Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2008, 02:53   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by isbolick View Post
Again, we are in that research stage and I have read in several places that with a multihull you lose some of the feel of the wind. One of the things we really enjoy with our itty bitty boat is, well, sailing. Do you think that you lose some of that feel with a cat? I am thinking that the payoff of stability, breadth of deck and arrangement of living space counteracts any loss in the feel of the sailing, but for those of you who have sailed both, what are your thoughts?
Yes you do especcially with a performance oriented cat since the trip takes a shorter time so there is less sailing time spend on the water .

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 09:06   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
MAGNIFICENT VIDEO.........WOWWW
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 11:36   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbolick View Post
Again, we are in that research stage and I have read in several places that with a multihull you lose some of the feel of the wind. One of the things we really enjoy with our itty bitty boat is, well, sailing. Do you think that you lose some of that feel with a cat? I am thinking that the payoff of stability, breadth of deck and arrangement of living space counteracts any loss in the feel of the sailing, but for those of you who have sailed both, what are your thoughts?
This question can not be answered by anyone on this forum. It can only be answered by you. Find a local club with a Cat and go out with them. The experience on a Cat, IMHO, is totally different from a monohull. You must expereince it yourself.

I started out on monohulls and once I sailed a Cat, that was it, I was hooked. A cruising monohull is just out of the question for me... multihull or bust.
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 16:29   #19
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I think Sandy pretty much described my flavor of sailing, and I love it. I did watch 44'cruisingcat's video and am so exhausted after watching it that I better take a nap
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 10:21   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
It may not sound very exciting to someone else, but I get a lot of grins just being out on MY BOAT, with someone else at the wheel discovering the joy of letting the wind do all the work. That's why I enjoy sailing with a large club so much. That's quite a change for me: A hundred pounds ago I was a rabid Hobie 14 racer, and mostly miserable if I didn't have a hull out of the water.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 16:21   #21

Whats not to like about sailing to weather at 11k or off the wind in the high teens to mid twenties? I'm smiling every time we are powered up and I can feel all of that power being transmitted
drewke07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 21:02   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Check out this link to a video of the Newick trimaran Moxie at 16 knots on autopilot. I love the way the crew is just milling about hands in their pockets, taking it easy.

Dick Newick - Trimaran, Catamaran, Proa - Multihull Sailing at Speed

I have sailed my Searunner in conditions like that though I have not hit 16 knots. More like 10-12 in 20-25 knot wind, running with 6-8 foot waves. It was a blast, the boat is so responsive and comfortable, a joy to sail. Cans of beer sitting around the cockpit. This an old plywood cruising boat. I can only imagine what a more modern design like Senormechanico's Dragonfly would do.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 06:04   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think sailing is enhanced on a multi. As Steve Rust states, your drink can stay in place. I get a thrill of hitting the teens, and being able to walk around on a fairly flat, and stable surface. Not to mention hearing the water hiss, as the boat moves through it.

Cruising sailors spend a lot of their time at anchor, and this is where a multi truly enhances the experience. I single-handed my mono from S.F. to Cabo, and back. I was a wee bit stronger, and lost some weight by the time I arrived in Cabo. Of course a lot of the time I was hanging on, because of the movement of the boat. I guess you could say that was a plus side of the mono?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote