Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2014, 08:59   #16

Boat: Leopard 40
Dry Tortugas

It was rainy with some gusts but no real lightning. Actually calmer than I thought it would be and we were able to dive a few sites. Winds are 20kts now but sunny. Good sailing.

Dinner Key is probably your best bet for a marina or mooring around Miami. We have stayed at Mia Marina a couple of times. It can be noisy though. Crandon Park never seems to have available space but the diesel prices are good and it is easy to get into.

Lots of places to anchor inside so you just snuggle up to one of the keys depending on if the wind is north or SE (the usual choices it seems In Biscayne park we archor out at the Featherbeds if the bugs are bad or go in at Boca Chica key if there is some wind. It is skinny on the way in so go on a mid to rising tide.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 07:57   #17

Boat: Conser 47 performance CAT
Re: Dry Tortugas

Seems I will need to trim 7 ft off my cat to get any moorings in South Florida !

I'll have to leave the boat for a couple of weeks so anchoring is out..guess I my have stay further north.

Or try northern keys?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 05:16   #18

Boat: 40' Leopard

We are back !! Had a great trip spent 3 days at DT . The jelly fish left the 3rd day and we got some great snorkeling in Got to watching the weather and decided to scat out of there as anchorage was not to protected . Sailed and motored sailed back to Punta Gorda . The winds were great 20-30 but changed so we were going head to wind. I hate motor sailing , I hate motoring . I took my older brother along and he had the time of his life. We sailed all nite but next time will do Marco Island , Marathon and the the channel to DT.
so was the trip worth the short stay --Well may head back there in a couple of days for a longer stay . I am looking at long range forecast and may have some weather coming in the end of the week after next but the direction of wind will be favorable
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 08:26   #19

You should try going in summer, we go often first week of July. Have to motor often, but once you are there water is calm and clear.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 15:02   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13 View Post
You should try going in summer, we go often first week of July. Have to motor often, but once you are there water is calm and clear.

I'm thinking to go there myself this summer, first couple weeks of July.
Other than snorkeling / diving, is there much else to keep the family entertained?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 16:54   #21

Snorkeling and diving is great in early july. We will be there this next July first two weeks. The fishing is excellent, you can fish inside one mile of the fort. Just remember no supplies or cell phone service. When ever you go to the Dry Tortugas supply for extra days just in case weather goes south.

Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:41   #22

Boat: 40' Leopard

Ok we got back from the DT and after a week decided to head back again.
We left in a blow and went screaming down to the DT. 30 miles from there we last our chart plotter and decided to turn and run for Marco Island . Old school navigation works well . Stayed in marco island for 3 days as we also had an engine acting up.
Got the engine fixed bought a gps and back up VHF . Started nroth to Ft myers and stopped just short of there in Ft Myers Beach. We called the Coast guard to varify the Bridge we were close to and they gave us a differant fix . Got up this morning headed under the bridge and started for intercoastal water way.Surprise surprise!!
Wrong bridge! Stranded until Sat low tide to get out .
Really having a great time though and we should be back to Port tomorrow.
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry tortugas