Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2019, 16:31   #1

Dragonfly 32 or 28 input appreciated.

Possibly coming to the multihull dark side. Looking closely at Dragonfly DF 28 or 32. We live on the Columbia river with lots of shallow water to play in, with the possibility to turn right to the Pudget Sound or left to warmer water. All will be short handed. The DF 32 has it all but trailer ability and cost.

Anyone out there cruised either boat? Tradeoffs, random thoughts, we will take all the advice we can get.

https://dragonfly.dk

Many thanks
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 00:28   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk V
Re: Dragonfly 32 or 28 input appreciated.

What's it take to tow a 28? Large gaz guzzling vehicles are going the way of the Dodo.
Watched a vid on the 32 earlier which said they added length and volume to amas to reduce pitching in swells downhill.
Full disclosure, I own a Laser 1.

sorry.....
Drinky Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 02:53   #3

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I've owned a Condor 40, F31 and Corsair 36. All were great boats, and like all boats had their downsides.

All Dragonflys are built to the best level of finish; they are beautiful, and their closing system is easy and works like a charm. (My C36 was a beast to close, and to trailer, although it did have a trailer!). They also sail very well. For me the cost was prohibitive, as I wanted at least a 32+.

If I read correctly you're on the north west coast (?). I would think there'd be several Farriers or Kurt Hughes' designs floating around. That would be how I'd go.

Nice boats though!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 22:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinky Crow View Post
What's it take to tow a 28? Large gaz guzzling vehicles are going the way of the Dodo.

True but soon we will have electric trucks with loads of torque.

Watched a vid on the 32 earlier which said they added length and volume to amas to reduce pitching in swells downhill.
Full disclosure, I own a Laser 1.

Think I have seen that. Hmmmmmm

sorry.....
Sorry not needed. If we listen to only the things we want to hear no point in asking a question.
Old 30-10-2019, 02:11   #5

Boat: Fun&sporty Cat but looking for the one....

I´ve been looking at the 32 for a while now.

For my family the 28 is just a little bit too small, and the 32 is the only one that has a separate head, and for me that´s a must have. The new amas look amazing too.

After one visit I can tell you that the build quality is amazing, but the price has been keeping me away.
I haven´t sailed one yet, but I´ve been passed by one in the water and it just made me want one even more!

It´s on my very short list.....
aqu4tro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 05:07   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Well, if we were a bunch younger (!) and didn't want the comfort and freeboard of a cat, AND won the lottery (!), I'd be looking at this for sure:

https://dragonfly.dk/dragonfly-40
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 10:56   #7

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Viento. I have been on a new DF 35. Beautiful boat but I was surprised that its head was no bigger than the one on my Corsair F31. As you probably know the F31 is trailerable so you can get to the San Juan and Gulf islands in a day. Tahoe, SFO, SoCal, Baja, Bahamas a little longer. Not possible with a DF.

The F31 is slightly more boat camping than the DF 35 I saw. (The DF 32 likely will feel the same size as an F31.) However people, (myself included) spend a month or 2 on F31's all the time. I've a good friend who trailered to and spent 2 months in the Bahamas on his with watermaker and fridge all solar powered. A few around here have done the same to Baha as well. Several local F31ers have Webesto furnaces with outside kept a 2 gallon diesel tanks for the PNW. I'm 67 and raise and lower my F31 mast, solo, every year.

I'll link our NW Multihull Association if you want more info from a wide range of local multihullers or to come to our Seattle meetings, (we did get one Portlander up here this year). I might be able to get you a look at the DF 35 if you are interested. I know of another Puget Sounder with a larger older DF you might be able to get on. He posts here quite a bit, though I forget his forum name just now.

Good luck and let us know what you get.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 21:12   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

ejlindahl,

That would be me.
DF 1000 on central Whidbey Island.
I can make the San Juans in about 5 hours from my place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1131.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	202391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hero Shot Peyton.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	202392  

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 22:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Well, if we were a bunch younger (!) and didn't want the comfort and freeboard of a cat, AND won the lottery (!), I'd be looking at this for sure:

https://dragonfly.dk/dragonfly-40
Indeed and I would be next in line. Come on power ball
Old 30-10-2019, 23:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
Viento. I have been on a new DF 35. Beautiful boat but I was surprised that its head was no bigger than the one on my Corsair F31. As you probably know the F31 is trailerable so you can get to the San Juan and Gulf islands in a day. Tahoe, SFO, SoCal, Baja, Bahamas a little longer. Not possible with a DF.

The F31 is slightly more boat camping than the DF 35 I saw. (The DF 32 likely will feel the same size as an F31.) However people, (myself included) spend a month or 2 on F31's all the time. I've a good friend who trailered to and spent 2 months in the Bahamas on his with watermaker and fridge all solar powered. A few around here have done the same to Baha as well. Several local F31ers have Webesto furnaces with outside kept a 2 gallon diesel tanks for the PNW. I'm 67 and raise and lower my F31 mast, solo, every year.

I'll link our NW Multihull Association if you want more info from a wide range of local multihullers or to come to our Seattle meetings, (we did get one Portlander up here this year). I might be able to get you a look at the DF 35 if you are interested. I know of another Puget Sounder with a larger older DF you might be able to get on. He posts here quite a bit, though I forget his forum name just now.

Good luck and let us know what you get.
Ejlindahl
You are hitting on so many thoughts we are having re mullti hulls in general and the DFs. We just saw the two boats in Annapolis and were drawn to there build quality and level of support/service. Good chance we will head to their facilities to sail and look at build process further.

Having come from a 35 RC monohull everything on the DFs does seem smaller but we will be a crew of 2. The 28 is trailerable which we find desirable but has an outboard and we loved our diesel for the river when wind shuts off. The 32 has a diesel but is not trailerable and considerably more money. We absolutely love the idea and your suggestions to trailer to your neighborhood, Baja, or Florida. While I’m sure we will do it again , it would be nice to not have to beat up the Washington coast to get to your water. Cold wet lumpy no boat can fix that

This will likely be our last bigger boat and we are not getting younger. Have you ever felt Multihulls were more difficult on you as you have gotten “younger”? Maybe a bad question for a dude who can raise a mast single handed.

Also thanks for the invite to the NWMA I was on their site today. A good resource and will continue to follow.

Again, Many Thanks
Old 31-10-2019, 03:45   #11

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

Ejlindahl, in my opinion you are wrong when comparing the Dragonfly and the Farrier / Corsair boats by length.

The current generation Dragonfly boats are all "one size up", i.e. the DF 28 is comparable to the C31, both in weight and sail area, the usable interior space is not much smaller.

The Dragonfly 32 is a much bigger and heavier boat than than a C31, despite a similar length.

Paul

PS: I happen be a selling a really sweet Farrier F32RX in Europe because we switch to a large catamaran for long-term cruising.
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 03:49   #12

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

At least the Farrier/Corsair trimarans are really efficient at motoring in light winds even without an inboard. A 9.9HP Yamaha is plenty for my 32 foot trimaran. Those slender hulls are not only good for sailing. :-) I would assume, that the Dragonfly motors similar.

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 20:49   #13

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

SeniorM, Thanks for jogging my memory. We've conversed before and if I get tired beating my way up Admiralty Inlet I'll drop you a line if you are around for visit.

Others; I realize the DF is a step up in luxury & fit-out and aware the 32 likely would feel bigger than an F31, I'd just never been on one. Very nice boats. And thank you for letting me know that the DF 28 is trailerable, didn't know that.

All the best in your boat search. And let us know what you get!
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 13:21   #14

Boat: Seawind 1160

SV-Viento, there's a 2018 Corsair 970 Sport with carbon rig and sails for sale in Seattle. You should take a look at it. The interior of the 970 is a substantial improvement over the F31.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...nced%20listing
robwrongshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 14:43   #15

Boat: C&C 27 Mk V

US$ 239,000* Oh my eyeballs!
Drinky Crow is offline   Reply With Quote