Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2021, 13:33   #61

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Extending a Lagoon 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
We have a 2019 L40......Sails great.
Compared to what?
I'm guessing you never actually sailed on a performance cruiser before, if you had you'd likely be disappointed with the l40 sailing ability

Quote:
Not sure why you would ever consider this. Lagoon paid one of the best marine architects a lot of money to design this boat.
Did they?
I am sure the marketing department had more say in what he was designing.
Sail performance was possibly the last thing on the list of thing's to achieve.
VPLP have designed plenty of outstanding sailing machines, but this is not one of them.

I am reminded of a well respected Australian designer who took a job with a Superyacht builder in design for a short time and he commented to me once that the norm was for an interior designer to draw a pretty interior and then ask him to wrap a hull around it, but has to slot in this size berth.
All backwards.
Quote:
But Bubba knows better???
If bubba actually sails and knows boats quite probably yes.
Some of the worlds best performance multihull designers and builders have had no formal training as such, but they do put in the miles, have got their hands dirty and know what works.

The red tie wearing muppet in the marketing department at lagoon, maybe not.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 14:31   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
This It's not that hard a task, and for catamarans with the engines installed well aft the extra buoyancy (even if small) added to the stern can have considerable effect on boat motion. Adding to the list of production cats, this is essentially what was done to turn the Outremer 50 into the 55 Light (yes, in the production run there were other differences, but the big change was adding five feet to the back end of the hulls without increasing accommodation space, etc.).

There was another thread on this topic not too far back with other reports from satisfied customers.
The Manta catamarans were first built at 38ft, as the one I owned and extended was, then the Florida factory extended to make it a 40ft, then again to make it a 42ft. I met a guy who extended a Manta 42 to 45ft. The interior volume is essentially the same on all of them. When extending to a 42 they shifted the engines and rudders further aft.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 15:29   #63

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
Fore and Aft, the pic I posted didn't show the forward rake, this does.

I did a combination of Divinicell full foam filling underwater and void filling above. All epoxy and 1200gsm DB cloth.

As far as resale value, I will probably die before I sell my boat. BTW, now she's only a two cabin cat, so only suitable to circumnavigations, not marinas or armchair sailors. Attachment 232894
Spiv, the extension to your bows bears no resemblance, either in form or design, to the boat in question. Yours are very well done, properly faired and finished, vessel lines correctly extended and done to an obviously very high standard, not so the boat in question.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 16:03   #64

Boat: Armstrong 42' Catamaran

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...xIMYxia5H3dg7S

Hi

Not a Lagoon, but added 1 meter to the stern of my cat in 2017. Cost a few hundred dollars (NZ) and a lot of my time (cheap). Well over built, but a big improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...xIMYxia5H3dg7S

Round bilge - I would wrap a sheet of formica or similar to act as a mould.

https://www.youtube.com/user/eyes333333
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 19:32   #65

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

A friend asked me to look at this post:

For interested folks ... no judgement for or against it - one makes up ones own mind ...

Just completed the extension to our 440 lagoon after coming through a storm in excess of 70 knots and realizing how such a mod to the boat would be an improvement on safety.
Some of the Lagoon folks in Australia and a friend who builds cats here came around to take a look and love it!

It cost us AU$5000 per side although the contractor did inform me he would probably now quote AU$10K per side.

It's a fantastic mod to the boat - much safer and sits well in the water.
In addition to this and many other mods I will share soon on our YT channel, we added a bulkhead behind the engine room too.

There are some photos on our Facebook page / Instagram etc.

https://www.facebook.com/catamaranim...0106718026128/
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 21:40   #66

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Adding a 3'to 4' sugar scoop type transom extension can be done reasonably easy and if your current transom is underwater while sailing, will improve your performance noticeably, but barely. Losing weight is an easier way to improve, more sail area, and a cheaper and more productive method is to hire a pro to troubleshoot, and teach you some ways to get the most out of your boat.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 22:52   #67

wow - that is the prettiest L380 I have ever seen.....!
Roddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 02:18   #68

Boat: S&S 40

An extra 3ft will not make it perform better, If you only intend to add a sugar spoon at the stern.
Having build and work on yachts for the last 40 odd years I suggest selling the cat and get a better performance orientated design.

Its definitely cheaper in the long run, no doubt you will get a lot of input from members who done it or know of someone who done it and so on, which leaves you nothing the wiser.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 04:05   #69

Boat: Tartan 40
Extending a Lagoon 40

Of course it will help. I bet production catamarans are built to sell at boat shows and interior compared to stated length is the major driver for comparison shoppers Extra waterline length doesn’t sell mass production catamarans and adds cost. So hence sterns are chopped off and immersed at rest and under sail creating drag.
And, those who say “sell your boat and buy a performance cat” are missing so many points. Yes, those will always be better but a 10-15K mod on a known paid for boat is less than broker fees for selling it.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 06:43   #70
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The benefits of the stern extensions are, makes for easier access to the boat from a dinghy if designed correctly. The extra length tends to smooth out the motion, less pitching and hobby horsing. Due to the extra length added and the smoother ride, performance should also increase.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 23:39   #71

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Compared to what?
I'm guessing you never actually sailed on a performance cruiser before, if you had you'd likely be disappointed with the l40 sailing ability

Did they?
I am sure the marketing department had more say in what he was designing.
Sail performance was possibly the last thing on the list of thing's to achieve.
VPLP have designed plenty of outstanding sailing machines, but this is not one of them.

I am reminded of a well respected Australian designer who took a job with a Superyacht builder in design for a short time and he commented to me once that the norm was for an interior designer to draw a pretty interior and then ask him to wrap a hull around it, but has to slot in this size berth.
All backwards.

If bubba actually sails and knows boats quite probably yes.
Some of the worlds best performance multihull designers and builders have had no formal training as such, but they do put in the miles, have got their hands dirty and know what works.

The red tie wearing muppet in the marketing department at lagoon, maybe not.
Mate, you said it so well

I sailed alongside several Lagoon with my (ex) Salina 48 and none, ever impressed me for their sailing characteristics.

They shine in creature comfort and being short for the space they offer which in turns draws people to buy then as they save in marina fees.
They are NOT designed for performance.
Performance on cats is controlled by weight, 'coefficient of finesse' and Bruce Number.

Anybody that wishes to comment on extension topics, should first learn about the last two items first.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 01:59   #72

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
Mate, you said it so well

I sailed alongside several Lagoon with my (ex) Salina 48 and none, ever impressed me for their sailing characteristics.

They shine in creature comfort and being short for the space they offer which in turns draws people to buy then as they save in marina fees.
They are NOT designed for performance.
Performance on cats is controlled by weight, 'coefficient of finesse' and Bruce Number.

Anybody that wishes to comment on extension topics, should first learn about the last two items first.
for what is worth, all FPs (3) we sailed with, slipped behind us, sometimes a lot.

I think extension makes sense for L44 as stern extremity under water. Our hull is not immersed and slides nicely thru water and doubt extension would help much. Suspect L 40 also high enough to slide and not to create disturbance instead. Worth checking before commiting.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 09:18   #73

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
for what is worth, all FPs (3) we sailed with, slipped behind us, sometimes a lot.

I think extension makes sense for L44 as stern extremity under water. Our hull is not immersed and slides nicely thru water and doubt extension would help much. Suspect L 40 also high enough to slide and not to create disturbance instead. Worth checking before commiting.
I think you are correct. What is gained from length of the water line is negligible, it is the underwater sections design that is where it's at. Eliminate the stern wave as much as possible.
Then again some may be putting lip stick on a pig.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 09:52   #74

https://youtu.be/_0sHe4q613s

I find his and her attitudes hilarious. They get it done but it's a mountain of work.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 12:21   #75

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Not a Lagoon but a Crowther Super shockwave getting extended.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_15368220379975117.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	233267  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon