Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 19:26   #16
cruiser

Re: Electric bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
My issue with electric bikes is that the manufactures move on with development and seem to lose interest in electronic spares or repair for older models... I have one bike with front and rear lights not working in the main controller and surprise surprise.... been waiting four months for a replacement.

I would not put 5K into an electric bike unless happy to consider it a disposable. If they change the battery design or electronics, once the original run of first production runs out.... Its like computers... 2 years on and considered old..
You can still pedal it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:02   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You can still pedal it.
Actually... my experience with electric bikes is that pedaling action is not the same as a standard road bike. Its hub is heavier due to the electrics and the electrics are integral to the braking system etc...

Now I agree that $5K for a well made non electric bike can be excellent value... However I am a touch upset that $1100 for an electric bike and no spares available after 6 months.... And yes, is a major manufacturer. Even the newer model (which looks identical to mine with minor differences...) is a different electronic block and battery size and connector... here in Spain the dont exchange things so is repair only... now I have a fight with the store, and I have bought 3 bikes from them...

so no, 5K for electric bike is for those who have 5k as disposable income...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:38   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Actually... my experience with electric bikes is that pedaling action is not the same as a standard road bike. Its hub is heavier due to the electrics and the electrics are integral to the braking system etc...

Now I agree that $5K for a well made non electric bike can be excellent value... However I am a touch upset that $1100 for an electric bike and no spares available after 6 months.... And yes, is a major manufacturer. Even the newer model (which looks identical to mine with minor differences...) is a different electronic block and battery size and connector... here in Spain the dont exchange things so is repair only... now I have a fight with the store, and I have bought 3 bikes from them...

so no, 5K for electric bike is for those who have 5k as disposable income...
I don't know costs in Spain, but $1100 for an ebike here in the US is enough to purchase one on the lower end of the scale. Please don't be so quick to judge all ebikes as equals when it comes to quality. My wife's Stromer was $4,000, and it's very high quality with spare parts and service available... but it hasn't required any so far.

Another possibility for us regarding her present non-electric Brompton, is to install an electric front wheel for assist. Much cheaper than upgrading to the Gobike.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:12   #19
cruiser

Brompton folding electric bike.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:25   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There you go Ken, just add an electric kit to your Brompton. I am sure it could be retrofitted, ought to just be a new front wheel and some other bolt on bits
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:56   #21

Boat: St Francis 50

The Dynamic Sidekick 8 shaft driven folding bike is great for boats. No chain, lightweight folds up to store almost anywhere.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 12:53   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to leont

That is the one we use. Love it so far. Bikes are much lighter, only 46 lbs; but the scooter gives you more freedom. http://www.scooterbuz.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scooter.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	145386  
leont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 07:08   #23

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' NERISSA

Very easy to get a kit and convert any bike to electric, mine will go 35 mph and 35-40 mile range
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 20:45   #24

I don't think an electric bike is the best bike to extend your range. The rad mini has a range of 20-40 miles. You can travel 25 miles on a push bike in 1-1/2 2 hours. What if where you want to go is 30 - 40 miles away? Is there a place to charge the bike midway, are you going to pedal a bike that's 2-1/2 times the weight of a push bike when the battery is dead? How much space does it take up on your boat? What about corrosion? Why don't you go speak to Jan Heine at Compass Bicycle in Seattle and have him show you a rinko bike

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/...-a-rinko-bike/
ward_matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:57   #25

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
However I am a touch upset that $1100 for an electric bike and no spares available after 6 months....
This was your first mistake. $1100 barely buys you a half decent non motorized bike these days. You said you bought a major manufacturer, but for the life of me, I can't think of one that sells ebikes for that cheap. You bought a POS, and it's no wonder 1. that its broken, 2. there is no support.

My bike is quality through and through, and is powered by a Bosch system. Parts availability if and when it needs repair (now 5000 miles on it) is simple, more so now that the popularity of e-bikes has sky rocketed.

It cost me $4000 + the governments cut, but I consider it very good value.

The Brompton with a quality electric kit, like the Crystalite made combo in the video would also be a good package, and more affordable.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 09:03   #26

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Very easy to get a kit and convert any bike to electric, mine will go 35 mph and 35-40 mile range
Care to share your setup? I've seen some of the bosch motors can be derestricted, but also there are aftermarket controllers and motors that will take up to 72v.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 09:11   #27

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by leont View Post
That is the one we use. Love it so far. Bikes are much lighter, only 46 lbs; but the scooter gives you more freedom.ScooterBuz | ScooterBuz and GenZe Mahindra: Leading the Personal Urban Mobility Revolution
A scooter makes a lot more sense for people that only use their e-bikes when in a marina, especially around Europe where there is no messing about importing or exporting. Something like a Honda C90 weighs about the same as an athletic 182cm European male. So if worried about weight you could just carry one less guest

Coat it in ACF50 (to stop corrosion) and use the boom to load it and unload it. Have fun riding it 100miles on a gallon (imp.) of fuel.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 10:01   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
This was your first mistake. $1100 barely buys you a half decent non motorized bike these days. You said you bought a major manufacturer, but for the life of me, I can't think of one that sells ebikes for that cheap.
There is a big world outside of Canada and USA.

TUCANO :Bicicletas Electricas urbanas, plegable, deportiva. Servicio técnico en toda España

I have been really happy with the bike, the action and ruggedness of use... I do round trips of 10-22 miles a day 5 days a week. The issue I have is the controller. They upgraded on the newer model to a 36V I had bought the legal lesser voltage because that is what is permitted in the UK. NO spares.

Here in Spain, although the EU law is the same, they do not enforce it. Had I known I would have gone for the bigger unit. As it is, last week they offered me this for €200 and my old bike.

I upgraded to 36V Samsung 15,4Ah Autonomía 80-100km

You can buy the range of tucano bikes in Europe, and you see them everywhere for half the price of the US bikes.

TUCANO :Bicicletas Electricas urbanas, plegable, deportiva. Servicio técnico en toda España

Frankly, my only issue has been that it required a hard push to get my electronics sorted.. and now Im in the current league so will be ok for 3 years. battery replacement for me in two years will be €250.

I cannot justify $4-6K for an electric bike on a boat. A regular bike in the UK on the Centaur I wiped with WD40 all the time and it was a pain... UK sea weather will rot Seagulls so bikes suffer a lot of corrosion.

I estimate I will do just under 5000 miles this year, I have already done over 2K in 6 months. NO problems, no issues apart from the controller. It pays to get a current model and not an early product model. They have lent me the model of the bike I am getting next week and Im happy with the quality, speed and handling of the model. Suspension is amazing.
Old 21-04-2017, 10:31   #29

Boat: J/42

At a recent boat show, a company was displaying a new "electric bicycle" with big "snow" tires that was as big as my first motorcycle. It got me wondering what are the licensing requirements for these things, in different countries? At what point does importing a motorized vehicle become a legal hassle?
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 10:40   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Electric bikes in the UK are strictly controlled.
You can read the rules here...

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

Basically must be pedal assisted, NOT have a throttle and not be more than 250W. Speed restrictions apply.

Dont need a licence or insurance.

That is why I bought a 250 watt bike...

Each country is different.

Tags
electric