Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2021, 07:17   #16

Re: Detailed review Nautitech Bavaria 46

I just surveyed and seatrialed a 2018 Nautitech 46 Open and I was not impressed by the build quality at all. Much of the standard hardware was corroding, paint cracking at the tips of the bows, seams coming out from around the keels, intake vent on backwards, rust rings around stantions, rivets popping out of the radar holder, and just general cost short cutting. The fundamentals may be sound, but I could see a lot of maintenance in the future. Extra work that some production boat manufacturers put onto whoever owns the boat in two years from new by using substandard parts and build methods. That said, it sailed beautifully so if you have the time and patience on your hands to get the boat up to standard over the years, it may be the one for you. We declined the boat and will spend a bit more for one from a different manufacturer for peace of mind and more time sailing than repairing.
Anchor Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:20   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
It is possible the quality of the boats has improved, it has been two years since I did a tour of the Nautitech factory where they were working on hull No. 20 at the time. I was not impressed with the factory at all, it was extremely dirty, disorganized, and clearly a 180 degree contrast from the FP factory I toured the same week. At the time I visited Nautitech, they were still very much in the process of integrating with Bavaria and new management had come in. They also had significant expansion plans and clearly needed more space. I have spoken to at least 6 owners of the boat with half of them unhappy with the quality of the boat and 1 in particular who indicated that he had significant structural issues with the boat. His boat was in the low 20's in terms of hull numbers.

Gary
I surveyed hull #37 last week which I was really not impressed with build quality wise.
Anchor Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 18:49   #18

GYRODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 20:46   #19

After reading all the comments about Nautitech & FP Helia, I have own both, and I'm amaze that nobody see the difference. The Nautitech is a serious "sailing vessel" conceived as a safe Sailing Vessel first, and cruising amenities later. MArc Lombard, Nautitech designer is consider the father of the multi hulls. The lower center of gravity on the 46 Open can not even be compared with The higher Helia that pitches much more. The Upwind angles you can achieve on a properly sailed Nautitech has nothing to do with a Helia. I will recommend a Helia, if you sail the Puget Sound in Seattle and you expend most of the time inside, but if you are in any other climate, you will enjoy much more the Nautitech open cockpit.
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 21:01   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom View Post
MArc Lombard, Nautitech designer is consider the father of the multi hulls.
Seriously - the father of multihulls, Arthur Piver might pre date him, and Loch Crowther who built his first tri when Lombard was about 3 months old might sneak in as well, when Lombard was 10 Crowther was winning New Your to Bermuda races in the Kraken 40. No doubt lombard is an accomplished and successful designer but the Father of Multihulls, - I don't think so.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 21:41   #21

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Absolutely correct and we may throw a few other pioneers such as certain Dick Newick, Rudy Choy, Peter Spronk, James Wharram, Jim Brown and Malcom Tennent into the ring as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Seriously - the father of multihulls, Arthur Piver might pre date him, and Loch Crowther who built his first tri when Lombard was about 3 months old might sneak in as well, when Lombard was 10 Crowther was winning New Your to Bermuda races in the Kraken 40. No doubt lombard is an accomplished and successful designer but the Father of Multihulls, - I don't think so.
Old 10-02-2021, 21:47   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Absolutely correct and we may throw a few other pioneers such as certain Dick Newick, Rudy Choy, Peter Spronk, James Wharram, Jim Brown and Malcom Tennent into the ring as well.
All valid observations, and not forgetting the designer of your fine boat, Richard Woods
Old 11-02-2021, 00:57   #23

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

The only reason I did not include Richard Woods & Nigel Irens and a few others is because they are slightly younger than the above and are therefore not the initial inventors of the modern multihull.
Even though they are great designers and wonderful people which I had the opportunity to work with in the past.

One person I did miss though is Derek Kelsall and, with Amarillis, Hereshoff!

Quote:
All valid observations, and not forgetting the designer of your fine boat, Richard Woods
Old 11-02-2021, 06:49   #24

Quote:

Well, of course it will be always be younger designers, let me add a word , It is consider the one of pioneers of the production scale multi hulls.
Old 16-02-2021, 18:13   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Well, of course it will be always be younger designers, let me add a word , It is consider the one of pioneers of the production scale multi hulls.
Yeah I think the PROUTS - Tom Lack - amongst others, might have pioneered production multis
Old 16-02-2021, 18:32   #26

Quote:
Yeah I think the PROUTS - Tom Lack - amongst others, might have pioneered production multis

Well, depending on the parameter you use. I use qty of boats deliver, andf Marc has surpass him by a wide margin.
Old 16-02-2021, 18:52   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Well, depending on the parameter you use. I use qty of boats deliver, andf Marc has surpass him by a wide margin.
Its not a him its a them
Old 17-02-2021, 07:48   #28

Quote:
Its not a him its a them

Correct, has surpass THEM, by a large margin.
Old 27-04-2021, 10:56   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor Horse View Post
I just surveyed and seatrialed a 2018 Nautitech 46 Open and I was not impressed by the build quality at all. Much of the standard hardware was corroding, paint cracking at the tips of the bows, seams coming out from around the keels, intake vent on backwards, rust rings around stantions, rivets popping out of the radar holder, and just general cost short cutting. The fundamentals may be sound, but I could see a lot of maintenance in the future. Extra work that some production boat manufacturers put onto whoever owns the boat in two years from new by using substandard parts and build methods. That said, it sailed beautifully so if you have the time and patience on your hands to get the boat up to standard over the years, it may be the one for you. We declined the boat and will spend a bit more for one from a different manufacturer for peace of mind and more time sailing than repairing.
-----
standard hardware was corroding

standard hardware corroding-
Shipyard do not produce standard hardware ,this is almost some on all yacht(with small difference Made in EU or China)

paint cracking at the tips of the bows, seams coming out from around the keels,
I don't understand this.what paint Ussualy factory don't paint yacht under couple mil€ 1 m2 painting is 100-120€ and more.What keels please do you have picture

intake vent on backwards, rust rings around stantions, rivets popping out of the radar holder, and just general cost short cutting.

Because you are a surveyor,I give you big secret from charter experience .All boat must be maintenance regularly. Polish +Wax every spring and late autumn Water clean and Thick layer of wax. For new yacht also Polish-Wax-Polish- selant .SS hand polish every 4 weeks.
Yacht over 2 mil€ Polish and waxing is continius every day 2-3 time in day. Always 2-3 staff must continius polishing yacht after every stop.

Also one secret Nautitech,Lagon,FP and other don't produce radar and radar holder. But Lot time Gay who install don't have Monel Blind Rivets and use SS. This is bad decision,also for you bay boat and deposit boat 1 season in Singapure or Panama and make survey.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 11:19   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
We did a seven day charter on an O46 last year in Croatia, here is my review of the boat:
Gary
Gary, also I search for Catamaran. But I don't pick a catamaran how is the color of the interior. sound insulation ,Noise Marco water pump ecc All this possible exchange easy.
But I don't bay new Lagoon 450S with huge construction hull problem. Plywood likes child work reinforce.
But space design in Lagoon 450S is excellent for 400000 € Far better is FP Saona 47 but also 500000€ is more expensive.
more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria