Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2006, 09:38   #316

Boat: Still Looking
Canibul,
(Twas a joke!) Abut it does snow at higher altitudes their. Where, above 10K? I grew up in Alaska and if that wasn’t enough, the Navy sent me to Antarctica 3 times for weather research, once for a year with 12 other crazy guys, so I aint scairt of no stinkin snow either or 103 below 0, I just don’t wont to see that anywhere again soon.
Now I'm in the desert but still wish I was there to build it for you.
Steve M.
stevem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 00:50   #317

Burn anything in this generator by Segway intentor

http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/16/tech...0216/index.htm
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 03:28   #318

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov
A different way to empty the holding tank?
Old 15-11-2006, 06:19   #319

Hopefully we've heard the end of DBK

My prediction is that somebody is about to pay the price for not learning enough science in school, is going to get ripped off for a humiliating amount of money, and then quietly stop talking up DBK.

So don't say you haven't been warned. Those responses from DBK carry abundant hallmarks of a sales scam.
1. Lots of name dropping and important sounding credentials which can't be verified
2. Lots of scientific sounding buzzwords which to those who recognize them add up to meaningless dribble
3. Stories about how you the customer are priveleged "in the know" and are going to make gobs of money from a venture, but for some dramatic reason, no one else can be found in the world who wants the money.
4. Description of the "technology" consists of valid technical explanations of how the success of the technology would benefit you but no explanation of how the technology would succeed. e.g. "Your new money tree, if amortized over a ten year period, compounded annually, will provide the cash flow to pay down your debt in half the time, allowing you to buy two houses instead of one." Great, but where did the "money tree" come from again? "We'll have to explain that later. We don't want our competition to know. First give us a $40,000 deposit."

"Power Amplification" is a twist on the meaning of words. You don't amplify power. You use power to amplify something that lacks power. Saying that a solar panel only receives 300 Watts but is "electrically amplified to 2000 Watts" is the electrical equivalent of saying you can "amplify" your rain water collection system using sprinklers. Think of all the weight you would save if you didn't have to carry along water! Instead take this special dehydrated water and hydroponically amplify the amount of water by rehydrating it.
Randomandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 12:35   #320

Hi guys and gals,
I just got back from visiting DBK solar last night after spending the day there. They really won’t have product out the door until the first part of next year. The unit I tested looks good, weighs about 50 lbs and is soundly built. (I used to build conventional panels myself back in the early 90’s) the first test was done at 10 am in the shade. The warehouse faces west, the panel was rolled up to about half in and half out of the warehouse door with the sun at that time still in the east creating a shadow from where we were, out into the parking lot about 30 ft away. I was surprised they were going through the demonstration anyway! They hooked up the panel to a battery and an inverter. Putting a tester on the battery I found it was at 12.7 Volts. Putting it on the panel I found it was putting out 166.6 Volts. This was going into the inverter and into that we plugged in 2- 1875 watt hair driers that ran full blast. In the afternoon at 3:00 pm the test was repeated in full sun. The panel overloaded the inverter putting out 225.6 volts. They proceeded to cover the panel with a blanket about 2/3’s. That still ran the hair driers at full blast. It seems the panel will easily put out over 4000 watts in full sun and over 3500 in the shade. It will put out some even at night. (short wave radiation is converted as well) They are guarantying 3000 watts output at 20 years down the line.
More later. Steve Merrill. 702-274-9818
Old 16-11-2006, 12:57   #321

Boat: Privilege 37
What was the size and type of panel - is it a glass or a semi-rigid?

are they making any forecast on price or delivery?

that sort of power delivery promises a lot, but is going to make the regulator's job difficult, and how do they dump the unused power?
Old 16-11-2006, 13:59   #322

Boat: Lagoon 420-41'4" Martha R
Steve, What where they using to step down the voltage to 12v. I'm assuming that the inverter was in-line after the battery to convert 12v DC to 110v AC.

Quiet Riot
Quiet Riot 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2006, 04:55   #323

Boat: 2010 Leopard 38
Maybe

Maybe we hope that we haven't heard the last of DBK solar.

To get this much power out of something so small (relatively) has the ability to change sailing as we know it... even at 5k a pop..
RonRicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 08:41   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBri737
Maybe we hope that we haven't heard the last of DBK solar.

To get this much power out of something so small (relatively) has the ability to change sailing as we know it... even at 5k a pop..
Chech thin out. Steve

POSTED Wednesday, October 25, 2006
San Fran getting fancy solar boats to bring people to The Rock

Related Entries: Environment : Vehicles

San Francisco is ordering up a couple of eco-friendly, futuristic boats for their fleet of ferries toting fannypack-clad tourists to and from Alcatraz prison. The two trimarans will be able to tote 600 passengers apiece and will run on a combo of solar, wind, and diesel power. The boats are setting the city back $6 and $8 million bucks each and will come sporting 45-foot high wings that are covered in solar panels. The wings will also act as sails, letting the bay breeze carry the huge boats around and letting the two diesel engines take a breather. The boats should be on the water in 2008 and 2011, so make your flight plans now to be the first to ride the fancy rigs. — Adam Frucci
Old 20-11-2006, 08:51   #325

check this Steve M.

POSTED Wednesday, October 25, 2006
San Fran getting fancy solar boats to bring people to The Rock

Related Entries: Environment : Vehicles

San Francisco is ordering up a couple of eco-friendly, futuristic boats for their fleet of ferries toting fannypack-clad tourists to and from Alcatraz prison. The two trimarans will be able to tote 600 passengers apiece and will run on a combo of solar, wind, and diesel power. The boats are setting the city back $6 and $8 million bucks each and will come sporting 45-foot high wings that are covered in solar panels. The wings will also act as sails, letting the bay breeze carry the huge boats around and letting the two diesel engines take a breather. The boats should be on the water in 2008 and 2011, so make your flight plans now to be the first to ride the fancy rigs. — Adam Frucci
Old 22-11-2006, 11:49   #326

Boat: Lagoon 420 -Avanga
Green, Greener, Greenest

Here’s an interesting solution. She’s a solar, diesel hybrid. So here is how you could really go green: design a similar cat but add a low profile mast with only headsails. You may need to increase the beam a bit.

http://www.dsehybrid.com./

Install a mast and two furlers, no main. The head sails will be a furling jib and screecher/code 0 or asymmetric. You can motor-sail upwind with the headsails or sail in the trades downwind forever.

Generate energy from the props, (like the 420), the huge solar array and a couple of wind generators. Talk about energy independence!

If you eliminate the mainsail, you eliminate so much gear, complication and cost. This is a compromise anyway and low profile mast will do. When there is no wind there is usually lots of sun power and vice versa.

If you give up sailing hard on the wind (you can still motor to windward) there is little need for skegs or daggerboards, so very low draft. Extremely high range on diesel/solar below theoretical hull speed with the capability to motor 15knts.

Anyone want to start a company?

Check out these new electric drives. They can stay submerged upto 5 years, come with the control system and can regen from the props. They're quite reasonably priced.

http://www.re-e-power.com/
planetoftheapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 11:21   #327

New Electric Car in '07

I hope this isn't too far off topic but I am trying to watch any type of development in the Green Spaces. This one landed in my inbox this morning - Electric Cars, Green Vehicle :: Phoenix Motorcars, Inc.
  • All-battery power - NanoSafe™ production battery pack system
  • 100+ miles per charge
  • Speeds of 95 m.p.h. carrying five passengers and full payload
  • On board charger: 6 hours to recharge from 220V plug-in
  • Available configurations:
    • Mid-Size 4-Door Pickup (SUT)
    • Mid-Size SUV
alwysrit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 12:18   #328

Lagoon genst burns 1 quart per hr running the 2 electric motors

I would say thats pretty good.
Old 26-12-2006, 19:08   #329
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I would say that's pretty good, too, and would love to see that turn out to be the case. What's your source for that information? Which genset? Running at what speed?

The Onan literature on the respective gensets does not give such optimism.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 07:59   #330

How the electric motors work articles
Catamaran Company

The Catamaran Company

Video on how the Hybrid diesel system works I found on the web.
http://www.catamarans.com/catamaranc...ecs.asp?bhcp=1

Looks good to me.