Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2021, 15:14   #1

Electric Scooters on islands?

Been debating how to travel around islands and thought I'd get outside thoughts on the electric scooters? The way I see it, they're small, fairly light, have the fat off road tires, can go up to 30 miles, and can be recharged from the solar panels quite easily.

Seems like one of those too good to be true things. Anyone out there have a set? What are the pros/cons?
Morndenkainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 16:20   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Electric Scooters on islands?

My wife has ordered a light weight e scooter. 26 lbs, 20 mile range.
I have an e unicycle. 34 lbs, 40 mile range.
I have had it for about 3 weeks and love the ease of use and portability. Charging is easy as long as you have an inverter capable. Most only will charge on ac. My wheel is 67.2 v DC.
Lots of options out there, I recommend browsing ewheels.com
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 16:26   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

I would check on the legality of doing this before I spent money on scooters.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:24   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I would check on the legality of doing this before I spent money on scooters.
eBikes are easier in this regards I think than scooters.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:31   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I met a cruiser in the Caribbean with a small gas scooter, similar to a Vespa, on board with its own winch assembly. He said it was just rusting away because there was no island that allowed him to use it - they said it needed to be locally registered to be street legal. Registering meant importing and paying duties and fees. Of course he could have tried ignoring the rules and considering how many traffic stops I've seen here (2 in total over the years) he might have gotten away with it. But the first time he gets stopped he'd lose the scooter.
Old 10-09-2021, 04:30   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

We are mainly weekend sailors, so not much island time unfortunately… FWIW, we often carry 2 Segway Ninebot E22 E45 Electric Kick Scooters with us. Our daughters love them and my wife does grocery shopping with it in the morning. Never been stopped by the police so far — NY/CT (U.S.A.) area.
No affiliation with the brand; just happy customers.
Fair winds!
Old 10-09-2021, 04:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I met a cruiser in the Caribbean with a small gas scooter, similar to a Vespa, on board with its own winch assembly. He said it was just rusting away because there was no island that allowed him to use it - they said it needed to be locally registered to be street legal. Registering meant importing and paying duties and fees. Of course he could have tried ignoring the rules and considering how many traffic stops I've seen here (2 in total over the years) he might have gotten away with it. But the first time he gets stopped he'd lose the scooter.
In all of my trips to the Caribbean, I'm trying to remember ever seeing a traffic stop by the local cops, and I really can't ever remember seeing one.

But, you would stand out on one. I think I'd go the E-bike route as well, and just pedal when you saw the cops!
Old 10-09-2021, 05:38   #8

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Do you have accident insurance? 30 miles an hour on a small wheeled scooter on island roads with island drivers, I can see airborne experiences...
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:59   #9

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

I've been as far as the Turks and I wouldn't ride ANYTHING on the roads, even a pedal bike. There are NO sidewalks, they drive like madmen. We walk and even that is dangerous at times. I second Zanshin's post you also have to register motorized anythings, etc etc.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:00   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I have an e-scooter since when it is folded flat it can be slipped under one of my bunks. Not poss with a bike.
In the Med there seems no trouble whatsoever from the legal point of view. I would emphasise that it is better to spend a little more and get one with suspension front & back as well as the wider 10" tyres. Island roads and not always as flat as you might like.
If i think i might be going more than 20 km i just take my charger unit and an extension cable, sit and have a cool beer at the destination while it recharges and then head back to the boat.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:49   #11

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
In the Med there seems no trouble whatsoever from the legal point of view.
You will most likely learn that you are wrong as soon as you have an accident. just because you slipped under the radar doesn't make this legal.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:29   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Buy folding bicycles. No legality issues and less storage problems and will probably keep you healthier.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:32   #13

Boat: 40' Maine Cat
Cool Re: Electric Scooters on islands?

I have had 3 e-bikes on boats cruising the islands. My favorite by far is the Rad Mini. Have ridden it for 3 years all over the place with no problems and no rust (20 mile range & 20mph). A little heavy for a fold up but solid with fat tires for beaches, island potholes, etc. Also has great racks that hold an easy 2 weeks of groceries if you bring backpack. Brought home 4 cases of beer one day with it and have done some really fun exploring. Solar panels handle daily charge with ease.
Good luck and have fun with whatever you get.
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:00   #14

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Do your homework for each island, prior to taking any motorized vehicle (gas or battery) or bicycle onto a foreign island. I have been stopped by the police twice in St. Georges, Grenada to verify that the bicycle I was riding was indeed registered to me. The Customs officer at the dock in Luperon, Dominican Republic, tried to charge me an import fee to bring my bicycle ashore. The US Fish & Game warden in Culebrita, Puerto Rico would not allow me to take my bicycle ashore to ride the almost deserted trails to a very surfable remote beach.

If you do decide to pursue this, have a fool proof locking system. Vehicles, vehicle replacement parts and fuel costs are well above reach for many islanders, so bicycles are a desirable means of transportation by many. I had one stolen in Deshaies, Guadeloupe, locked with a very heavy Kryptonite lock to a light standard while shopping in a store less than 100' away. The Gendarmes were sympathetic, but realistic about recovery. Rechargeable angle grinders are sold there too. Another was stolen off the boat in Simpson Bay Lagoon, Sint Maartin. Someone entered the cockpit and cut off the lock on the chain looped around cockpit table. The Marine police wouldn't come out to the boat or take a report, despite touring the lagoon every morning and passing by our boat within 100'.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 16:54   #15

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Assuming you are talking about Caribbean islands I would be concerned about three things.

One, the roads on most of the islands are less than stellar and most don't have much or any shoulders.

Two, the drivers on most islands are, shall we say, erratic.

Three, the tires are small and usually don't handle potholes and other uneven surfaces very well.

I have had bikes on board a few seasons there and have not ever figured conditions were OK to use them. In the Bahamas things are a little better, but not many places to go to.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric