Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2015, 08:20   #16

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Dragonfly for passages

Voyage catamarans are a different company/designer. Ours is the Chris White Voyager 48 formerly named "Surprise". We just about decided on a new name, but that's another story. There is still a listing for the boat on catamaransite if you're curious.

A few people have inquired about what we've done.I don't want to derail the Dragonfly thread so I'll try to get off my butt and introduce our new boat on another one.

And yes, it was the comparatively limited cabin space the moved us to the cat. There are, however, a couple of DF1200s for sale that gave us pause.
Old 30-10-2015, 09:06   #17

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Surprise was the boat that brought us down to FLA To look at cats . A very nice boat.
Now I am sure that you won't be disappointed in the performance.
I liked the name but I read all the Master and Commander books.
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 16:15   #18

Boat: Comet 41s

I don't know what sort of passages you are talking about but I knew of a Dragonfly 35 that was for sale after having crossed the Atlantic. I don't know if that is a good or bad notice But If the 1200 is in perfect shape I don't see why not.

I think this will be of interest: A 1200 that crossed the Atlantic with lots of information and a Dragonfly 1000 on passage.

http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/p...hlight=passage

http://www.thedailysail.com/offshore...mbai-to-muscat
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 20:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Now I am sure that you won't be disappointed in the performance.I liked the name but I read all the Master and Commander books.
The name itself is nice enough, but the word surprise keeps coming up in conversation and it feels like an endless chain of bad puns.
Old 31-10-2015, 17:40   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Anything Chris White designs is usually a very very good sailing boat. Congratulations.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 17:04   #21

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM6WET View Post
I been looking at the dragonfly 1200 as well seems they don't market it very much and don't know if they ever made very many of them. The boat has existed for some quite years but don't know if it had any updates.
Would also want to circumnavigate. Spend most of the time in the Pacific but there are some things I would need improvement on.
I need a lot more galley. Seen that the DF35 can be made with a larger Galley. Perhaps this option is available on the 1200 but the website is very minimal on information.
I would also want to have a lot more deskspace being a ham operator I need to fit a lot of equipment.
I I think there should be a separete sub-forum for dragonfly.
At the Annapolis Sailboat show a couple weeks ago I spoke to Jens Quorning, who owns the Dragonfly company. He said that the DF 1200 is an older design and they now no longer produce it. I asked if they are working on an updated version, and he said there were not plans to at this time. Another Dragonfly employee told me that the DF 1200 was just too expensive to produce.

It's a wonderful design, but I would also be concerned about the small galley, small refrigerator, very small heads, and what looks like a lack of adequate ventilation in tropical climes. However, the boat has huge plusses as well, it's probably faster than any other boat around (except other trimarans), you pay slip rates and haulout fees as if it was a monohull, it has huge storage space in the amas, and looks fantastic.
Rohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 18:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
At the Annapolis Sailboat show a couple weeks ago I spoke to Jens Quorning, who owns the Dragonfly company. He said that the DF 1200 is an older design and they now no longer produce it. I asked if they are working on an updated version, and he said there were not plans to at this time. Another Dragonfly employee told me that the DF 1200 was just too expensive to produce.

It's a wonderful design, but I would also be concerned about the small galley, small refrigerator, very small heads, and what looks like a lack of adequate ventilation in tropical climes. However, the boat has huge plusses as well, it's probably faster than any other boat around (except other trimarans), you pay slip rates and haulout fees as if it was a monohull, it has huge storage space in the amas, and looks fantastic.
The Dragonfly 35 costs already a disproportionate amount of money regarding the size of the boat. I love the boat and when it was launched I visited it and asked about the price that was something like 400 000 euros ...and that ended with my dreams of having one.

You can imagine how much it would cost now to make a boat like the DF 1200...too much money. I agree with the guy from the shipyard.

Regarding speed, as strange as It can look the 35 is way faster than the 1200 and the 32 faster than the 35.

Even on the used market the 35 costs a fortune. You have one for sell on US, a 8 year old boat and the asking price is USD 295 000.

2007 Dragonfly 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 01-11-2015, 21:26   #23

I spoke with the US distributor when I was shopping (six weeks ago) and mentioned that a DF 1500 would be very interesting. He said that there was one in the works but probably a year or two off. He also said they were taking comments/suggestions from potential customer and that it would not be cheap.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:16   #24

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

A Dragonfly 1200 is in a different class than any other production tri. It has a rich "yacht" interior. Mine is a 2001 and I know that whatever I get next will be a step down, whether cat or tri. The newer Dragonfly boats are great for what they are, and they're more performance oriented, but they're also not as nicely finished inside or as roomy.

If/when they come out with a 1500 it would be in a very different price range, somewhere north of a million euros.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
A Dragonfly 1200 is in a different class than any other production tri. It has a rich "yacht" interior. Mine is a 2001 and I know that whatever I get next will be a step down, whether cat or tri. The newer Dragonfly boats are great for what they are, and they're more performance oriented, but they're also not as nicely finished inside or as roomy.

If/when they come out with a 1500 it would be in a very different price range, somewhere north of a million euros.
Yes I agree with that and let's see what they will chose, the more modern performance oriented boats (that would be my guess) or a boat similar to the Dragonfly 1200 but bigger.

If it is going to be a performance trimaran than the interior space will not be bigger than on a 40ft monohull. It would not be a problem for me...the over million (probably euros) will be.. maybe not for some, but not many would give that sort of money for a boat with such a small interior.

Anyway I cannot wait to see such a boat. I did not have heard anything about it yet.
Old 03-11-2015, 14:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
... The Neel is probably a great boat but too much of the condomaran aesthetic for us.

In the end we bought a Chris White cat. The Dragonfly was very tempting, but we succumbed to the additional accommodation of a cat. I have no doubt I'll miss the Dragonfly performance.
Congratulations with your choice. I have also been attracted to each of these boats with similar considerations of pro's and con's. In that line up I also added the new HarryProa cruisers. I am not a brave seaman so I am attracted by the seakindliness of the long hull without the added cost and weight typical of other type of boats and by the ease of sailing of a schooner rig with unstayed masts, particularly in difficult weather. But it has also the pro's and con's of being new: the build method is very lean and promises to give lots of bang for the buck in purchase and in maintenance; the drawback is that it does not have a long track record yet.
To stay with the thread and comparing with the Dragonfly the main advantage is better useable volume with one large ama instead of two smaller ones. But that ama is also longer. Not everybody will want to trade a more expensive stay at the marina for a faster passage and better protection against pitchpoling. The Dragonfly is expensive in purchase and replacements but it should retain much of its value even for the newer models. Not easy to choose between good boats.
lucdekeyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 19:12   #27

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdekeyser View Post
Congratulations with your choice. I have also been attracted to each of these boats with similar considerations of pro's and con's. In that line up I also added the new HarryProa cruisers. I am not a brave seaman so I am attracted by the seakindliness of the long hull without the added cost and weight typical of other type of boats and by the ease of sailing of a schooner rig with unstayed masts, particularly in difficult weather. But it has also the pro's and con's of being new: the build method is very lean and promises to give lots of bang for the buck in purchase and in maintenance; the drawback is that it does not have a long track record yet.
To stay with the thread and comparing with the Dragonfly the main advantage is better useable volume with one large ama instead of two smaller ones. But that ama is also longer. Not everybody will want to trade a more expensive stay at the marina for a faster passage and better protection against pitchpoling. The Dragonfly is expensive in purchase and replacements but it should retain much of its value even for the newer models. Not easy to choose between good boats.
Two comments in reaction to your post:
1) The extra space in an ama is irrelevant. An ama is really good for storing things like fenders, laundry bags, recycling storage, bridals and light air sails. They are not good for tools, mechanical spares, or extra tankage. If you load them up with weight then you lose buoyancy enough to reduce the benefit of having an ama (which my iPad wants to call a llama )

2) Dragonflies might be expensive to buy but they're not expensive to own., Or at least not more expensive than any other boat. Maintenance and dockage is pretty much the same for a given size and finish level in the same geographical area. When you consider total cost of ownership my experience is that they're less expensive, because they hold value better if well maintained. I have owned a dragonfly 920, dragonfly 1000, and now a 1200. I sold both my 920 and my 1000 for more $ than I paid for them. I held them for five years and three years respectively. A lot of that had to do with the price of new boats rising, along with the euros value rising with respect to the dollar. Now that the euro-dollar relationship is more stabilized I don't expect to repeat that performance on the 1200, but I think it will hold it's value better than most other boats. The test will come when I sell it. A new Dragonfly 35 probably costs more today than the 1200 did back in 2001 when mine was made. The 1200 is a lot more boat, and if kept in great condition that enables a 1200 to sustain good value.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:22   #28

I think he was referring to the main hull (vaka?).

No argument about Dragonflys holding their value.

And lastly, many years ago I was very intrigued by plans for a Newick 60' proa. I was thinking it would be cool to be the first to circumnavigate on a proa. Luckily I didn't begin to have the finances to attempt something like that.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:29   #29

The consistency of the Dragonfly's you have sailed is remarkable. If the cost of maintenance of boats is expressed as a percentage of purchase cost then I assumed that although the parts hold out very well, replacement is proportionally more expensive. But ease of mind should also be part of that equation and then the Dragonfly probably excels.
Of course, one should not load up anywhere and certainly not in the ama's, but some light stuff takes up volume and contiguous volume like in the single large and long ama of the HarryProa makes it easier to store and retrieve those (do not confuse with the vintage proa's). In the HP 40' cruiser there is even good space in the "ama" longer hull for a pop up head. That is not heavy and keeping it out of the main hull has its advantages in hot weather.
In your experience, do you hold back for fear of pitchpoling as the ama's bows then were not as voluminous as they are today?
lucdekeyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:15   #30
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
The Dragonfly 35 costs already a disproportionate amount of money regarding the size of the boat. I love the boat and when it was launched I visited it and asked about the price that was something like 400 000 euros ...and that ended with my dreams of having one.
Why then not to build a custom tri at less money instead of terribly high priced DFs?
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage