Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2018, 14:23   #1

Boat: Gemini 3400
Dipstick issue

Hi All

We are getting ready to cruise, but before we do, I would like to change the transmission oil. It calls for a quart of SAE 30.
It's a 94 Gemini 3400, has a Westerbeke 30 B THREE engine and what appears to be a JS transmission.

I found what I believe to be the dipstick location but am unable to remove it.
In my case the finger ring is broken off, but I am still unable to budge it with pliers or trying to pry it loose. What's the secret? It is on the starboard side of the transmission, (rather than the port side as shown in the manual) is about the size of a dime and 1/4" tall.

Manual:
HTML Code:
https://www.westerbeke.com/operator%27s%20manual/20b%20two-30b-30c%20three%20operators%20manual%2036906%20rev%205.pdf
Thanks in advance, Stephen
stephenlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 15:02   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Dipstick issue

Use a 3/4"-1" chisel, bevel side against the engine, tap the butt with a hammer to wedge the sharp edge under the cap. Pry slightly, then change the direction. At some point you will be able to raise the cap enough to get some vice grips onto it. Then simultaneously pull upwards on the cap, which has now been loosened by the chisel, and pry with the chisel until you can get some needle nose pliers onto the flat dipstick material. Have a replacement dipstick ready. You can get a variety of dipsticks at auto parts stores and cut them to length as needed. File a notch where the range of oil levels needs to be. I needed to extend my Yanmar dipstick which was located in an unreachable location against my centerboard trunk. I extended the tube with a piece of copper tubing, sized to fit the dipstick width and the diameter of the orifice. Works great.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 15:08   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Hmmm...havent checked your tranny fluid recently have you? 😆
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:08   #4

Thanks Roy

I haven't tried it yet, but will do so very soon. Sprinkling here currently.
The fact that it has a finger ring ( broken off ) indicates that it's a pressure fit, rather than screwed in say, like that of a push lawn mower.

Still, I can't believe that it's in there so tightly. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 10-01-2018, 14:47   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Stephen,

Does the manual state it is only a pressure fit? Because, I could imagine it might have both a pull ring and threads. With all that evidence of salt water around it, it could be rusted a bit. You would want to do your breaking loose operation in the direction you would normally unwind something (anti-clockwise). Can you not get some vise grips on it? If you can't, get it to pry up, try "unscrewing" it, while delivering upwards pressure with a screwdriver, or the chisel, as suggested above.

Ann
Old 10-01-2018, 15:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You real sure that is a dipstick, and the stick isn’t part of the vent cap on the other side?
You did say the manual said it’s on the other side.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 23:33   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

The dip stick / filler cap on most transmission casings I have come across all screw off, unlike those on the actual engine, which just pull out.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 00:51   #8

Consider picking up a replacement before getting hammer and chisel out in case, you can't reuse the old one.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:41   #9

Boat: CS 33

Hi Your manual states the dipstick is held in by 2 o rings(on page before tranny drawing)Advice about the chisel seems appropriate. Hope this helps Peter
PDScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:42   #10

Thanks Peter
The saga continues...
Due to the confines of the compartment, I have only been able to to get a couple of small flat screwdrivers driven slightly underneath. (Not enough room for a chisel.) That, along with PB Blaster, a small pipe wrench, but still no joy.

Since this tranny is no longer in production, A replacement dipstick may be impossible to find and I'll be going with Roy's advice.

Anyone out there with a JS Transmission who could take a couple of pictures of their dipstick? That IS the JS Transmission dipstick.....Not theirs..

Thanks
Old 12-01-2018, 23:04   #11

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

you might see if a small gear puller, the cheaper variety with 2 or 3 jaws to grab onto (underneath) what looks like the head of the dip stick cover. Any auto parts store will have them or cheap set of them. You can't use it in the conventional way by turning the screw against a shaft but it may give you a bomb proof grip to tie a line too and get a few helpers to pull up hard. I would also consider that it also could be a screw out type even if it had a ring grab. I guess your manual doesn't mention this. There's got to be a owners forum some where Yahoo? Maybe a dealer has an oldtimer mechanic who can give you a few ideas. or just call or email the maker. good luck Nothing like old cars and boats to provide "interesting" challenges.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 02:05   #12

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Be careful with pb blaster. It will resolve any gasket it gets onto and then you will be looking at a rebuild. Also. Are you sure your manual is correctly describing your transmission? It it’s not showing the correct orientation of the dip stick, then maybe it’s wrong about the oil. Aren’t some older transmissions attached in a way that uses the engine oil? My first boat had a westerbrke 30..... forgot the trans however I do remember it was a screw off dip stick.
Good luck
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 04:57   #13

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Yes, I always have issues with dipsticks when ... Oh. Wait. You mean the one on the gearbox, not the ones on the docks.

Never mind.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 05:14   #14

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Can you weld or get welded a bolt on to the top of it?

Wet rags around where welding is and fire extinguisher to hand.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 07:26   #15

Spray all around and under with WD40 - let it sit an hour. Get biggest vice grips you can to grab the cap from above and lock on as tight as possible. Use a shifting spanner on the vise grips as close to jaws as possible and twist anti-clockwise. If it is a screw in that may work. If a pressure fitting it should twist out anyway.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote