Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2023, 15:44   #16

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Excess 14 new design

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyj View Post
Yes definitely interested, do you know what price a fully kitted out one would be?
Checking every option is still under $1 million. But not hybrid - I'm not sure what that adds.

You can also do a lot of customizing, but that does bring up the cost if you go too far outside the normal design.
Old 28-01-2023, 21:15   #17

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozolli View Post
Excess 14 hull fineness ratio is about 5.5:1. That says it all.

How do you know this number?
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 00:37   #18

Boat: CM49 (launch 2025)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
How do you know this number?
I measured it on this drawing:Click image for larger version

Name:	1050-excess-14-4-cabin-version.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	270735
ozolli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 04:20   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I measured it on this drawing:Attachment 270735

Hard to tell where the waterline is on that drawing?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 06:04   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
I measured it on this drawing:Attachment 270735
Thats silly, the Excess is much narrower at the waterline. And the length to displacement ratio is much more inportant for exceeding hullspeed. Interesting with the asymmetric hulls
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excess14.png
Views:	62
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	270813  
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 06:50   #21

not to go a smidge off topic but I am seriously considering a Nautitech Open 44 under the premise that it will have better performance than lets say a Lagoon but not the performance of a Outremer. Has anyone sailed an Open 44 and can confirm this? I too would love a boat with a bit more performance than a lagoon but I dont think I am ready for the Outremer crowd yet
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 06:58   #22

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Thats silly, the Excess is much narrower at the waterline. And the length to displacement ratio is much more inportant for exceeding hullspeed. Interesting with the asymmetric hulls

Unless you are flying a hull or there is very significant heel, creating lower hydrodynamic pressure to windward, I can't see the point of asymmetric hulls. The opposing sideways components of each hull when running flat, not heeling, will cancel each other out and simply produce additional drag although it could be argued that there is less wake interaction. It does improve straight line stability at the expense of tacking ability, certainly in beach cats. The asymmetry also widens the CB potentially allowing more sail to be carried at the expense of more wetted surface and less load carrying ability. This maybe a good compromise for the anticipated speed range. I have to say this is still a heavy boat so not significant performance enhancements.

Where did you get the section? Can you estimate the hull beam?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 14:15   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 44 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Yes, where did you get this diagram. Does anyone know the hull width of the Excess 14 at the waterline?
johnnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:03   #24

Quote:
^^ This exactly.

Want to have a look at how it really looks like from the front?
No no no, that's not what they wish (Boot Dusseldorf) :
Framed the boat well for the show, didn't it? I'm sure that was the intent, as they are very proud of the 14's hull shape. The 14 is the first hull completely designed by the Excess team and not a Lagoon hand-me-down. Among other things, it's asymmetrical for better performance. While its still a Cat, the effort is to provide monohull performance and actually make them fun to sail, not to be dock dwellers.
Davevda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:06   #25
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyj View Post
Huge upwind sail area on the Excess and deeper keels
You NEED good sq. meters to pull 13 tons (empty) vessel!

On the opposite side of a similar to E14 weight cats line, there are, say, 6 tons (empty) cats with "cruising" sails of 93 m2 (upwind), or "racy" 2 meters taller mast to carry more sail area.
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 14:26   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davevda View Post
.......While it's still a Cat, the effort is to provide monohull performance.
Wow so it's a cat and they want to make it slower?? Haven't seen a mono that could sail as well as a PROPERLY designed and built multi in years.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 17:40   #27

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davevda View Post
Framed the boat well for the show, didn't it? I'm sure that was the intent, as they are very proud of the 14's hull shape. The 14 is the first hull completely designed by the Excess team and not a Lagoon hand-me-down. Among other things, it's asymmetrical for better performance. While its still a Cat, the effort is to provide monohull performance and actually make them fun to sail, not to be dock dwellers.
HA, so you are saying sailing lagoon provides no joy, like driving barge. Regrettably, that is not so. Thinking of our last ~4-5k nm in last year, i can assure you we enjoyed >80% sailing, including upwind. There are those moments choppy after blow and going upwind and against current where i desire mono for couple hours to squeeze that extra 0.5kn of upwind VMG. But yeah, i find these days i put in extra reef by default and we both still fully enjoy sail.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 18:15   #28

To cover a fair amount of misinformation in this thread, let me add my 2¢. I have been on Excess 14 hull #1 a number of times, including on a three hour test sail where I was at the helm for 1.5 hours. (As full disclosure, based on seeing the boat and sailing it, my wife and I placed an order.)

The boat sails incredibly well. Where it really outperforms some other cats in its size is in light wind. In 6 knots of wind, it happily went 4 knots upwind. In 8 knots of wind it went 7 knots at 90° wind angle. We never had winds over 12 or 13 knots, but at 12 knots it sailed 8.5 knots at 120° wind angle. And it is a joy to sail.

It was specifically designed to be fun to sail, and it really is. With two aft helms, right over the rudders, and dyneema mechanical steeering, it is extremely responsive, and the helmsperson is very close to the water with excellent visibilty all around. This plus a generous sail area/weight ratio makes for very good performance. The boat I was on was fully equipped for cruising, and even had a generator and AC.

As far as the asymmetric hull shape goes, its biggest advantage is reducing interference drag. A great amount of testing was done. For those interested, read the article in No Frills Sailing: https://no-frills-sailing.com/vplp-a...lls-excess-14/ . The Excess team is very happy with the hull shape. I have attached tow phones of how it was displayed a few days ago at the Miami Boat Show, with bow facing forwards.

The Excess 14 has been very positively reviewed in a number of sailing mags: Sailing today Dec. 2022; Yachting World Feb. 2023; Multihulls World April/May 2023. I have attached the specs printed in Multihulls World, as well as an info table on what they think the competition is.

As far as the Excess/Lagoon discussion goes, the first two Excess models, the 12 and the 15, were built on Lagoon hulls. These two models will be discontinued. The two newer models, the 11 and the 14, are original desings by Excess, and use no Lagoon elements at all.

Apart from Performance, my wife and I found the Excess 14 to be extremely comfortable to be a live-aboard. It is roomy with wonderful light in the saloon. We chose the three cabin owner's version, but it is really a 3 1/2 cabin boat--the forward section of the owner's hull is a storage/work area that has two coonvertible single berths.

If anyone has any questions about the boat, just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Excess-14-specs.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	271837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excess-14-competition.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	271838  

Name:	Excess-14-MIBS-front.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	271839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excess-14-MIBS-headon.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	271840  

mqholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 01:26   #29

Thanks mgholt,
Nice to finally hear some hands on feedback.
Could you elaborate on the performance figures you provided?

Something like sea state (I take perfect conditions considering the response), but also details on TWA, Heading, Leeway ...

Also, what about visibility and hulls noise while cruising?

Thank you
Giova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 12:27   #30

Hi Giova! Good questions.

The sea state was quite calm, as would be expected in the Mediterranean in September when there was almost no wind in the morning, and when we started sailing in the afternoon there was only 4 - 8 knots of wind.

I did take some video when I first took over the helm, when the wind was still light, and I have attached some screen shots of different speeds and wind angles.

The visibility is excellent from the helm, as would generally be expected from two aft helms, and helped by the clear windows which can be seen through well. I have attached a photo shot from the dock of the stern, and here's a link to a Youtube video I shot from the starboard helm under sail: https://youtu.be/yCWj3GPDaDA .

In these conditions, there was no noticeable hull noise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot  8 displays.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	485.9 KB
ID:	271872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excess14-dock-stern.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	271873  

mqholt is offline   Reply With Quote