Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2019, 08:48   #16

Re: Emergency turn under engine

Almost everyone here avoided answering your question. Years ago in a class I ask the instructor almost the same question and he said he had no idea. I can think of two ways of going. One is to find someone with access to a good simulator. Probably a more practical solution is to try it. Probably in less than an hour you could try each scenario several times. If you do or someone else does please post your answers here. Also be sure to mention the boat, speed, and other pertinent data about the Keel and props such as if they are counter-rotating.
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 09:15   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
In THE Titanic situation the vessel was traveling too fast to turn within its field of vision.
An interesting aside: I saw a show that said atmospheric conditions created a 'mirror' that hid the iceberg until it was too late. It was also stated that it caused a mirage of the ship over itself, which is why the other ship (California?) did not think they were looking at a cruise ship when they. got the S.O.S.

Something about the difference in air density over the waters of the Labador Current and the Gulf Stream.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 10:12   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
Assume you are motoring, both engines, 3/4 ish throttle, 7knts ish

You see, dead ahead, a log / whale / shipping container / kraken, and want to turn to avoid.

This is the titanic problem. Will the boat turn better with propwash.

What is actually more effective

Rudder Hard Over, Both Full Fwd
Rudder Hard Over, One Full Fwd, One Full Rev (Hopefully the right ones)
Rudder Hard Over, Both Full Rev
Rudder Hard Over, One Full Rev, One Neutral.
Don't Turn. Both full rev. (Titanic might not have sunk if hit head on)
Some other combination.

Now - here is the tough bit - it's not only how quickly the boat rotates heading, but how quickly the vector changes.
It will sideslip. And yes, daggerboards down would help. Assume no time for that. You are motoring with daggerboards up.

Comments?
Leave the rudders amidships.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 10:28   #19

Motoring on a twin engined cat with the daggerboards up, the only thing the hull has to pivot on is the rocker of the hulls. I know that my cat mostly goes sideways with daggerboards up when trying to make a tight turn. The hull needs something to pivot around. When motoring, no sail up, I have both daggerboards down about one-third so I can manoeuvre as desired. All cats are different, but if you have a cat with shallow rocker, narrow (underwater) hulls, with no fins or other underwater protrusions other than small rudders, then you need some daggerboard for directional stability.

With daggerboards up and slamming one engine in reverse and the other in neutral (or in reverse) will turn the boat sideways, but the direction of forward movement is not predictable.
Keep some daggerboard down at all times when motoring.
The least daggerboard I have down when underway is running downwind with the spinnaker, and even then I keep one board down a bit.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 11:01   #20
Marine Service Provider

Need to know the type of boat (cat ?) distance to obsticle when sighted, beam and distance between shafts and engine, sea state and prop type for starters to guestimate the corrective action. Also brain, eye, hand coordination of helmsman. Check the video of the cat crashing on the rocks at Kona Hawaii. First item failed the skipper.

You are correct about the Titanic, actions from the bridge and the engine room served to kick the stern out to starboard and the glancing blow ripped open the hull several compartment aft of the collision bulkhead. The intermediate bulkheads didn't extend all the way up to the main deck. Sea water spilled over the top of enough of the intermediates to sink her. She may have survived a head-on. Same with the Costa Concordia (stern kicked out to port by steering command) but the collision with the rock allow the water ingress to kill all engine power. Luckily the wind was such that she drifted on shore. On the chart the water there was probably deep enough that by maintaining course and speed she would have missed the rock or slightly grazed it.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 11:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Back to the original question. "You see an object dead ahead ...."

When you move the rudder to one side, it causes the STERN to move in the opposite direction from where you want to go. So turning "away" from the object actually moves your stern towards the object, exposing the side of the boat.
This would be similar to what I would attempt. Things are rarely truely 'dead-ahead'. In most cases it will be either slightly to port or stbd of center.

If it's slightly to port...

turn hard to stbd 45 degrees.
Straighten wheel and hold for at least 1/2 to 1 boat length.
Turn back to port 45 degrees.

The last turn should kick the stern away and hopefully you avoided the object.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 12:40   #22

Engine in neutral until the prop stops to avoid damaging the clutch, then full astern to lessen the impact. Turn the wheel in the hope that you miss the object.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 15:36   #23

Boat: Nauticat 32

I think it depends. If your vessel is a hovercraft, your best option might be both full rev. If your boat is a deep fin keel sailboat with an efficient rudder and weak engines, your best option might be to turn it sideways. The boat would not move an inch (maybe a foot ) sideways (former forward) after it has quickly turned. Keeping both engines running forward or idle would keep the water flow good at both(?) rudders, making the quick turn possible.

Paul Howard already mentioned having the daggerboards up or down in a catamaran. Similar differences there. A dagger keel monohull might turn faster (since most of the weight is in the middle). Catamaran daggerboards could stay fully vertical during the turn, which would keep them efficient.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 15:40   #24

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Thinking about it, in a cat you'd definitely want to keep the power on regardless of rudder effectiveness. That way even with some side slip, you'll have plenty of thrust to help get you moving in the new direction as you finish the turn.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 15:45   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
The big most people forget to do because it's counterintuitive is to turn into the obstacle as it comes abeam your pivot point (somewhere amidships) which will kick your stern away from it. Continuing to turn away could actually cause you to hit something you would otherwise clear.

^^^^VERY important. Some joker hit me last year because he got too close then turned away but his starboard quarter hit my port gunwale because of this^^^.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 15:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
Titanic situation
Flat calm, poor viz, autopilot on
it's a judgement call... how fast can you turn or stop and how you can maneuver to avoid an obstacle. Only you can answer that as per your vessel and crew... I personally would turn hard over and shift to neutral. Stop, assess, and plan.... quickly and again....
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 16:03   #27

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
I think it depends. If your vessel is a hovercraft, your best option might be both full rev. If your boat is a deep fin keel sailboat with an efficient rudder and weak engines, your best option might be to turn it sideways. The boat would not move an inch (maybe a foot ) sideways (former forward) after it has quickly turned. Keeping both engines running forward or idle would keep the water flow good at both(?) rudders, making the quick turn possible.

Paul Howard already mentioned having the daggerboards up or down in a catamaran. Similar differences there. A dagger keel monohull might turn faster (since most of the weight is in the middle). Catamaran daggerboards could stay fully vertical during the turn, which would keep them efficient.

This thread is in the multihull sailboats area of CF, so I assume the OP is talking about a performance sailing cat (the daggerboards suggest "performance").

Hovercraft and keelboats are irrelevant.

And to add my 2c worth - those who say "it depends" have it right. Take your own boat out and try it a few times with a beachball in the water. The best solution will depend on the characteristics of your vessel.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 18:39   #28

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Why not go out and test your boat. When I first take out a new to me boat I get it up to speed and do a few hard turns and doughnuts just to see how it behaves. In forward and reverse too.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 20:32   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

You don't motor boards up as a rule. A little board down makes it MUCH easier for the auto pilot.

So, a trick question.
Old 25-11-2019, 23:32   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
You don't motor boards up as a rule. A little board down makes it MUCH easier for the auto pilot.

So, a trick question.
Yep, unless we are trying to sneak into somewhere really shallow, usually put at least a foot of board down. Makes a big difference in maneuverability.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, engine