Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41   #436
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
As you should be well aware of Alan, when continuesly improving and building boats or for that matter any product there will always be problems and solutions.
we are always trying to improve. the only way not to have any quality problems is not to build at all !!! Dreams will never suffer with quality problems .
It is easy to judge but a saying in Dutch that translates as follows:
the best sailors are always on the shore !!
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 18:17   #437
KGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
...on the Monohull we have a finished working example of the Green Motion system since it was not only designed and to be used on a FastCat but also on other cats and monohulls .
With the small output of our cat factory it would not be worthwhile to go thru the effort and cost to develop a system like this .
As far as the monohull fitment, it looks surprisingly similar to what this company offers: BELLMANN Drive Technology - Mooier kunt u niet varen
Certainly it's pure coincidence that you are both in the Netherlands.

So perhaps the only real development might only be that of adapting to a cat via the swing arms?
KGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:42   #438

Boat: PDQ32
electric drives

There are a number of companies working on similar drives at the moment. You may see similar looking motors as the need to keep the motors cool makes a submersed arrangement desirable however the success of the overall package will probably depend more on the control system and overall configuration that it will the motor alone.

for another similar unit see RE-E-POWER Electric Propulsion for Marine Applications
Old 12-06-2009, 10:34   #439
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are some differences between the systems as described above and the motors we have developed.
1. Green Motion motors can generate
2. these motors are brushless and do not require maintenance
3. The range starts at 9.6 KW up to 25 KW
4. The motor/controllers combined efficiencey is better than 92 %
5. We use a 4 channell digital fluid cooled controller
6. a voltage of 150 volts dc

Minimal differences but on a ocean voyage it makes the difference between having power or not.

Gideon
Old 13-06-2009, 23:12   #440
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I forgot to tell but the advantages in going to 150 volts are
1. a smaller motor both in diameter and weight , for the 9.6 kw only 150 mm or 6 inches diameter and 34 kilo,s in weight.
2. the wiring is thinner and weights less
3. we get to 70 % power at 1000 rpm and a lower rpm setting has a higher prop efficiency both for propulsion and generation

greetings
gideon
Old 14-06-2009, 21:04   #441

This thread is so full of possibilities for experiments but not yet mature, apparently: that I went and looked for compressed air power. Not to be difficult but in self defense. I found a lot all around the world, especially for French or Indian cars but nothing much on Cruisers Forum. A search here found a tremendous fracas over drunken operations of boats; not what I want right now...

Perhaps I should start a new thread if it might be a useful one ?
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 12:12   #442

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Yes, Start a new Air Engine Thread

Think it could be a great thread.

I did a quick look at an OZ company www.engineair.com.au that makes a rotary engine that only requires 1 PSI. Now I am trying to understand how one powers the air compressor without burning fossils or attaching a bunch of batteries that need re-charging.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 12:52   #443
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Talking

The answer is simple, just take a immese long airpressure tube along connected to the shore :-)

Yes it would be a good tread but it should come in under motors and propulsion since it is both for monohulls and cats alike both motor and sail

Gideon
Old 17-06-2009, 22:59   #444

Passing a proposed new thread to Motors & propulsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
Think it could be a great thread.

I did a quick look at an OZ company www.engineair.com.au that makes a rotary engine that only requires 1 PSI. Now I am trying to understand how one powers the air compressor without burning fossils or attaching a bunch of batteries that need re-charging.
It's hard to beat electricity when it's available and working well; and sometimes the best way to improve electrical storage is to just examine many of the alternatives. The change of scenery and perspective inspires...

Now for a title ? ALTERNATIVE ~ alternatives for motors and propulsion
Purpose of the thread is to keep track of promising and interesting mutations in many kinds of motors; energy conversion and storage.

Eg:
Quote:
"The answer is simple, just take a immense long airpressure tube along connected to the shore :-)
THAT could take the form of wave energy when at sea, but not between Vancouver Island and mainland Canada, because there are seldom waves higher than a few centimetres.

I'll watch the overnight traffic then just do the new thread; unless someone beats me to it...
Old 18-06-2009, 00:28   #445
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good morning George
the thread is already started under motors and propulsion systems
greetings

Gideon
Old 28-07-2009, 17:34   #446
KGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
African cats Builds the Fastcat 435 Green Motion with retractable electric motors/generators capable of generating 4 Kw each @ 10 knots of speed
Wants to build.
KGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 16:20   #447

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Wade View Post
Eg: THAT could take the form of wave energy when at sea, but not between Vancouver Island and mainland Canada, because there are seldom waves higher than a few centimetres.
You must be joking, right?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 17:09   #448

Joking !

Neither statement is meant to be a joke. There are no waves today for example. But out at sea there are and I think the energy could be tapped.

Old 01-08-2009, 17:32   #449

I am confused on one aspect of the specs. It appears the 455 fastcat will have a 16 KW genset. I have looked at 4 different gensets in that size range and they all burn a lot more fuel then your claimed fuel burn. Most are about 6 liters or more a hour. What type genset will you be putting on the 455?

George
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:42   #450
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hallo George
The FastCat has a 22 KW generator that consumes 8 liters per hour if running at full speed continues but it does not, it runs modular so only produces the power needed and it cycles on and off,l in other words if the electric motors only use 12 KW the generator runs at full power until the battery,s are full , and once that is done the generator turns of until the preset level of in this case 40 % load stage is reached and than it starts up again.
If we run the motors at full speed continuesly the generator will run more often an consume more
the proof of the pudding is in the eating and once launched we will keep accurate track of the consumption, speeds, motor rpm settings etc
greetings