Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2006, 10:48   #196

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem4u
Intentional Drifter

I’m planning to have written coverage and cameras all over it (even underwater) through internet satellite hookup of a circumnavigation as soon as I get the boat. Don’t think anyone has done that yet with a rig like this?
ID - when is your planned departure? Pls make sure you post your URL here. I will be a fan. If you go around twice you'll probably pass me on the second turn.

Steve
ess105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 12:36   #197

Boat: Still Looking
I have been told the boat should be out next Aug. or so. Don't have the hull # as yet. Steve M
stevem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 13:25   #198

I would strongly suggest you obtain your hull number. I suspect the brokers like to switch around for their own benefit. For an August delivery, they must know your number as ex-factory availability is pretty close to the end of next year.
Old 15-09-2006, 18:29   #199

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Boat Show

I have similar design objectives to Stevem4u's "green boat" and a similar schedule for full time cruising as ess105 so I was wondering if it makes sense for folks going to the Annapolis boat show to meet? Is anyone planning to hook-up to discuss their latest thoughts and impressions of the 420 during the show?
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 18:59   #200

As far as I know there are no plans to meet up until now. I think it would be great for owners to get together. I'm down in Annapolis Friday and Saturday and am in town late Thursday evening and Friday evening. Does this coincide with your and/or anyone elses plans? We could meet up during the day (Friday say) and then figure out an evening out?
Old 15-09-2006, 19:38   #201

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
I'm flying in on Thursday late afternoon and plan to be at the show on Fri/Sat. My wife and I are staying at the Marriott and would be happy to provide a location for a get together or just meet up around lunchtime on Friday? We've already got plans for dinneron Friday.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 09:21   #202

Boat: Lagoon 420 -Avanga
Very nice indeed

I watched the 420 video. Oh my, what a ship! Beautiful, sailing like she’s on rails. Planet of the Apes was going to go to Annapolis but now I’m not so sure. She looks just perfect. It’s clear the ergonomics are wonderful as the camera moves around to boat. I feel comfortable going ahead with the purchase without personally examining her. Especially since I got her at the initial introductory price. I will never again have the opportunity to buy such a beautiful catamaran at such a low price. Did you guy see how much money we saved on options? It’s wonderful to be alive!

If I do go to Annapolis I would be honored to meet my fellow 420ers!
planetoftheapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 14:19   #203

L420 Hull #15

I have been reading your threds for some time and like the rest of you I to took a risk and plonked my money down. I also am very happy with the result. Looks really godd to me - EXCEPT; have a good look at the outside wall of the interior of the Owners cabin near the desk seat area - there is a great phalic protrusion sticking out from the wall. In the mockups there was a bookshelf/cupboard covering all of these workings. This spoils a really super boat. Mmmmm. Have to use some of the mney we saved to build something over this.

Any of you think maybe a bookshelf similar to the mockups of the L440 would finish this off??
Peter Cronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 21:22   #204
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Welcome, Peter --

Here are a few other observations from the photos:

Salon bench seat: Taking off the back and hand rail (like on the 440) is not wise. Not only do people lose having a back to their seat, people going across the salon lose something to grab on to. That is just asking for people to fall. Same comment for the back on the nav station seat. At least use the same type as on the 440. Or, an even better option would be to offer two swiveling "captains chair" like seats in place of the love seat arrangement. These would allow people to both comfortably be at the table, and to swivel the chair around, while also keeping something for people to grab on to in rough seas.

Bath/shower: Where's the shower seat? This is one of the things we liked so much on the 380. Put the shower seats in!

Transom grab bars: I guess it was too much to ask, but they really need to put in grab bars at the transoms.

No desk in the owner's hull! That is a serious issue. It is also illustrated in the layout and CAD drawings, but is absent in the photos. Frankly, I'd rather have the desk than a sofa, but preferably both. The desk needs to come back, really needs to come back.

In the photos, we couldn't see how one gets on top of the cabin/bimini for access to the boom/main. Surely, there are some steps or something, since ready and regular access up there will be needed.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 22:11   #205

Boat: Lagoon 420 -Avanga
You guys are tough on my 420! I'll support whatever you want to add ID just let me know who to call to make suggestions to. Really, I would like the backless love seat removed altogether. Open up the saloon. I would keep folding chairs stored for guests. We generally don't have sit down meals in any kind of heavy wheather anyway. I don't know, would you really hang out in the hulls to work at a cramped desk? The hulls of these medium sized catamarans are fine for sleeping, bathing ect. but to stay down for longer periods may be a psychological challenge.
Any word on solar panel inputs?

Sorry about this, but I am compelled to act. I just watched this video release Sep 8th on google. Oh my! Ever wonder what we really know about 9/11? This movie is in theaters now. You can watch it for free at:
planetoftheapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 00:25   #206

Boat: Woods/Coplan Boats (SA) Ocean Spirit 34
Would have liked to hear or hear lack of any noise from electric drives, video is mostly shown with background music, Also wondering if the drives were running when in sailing mode, I have seen brochures of other cats where the engine controls are on full throttle, and the picture shows boat sailing at speeds on calm waters.
It does look to be a solid and heavily built boat, curious about its sailing and performance capabilities.
Also its obvious that the nacelle has alowed them to reduce the netting area and increase usable area on fordeck.
redtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 00:29   #207

Boat: Woods/Coplan Boats (SA) Ocean Spirit 34
Would have liked to hear or hear lack of any noise from electric drives, video is mostly shown with background music, Also wondering if the drives were running when in sailing mode, I have seen brochures of other cats where the engine controls are on full throttle, and the picture shows boat sailing at speeds on calm waters.
It does look to be a solid and heavily built boat, curious about its sailing and performance capabilities.
Also its obvious that the nacelle has alowed them to reduce the netting area and increase usable area on fordeck.
redtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 07:21   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cronk
have a good look at the outside wall of the interior of the Owners cabin near the desk seat area - there is a great phalic protrusion sticking out from the wall.
The phallic protusion looks to be the inside manifestation of a step that has been put in on the outside. I have attached a pic that shows the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	264  
Old 17-09-2006, 07:24   #209

I'm not sure if the promotional video is showing us exactly how the boat will turn out. This is, after all, hull #1. They may have rushed it out in order to get the photo/video shoot done. I'm going to be taking lots of pics of the L420 at Annapolis - if there are differences, I can describe and upload.
Old 17-09-2006, 07:28   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRhapCity
I'm flying in on Thursday late afternoon and plan to be at the show on Fri/Sat. My wife and I are staying at the Marriott and would be happy to provide a location for a get together or just meet up around lunchtime on Friday? We've already got plans for dinneron Friday.
Let's meet up on the L420 at 12:30pm Friday and do lunch togther. We can identify each other by the big grins.