat I agree with Vallhalla that you will have better luck with a mono, you will have a huge selection within your budget if you stay away from the cult boats.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget