Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 20:16   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetoftheapes
...oops, is what to name my 420?

Will I really name her Planet of the Apes? It's my wife's joke boat name. Most names are so cliche'.
I thought there was a law that all catamarans had to be named with a "cat" reference -- Catnip, Cat's Meow, Scaredy Cat, Cat Astrophe, etc, or something similar from a foreign language -- Le Chat, el Gato, Die Kaetzen.

Or are you going to spare the world another bad pun?
Old 05-08-2006, 22:40   #152

'Third Hull'
I was just making a leg pull on the nacelle, PotA (why do I always read that as Planet of Heapes?) but ....

The 'important bit' of the nacelle on the Prout was the front, which was supposed to be for braking up waves, plus adding strength. Just like on the 420. The rear view you show was the engine pod (where the nacelle is taken back too far and too low to get the engine in the water) which was for other design reasons.

The larger Prouts (e.g. 46) had more than a passing resemblence to the 420 in this regard.
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:03   #153

Boat: Lagoon 420 -Avanga
Nacelle and Name

420ers

Re: Nacelle. I thought that picture illustrated the low bridgedeck, drag it through the water, trimaran like design of the ol' Prout better than the shots of the bow. I said it was the important end because, I believe, the 420 gull-wing disappears completely midway aft the bridge deck. There is nothing aft on the 420 to drag.

Re: Boat name. Absolutely no damn cat pun on my boat. I'll go with PotA before that. Hey it has "pot" in it. My wife also suggested the name Arctic Explorer. Made me laugh just like PotA. She's crazy.

I was thinking Divine Disenchantment would be a good name for her. It has many philosophical meanings for me but one is the way our most powerful sense of acomplisment and joy often comes after enduring discomfort, fear and uncertainly, like landfall after a hard passage.

You know, many people told me not to buy this boat including my broker 'Scary new technology.' I have told-you-so's all ready to dish out but propably won't use them.

Aside -I read a meta-analysis yesterday looking for a correlation between pot smoking and lung cancer. They found none. Go four twenty!

-Apes
planetoftheapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 10:54   #154

New pictures Leopard 46'

Just received these pictures from one of the Leopard people:
Great looking cat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Master.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Freezer.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	219  

Name:	Master 2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	221  

pieter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 22:21   #155
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
A few more 420 Pics

Still nothing of the interior, but a few shots including the hull and helm.

ID
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	L420 Actual 6.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	226   Click image for larger version

Name:	L420 Actual 7.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	227  

Name:	L420 Actual 8.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	228  

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 17:00   #156

Thats a nice looking boat Richard cant wait to sail her across the Atlantic next fall !!!
Old 04-09-2006, 08:29   #157
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
L 420 Interior

Here's the first photo I've run across of the L 420 interior. Only one; it is the owner's hull (port), looking aft.

ID
Attached Images

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 17:28   #158

Boat: Lagoon 420
L420 Pics

I have a set of L420 pics - I think they were taken at the same time as the ones that are shown on CatCo website. They include a few more interior shots.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	L420 Aft Cabin.JPG
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	245   Click image for larger version

Name:	L420 Chart Table.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	246  

Name:	L420 Electrical Panel.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	247   Click image for larger version

Name:	L420 Master Bathroom.JPG
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	248  

Name:	L420 Master bedroom_2.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	249   Click image for larger version

Name:	L420 Stove and Oven.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	250  

Name:	owners cabin portside.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	251   Click image for larger version

Name:	saloon.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	252  

ess105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 19:21   #159

Question:

Why is this thing so dang heavy? You'd figure it would be lighter having smaller lighter electric motors. It has a very deep draft too! I have a feeling this thing may be slow.
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 19:33   #160

Weight

That's a very good question and one I intend to ask the manufacturer directly down at Annapolis next month. The dealer can be a bit frustrating when asking these sorts of questions.

The larger weight may mean the boat can take a greater loading and not suffer similar performance loss as a normal cat of this size would. But as you say, it's natural top speed may be reduced as a result.

The good things is that these are no rookie designers. I have to have some faith they know what they are doing.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:35   #161

weight

10,000lbs heavier than a Manta 42, which is no lightweight.

Perhaps it is due to the weight of all that lead in the batteries. They should have the lead weight as low down as possible, perhaps in some sort 'keel', which could also help with stability......
Old 07-09-2006, 08:55   #162

Weight

Has anyone done the math :

(2 diesel engines + moderate genset) - (2 banks of batteries + larger genset)

I can't see this coming to 10,000lbs
Old 08-09-2006, 07:27   #163

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpet
Question:

Why is this thing so dang heavy? You'd figure it would be lighter having smaller lighter electric motors. It has a very deep draft too! I have a feeling this thing may be slow.
Right you are! Lagoons are no speed demons by a long shot. They stay flat and plough through the water in complete airconditioned luxury, just slightly faster than a mono....maybe.
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:07   #164

Odd though: the 420 has the weight of a Nautitech 47 (47ft) and the sail area only slightly bigger than the 410.

This gives a SA/D of 19.5, which is about the lowest of ANY current production catamaran. (Lagoon 410 is 25.5). And it does not have the slim hulls that some designs with low SA/D do.

I wonder why? Maybe being ultra-conservative with a new design? Although I guess the sail area is determined mostly by stability (= beam and length) so it is the weight that is the puzzle......
Old 08-09-2006, 08:33   #165

Electric Leopard 46'?

This is what I received from the Leopard people on their new Leopard 46', I think this is a fantastic design and I believe that they will come out with 'their' version of electric drives shortly.

Pete Melvin’s comments on the design and launch of the new Leopard 46’ catamaran:

Robertson and Caine is building on the success of the Leopard 40’ and will realize similar improvements in sailing performance and handling relative to previous models.

Pete Melvin: When analyzing and comparing the Leopard 46’ to other similar sized production catamarans, the Leopard 46’ will have a better displacement/length ratio (basic indicator of performance potential) than the Catana 47’ (which is sold as a performance-oriented cruising catamaran at a much higher price.)

The Leopard 46’ is much more a performance oriented cruising catamaran, like the Catana 47’, then a more traditional cruising catamaran such as the predecessor, the Leopard 47’ (a Simonis design).

-All-new hull shape, keel, and rudder design improves performance and maneuverability, providing for more enjoyable sailing and faster passages.
-Increased underwing clearance improves comfort and performance in waves.
-New spade rudder improves handling and reduces drag.
-Reduced aft cross beam height increases usable cockpit space and improves access to the swim platform and transom steps. This reduction in cross beam height was achieved through advanced engineering analysis and careful tailoring of the carbon fiber and fiberglass laminates.
-Innovative raised helm station provides improved visibility without resorting to a flybridge helm. Flybridge helm stations are heavy and increase boom height, negatively impacting performance and stability.
-Integrated hard cockpit covering eliminates the need for a fabric bimini and provides better protection from the elements.
-Carefully engineered structures and advanced production methods result in improved quality and significant weight reduction, allowing for increased payload capacity and amenities, and markedly improved performance.
-Improved interior spaces, ergonomics and flow.
-Plumb bow with long waterline improves sailing performance and load carrying capacity, reducing pitching motion and associated motion discomfort.
-Increased sail area relative to Leopard 47’ for improved sailing performance
-Increased fuel capacity relative to Leopard 47’ for improved range under power

Loa 46'4", LWL 44' 7", BEAM 24'10", DRAFT 4'1", DISPL 24,206 lbs, LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY 13,271lbs , mainsail 861 sqft, genoa 581
water 206, fuel 185, holding 45 gl , mast above WL 70'9"

pieter97 is offline   Reply With Quote