Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 17:49   #16

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Double luff mainsail for cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Is one a racer or a cruiser? KISS is for cruisers.

Yeah, I haven't made up my mind yet.

I'm hoping it wont be tricky, looking at it I don't think you will need to rotate the mast to tack just for changes in angle of attack.
Old 03-07-2019, 18:48   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Dave,

All this discussion reminds me of a comment from Glenn Nichols (sp?), then a partner at Spar Master in Wynnum. He said they really liked designing and selling rotating masts, reason being that they knew that soon the mast would fall down and they could sell another one. Perhaps a bit jaded and superficial, but there sure were a lot of failures. and not just in their products. This was in 1996, and no doubt lots has changed since then, but the lingering worry of complicated rigging on cruising boats is still there in my mind.

Jim
Old 03-07-2019, 19:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Dave,

All this discussion reminds me of a comment from Glenn Nichols (sp?), then a partner at Spar Master in Wynnum. He said they really liked designing and selling rotating masts, reason being that they knew that soon the mast would fall down and they could sell another one. Perhaps a bit jaded and superficial, but there sure were a lot of failures. and not just in their products. This was in 1996, and no doubt lots has changed since then, but the lingering worry of complicated rigging on cruising boats is still there in my mind.

Jim
I take your point Jim. My boat used to have a CF rotating mast and the PO replaced it with a standard aluminium one. When asked why he said it was a PITA, I assumed he meant to use but maybe it didn't work too well. I wish it was still on the boat..... I think.

I get a lot of pleasure playing with these things if they work. I like efficiency but get so annoyed when they don't live up to the hype or break down or require lots of maintenance. To be successful they need to do all of these things.

I'll have a good look before I buy, if I buy. I think the price will put it out of reach anyway.
Old 03-07-2019, 19:20   #19

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...73328252750248

I could only find it on Facebook sorry. What do they mean by adjusting the "Slip"
Old 09-07-2019, 00:41   #20

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
Wharram designed sails like this for his cats many years ago, with the exception that they were much simplified by not having a rotating mast. Just a double luffed sail, wrapped around a round aluminum tubing mast. They also employed a short gaff at the sail head, not like a typical gaff rigger but instead hoisted with a single halyard, ie they were square tops.

Wharram builders have used them successfully for decades. Wharram said they were a significant improvement going to weather.

The double luff produces a cleaner air flow, without the break in the flow on the low pressure side which is inevitable with the typical Bermudian mast/sail connection.

Used on a cat, the very wide staying base reduces mast compression loads significantly. This enables a decently long mast without spreaders.
https://www.wharram.com/site/article...m-wingsail-rig
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:41   #21

Couple of things, a round fronted mast isn’t as aero as could be, secondly the rotating mast can be used to enhance or spoil the sail shape by over or under rotating which the Wharram can’t.
However simplicity is frugality is with the Wharram.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:01   #22

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Hmmm, I wonder how much of the performance improvement is due to the rotating mast, and being able to have better airflow across the luff. I know when we used to race Corsair 28R trimaran for years, correct mast rotation made a big difference.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, mainsail, sail