Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2009, 11:41   #1

Executive 73...Opinions?

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to say hello, I'm new to this forum and I am planning a long term move on board a yacht in the next 3-4 years.

I have started to do research early because I wanted to be fully prepared when it comes time to make the move.

I have been looking strictly at monohulls and recently converted to only thinking about Cats! When me and my girlfirend move on board the plan is to stay at least 3-4 years and to circumnavigate, if we really like it than much longer.

We are going to be doing alot of scuba diving and will most likely have regular guests on board but for the most part we will be a duo crew. I am very interested in the 60-75 foot range and have found a boat that interests me very much, for the price per foot for a fairly new boat is great in comparison with other models, the Exective 73. The only thing I dont like too much is the lack of outdoor space, but I LOVE the pilot house controls and the class cockpit!

One of the things I think I really want is to be able to motor about in bad weather in full comfort in my pilothouse out of the elements, and this seems to be a very rare option on cats, at least in the $2,000,000 and under range.

2007 Executive 73 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - uk.yachtworld.com

Does anyone know anything about these yachts and if they would make a suitable platform for a long circumnavigation and a diveboat combined?

Me and my girlfriend set an initial budget for a max of $900,000 and we would have to hustle alot more and probably wait longer for something double the price (if at all attainable) but I am trying to figure out if it would be worth it for the Executive 73. We were initially looking at much older yachts such as this link below that would suit our budget, but I am thinking that there might be alot of work to do on a yacht of that age and might end up being a headache. Once again we will be a 2 person crew and the yacht needs to be managable.

1991 Alumarine Maxi Catamaran Commercial New and Used Boats for Sale -

Any advise or personal stories will be VERY helpful, we both only recently decided we are going to do this and both really dont know where to start!

....but we both cant wait to be on the water for good!

Thanks!
Mistraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 12:51   #2

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
I think both are a little large for two people. I like the first one, would not touch the second for any money. I don't think anyone will know anything about the first one unless they are from Oz and know the builder. Looks like they only built one. Lidgard Yacht Design, 73 foot sailing catamaran view images
Good luck with your search.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 13:09   #3

Considering your working budget, you may be better off building a custom cat with all of your design considerations. For 2 people a reasonable maximum length would be around 60ft. You could easily be able to pilot it from in the cabin or outside. You could also have a very large outdoor living arrangement within your budget and size.
Check out:
60′ C « Bob Oram Design
62′ C « Bob Oram Design
Chris White Designs

That's what I know off-hand, I'm sure you can find more
malovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 14:27   #4

Did a little more research:
Smaller but sleek Spirited Designs - Home of the Spirited 380 by Craig Schionning
African Cats
Schionning Designs -

Most of the larger factory built designs in your price range can be modified by the manufacturer by your request.
Old 21-09-2009, 02:52   #5

Boat: boat less ATM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistraal View Post
Hey everyone!

for the most part we will be a duo crew. I am very interested in the 60-75 foot range

The only thing I dont like too much is the lack of outdoor space, but I LOVE the pilot house controls and the class cockpit!

One of the things I think I really want is to be able to motor about in bad weather in full comfort in my pilothouse out of the elements, and this seems to be a very rare option on cats, at least in the $2,000,000 and under range.

Me and my girlfriend set an initial budget for a max of $900,000

Once again we will be a 2 person crew and the yacht needs to be managable.

Thanks!
900K budget - wow. Can I have some of your left over money? Does gun running really pay that well?
"crew of two" - have you ever sailed or attempted to dock a 75 ft cat in any sort of wind? That 73 ft Lidgard design has enough room on the deck to play Aussie Rules.

I reckon even with electric winches & bow thrusters, 60 ft (cat or mono) is the MAX a couple should ever need. If you want a sailing boat then sail it. If you want a motor boat to motor in wet weather then dispense with the cost of a mast and sails and buy a power cat.

Not meaning to be abrupt BUT

Why don't you charter a few cats to disscover how big a boat you really need and discover if when the weather does turn bad and the excrement does hit the rotating oscillatory cooling device, your girlfriend and you like the nautical existence.

Maybe a few more details about your age, health and sailing experience would be helpful so that some more CONSTRUCTIVE advice can be forthcoming.
Look forward to hearing more info
BTW welcome to the forum
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 04:51   #6

Thanks for all the good advice so far and the welcome :-)

I think some of you might be right and that 70 some odd feet might be a bit much... Thanks for the research Malovich, some really interesting reading.

SVS: We are a young couple creeping up to 30 soon. I have been sailing since I was about 12 years old and have sailed everything from Lasers to 30 foot Hunters. The longest I've spent on the water was 3 weeks but I've never done any off shore sailing. I can say I am competent but I never won any medals ;-) The misses as been sailing many times and has a basic idea of what it is about, but a complete rookie I would say. Although I must say she handles herself very well on a hobbie cat.
Oh... And a motor yacht is out of the question... yuck!

...and I haven't tried gun running... LOL

We've been to many boat shows and my girlfriend will not agree to move out to sea unless it is a large yacht (and she is a must bring along ;-), or else I'd be looking to pick up a 30-35 footer right now and would be planning this ove much sooner I think, but I like the idea of somethnig larger as well.

But aside from the yacht itself, what kind of things should I be looking at, learning, reading, researching, buying etc... at this early stage?

I really don't know much about offshore sailing right now and I am just scratching the surface of what equipment is essential, such as a watermaker for example, and what kind of knowledge I should have. Any non yacht advice would be appreciated to.

Thanks again!
Mistraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 06:40   #7

You should be buying nothing at this early stage except some sort of captains license classes. Seems like the girlfriend wants a condomaran (house that happens to float) rather than a boat that one can live on. Has she set foot on a sailing catamaran in the 40-50 foot range because this is whats reasonable for a couple. I have a feeling she would want something like a lagoon 500, What do YOU want? Are you more the type of guy who would want a 10 year old Etincelle 60 that could do circles around any charter cat?

The best advice I have for you is to read this forum, sailnet and any other discussion board that concerns live-aboard sailing.
Old 27-08-2015, 04:10   #8

Lidguard 73 Catamaran

I would be a little bit weary about viewing this vessel as I personally booked a flight from Australia to Greece to view it. When the owner did a background check on me he found out that i was a shipwright and boat builder therefore refused me access to view the vessel without me paying a huge deposit. After this I did some more research on the vessel and found out that it was owner built and not professionally built. There were also rumours of delamination problems. I think if you were going to buy a catamaran it would be best to buy a production built boat which will have a known resell value and will be able to sell much easier if cruising life doesn't suit you.
Regards Kel
Kelvin Rabbitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 04:12   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Executive 73...Opinions?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mistraal, and Kel.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 08:59   #10

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Re: Executive 73...Opinions?

I too am looking and started off looking at 58ft.

Most peeps on here will advise you to not go too large due to maintenance/marina costs and manage-ability. All apparently go up as the length increases.. there's also the running cost if you do decide to turn the motors on.. so its ability to sail at a reasonable speed in lighter winds comes into it (powering round the world will NOT be cheap).

We're still looking at 50ft as it seems there is a lot of choice.. and choice means competition.. and that means the price comes down. circa 50ft also means some models offer good space. I'll be interested in seeing which direction you go.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote