I think I read on this forum that somewas looking to make their own rope
clamps for a torsion rope
. I have just done this. I was quoted about $550 for the end fittings which is not too bad but the torsion rope was a great deal ($50) and I got the Code 0 for helping a friend out. The furling gear
was full price
I was going to use aluminium but I don't have a milling machine and am pretty crap with machining so I went with Tufnol. Tufnol is an old composite that seems to be made of many layers of canvas
glued together. It is tough, and glues to epoxy
really well. I use it around the boat
a lot. I got the Tufnol pieces for $20 as scrap.
I then routedout a channel 4mm deep and 18mm wide to take two passes of 11mm torsion rope. A little grinding on the sides and some sanding
at the throats to stop chafe was done as well.
I bought 12 1/4 hex bolts and nylocs to clamp the whole thing together. And when all cut out I sanded off the edges with my sander polisher.
My Code 0 is not used upwind or in big breezes. It is like a kite and only ever is hoisted to be used and comes down when not in use. It doesn't get used in big winds, but still I don't want the clamps slipping. I tried to test it with a 2 tonne jack in the shed - it didn't slip with that load but it was a bit skewiff.
I just went out and gave it a beta test on the boat
. I winched the whole thing up tighter than ever and it just sat there - no noises and no issues at all. In the photos you can see I didn't cut the long torsion line but just pushed the excess back into the luff pocket. The Code 0 now rolls up much better and I am happy with the clamps. They took me about $65 and about 3 hours to make.
is not such a worry, I just don't like paying for things I can make in a couple of hours.