Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2022, 05:14   #106

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Delusion in the older Multi-Hull Market

In 2020 amidst the travel bans there were a few boats reaonably priced. But as soon as the bans were lifted prices climbed back to pre-covid and then just continued towards the sky.

I don't know if this will change anytime soon.

You could be right about inflation and energy cost and all that. But you could also be wrong.
For me I'd rather spend my money on a boat & holidays then to wait for the inflation to eat it.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 07:54   #107

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Brokers

I'm no fan of brokers but to be fair it's the sellers who ultimately set the price. The difference in a brokers commission on a $350,000 boat compared to a $400,000 boat is only $1250 unless he gets both halves of the deal. And if it doesn't sell at the high price that difference is nothing because that is what the commission is. If I was a broker I would want the boats priced to sell so I could have more sales with just a little less commission on each one.
Old 18-01-2022, 08:14   #108

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

In a "seller's" market neither brokers nor sellers set the market. The market is set by what buyers are willing to pay. The low availability of boats and the high prices are solely due to more people being willing to pay higher prices than there were in the mid/recent past. This is going on with houses as well. In many markets a large percentage of homes are selling for over asking price. You can hardly say brokers or sellers are setting the price when buyers offer more than the asking price.

If you are unable to buy the boat you want at the price you want, then you need to come to terms with the fact that someone else was willing to pay more for it than you were.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 09:08   #109

Boat: no boat any more

just wondering:
in the Pacific cruising is severely curtailed due to covid, quite probably in a lot of other locations too: where do all those new buyers figure they are going to cruise?
Could it be a sizeable proportion of the newbies, that now drive boatprices up, are in for a surprise when they will find out the aging boat is owning them, not the other way round?
Old 18-01-2022, 09:51   #110

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
Hell... Maybe I should list mine for sale.
Trade for a 38' Hunter?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 09:54   #111

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
was there ever a bubble that didn't burst? Just curious...
I've got some tulip bulbs you might want to take a look at
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 11:37   #112

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

I can't get my head around the demand for these giant cats.
From what I see, insurance companies are increasingly unwilling to write policies for them, except at exorbitant prices.

Marinas charge you double the going rate, if they have a slip that can accommodate you. Most boatyards can't, so those that do really belt you with the charges.
Their tall masts often can't fit under ICW bridges, which limits where you can go as well as where you can dock. Saildrives? Spare me. Builders love them, but they are headaches for owners.

Yeah, I know they have all of the luxuries of home, but don't you sail to get away from home and have some adventures? Rough it a little, upset the status quo of your life? It's like RVing in one of those 40-foot monsters.

I crewed on a 600-mile trip on a 48-foot cat. The motion in 6- to 8-foot seas in the Gulf of Mexico sickened four of the six people on board, all of them with decent sailing experience.
The cat kind of waddled in the following seas, rolling strongly from side to side. Crossing the cabin to a head was a death-defying experience. The steering station was so high that it aggravated sea sickness.
My much smaller monohull would have been moderately uncomfortable in the same seas, but nothing like that.

The cat, however, was wonderful at the dock. We all agreed it was better than a hotel room ...
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 11:44   #113

Most of these posts including the original are like complaining that water is wet of heat is hot.................
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 12:02   #114

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
... If it's the one in Bradenton, it's still listed as active (but the house we have a contract on didn't shift to "pending" until 2 weeks after the contract was submitted -- so who knows).

It was. Boat is no longer here - the broker has said he was going to move it to Ft Lauderdale to take advantage of the bigger pool of buyers.

Only good thing I can think of to say about what that voyage would be like is "well at least you'll have to be out in the cockpit to steer the boat."
Old 18-01-2022, 12:10   #115
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
From what I see, insurance companies are increasingly unwilling to write policies for them, except at exorbitant prices.

Marinas charge you double the going rate, if they have a slip that can accommodate you. Most boatyards can't, so those that do really belt you with the charges.
Their tall masts often can't fit under ICW bridges, which limits where you can go as well as where you can dock. Saildrives? Spare me. Builders love them, but they are headaches for owners.

Yeah, I know they have all of the luxuries of home, but don't you sail to get away from home and have some adventures? Rough it a little, upset the status quo of your life? It's like RVing in one of those 40-foot monsters.

I crewed on a 600-mile trip on a 48-foot cat. The motion in 6- to 8-foot seas in the Gulf of Mexico sickened four of the six people on board, all of them with decent sailing experience.
The cat kind of waddled in the following seas, rolling strongly from side to side. Crossing the cabin to a head was a death-defying experience. The steering station was so high that it aggravated sea sickness.
My much smaller monohull would have been moderately uncomfortable in the same seas, but nothing like that.

The cat, however, was wonderful at the dock. We all agreed it was better than a hotel room ...

If I were you I wouldn’t buy a large catamaran. But many seem to enjoy them.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 16:22   #116

Quote:

And plenty of people can't wrap their head around living on a 32' monohull, but oddly they don't seem to feel the need to share that opinion with everyone. If you don’t like giant cats, don't buy a giant cat. No need to pontificate about them or those who buy them, what's the point of that?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 17:30   #117

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
And plenty of people can't wrap their head around living on a 32' monohull, but oddly they don't seem to feel the need to share that opinion with everyone. If you don’t like giant cats, don't buy a giant cat. No need to pontificate about them or those who buy them, what's the point of that?

My point goes back to the OP's puzzling over why sellers want top dollar for old, junked-out cats.

I observed that many cats, even those in good condition, don't sail very well and are extremely expensive to operate and maintain, although they can be luxurious.

So what's going on?

Large catamarans are the current status symbols in sailing. When you want to make a statement on land, you buy a Rolls or a Jaguar. When you want to make one on water, you buy a Leopard 48 or something similar.

Nothing wrong with that if you have the money and don't mind spending it. But there are less expensive cars that drive better than a Jaguar and less expensive boats that sail much better than a big cat.

Don't talk down to 32-foot sailboats. I sail 125 to 150 days a year. The big cats at my marina rarely leave the dock. And the people who charter big cats seem to motor most of the time, while I prefer to sail.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 17:52   #118
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Delusion in the older Multi-Hull Market

Quote:
My point goes back to the OP's puzzling over why sellers want top dollar for old, junked-out cats.

I observed that many cats, even those in good condition, don't sail very well and are extremely expensive to operate and maintain, although they can be luxurious.

So what's going on?

Large catamarans are the current status symbols in sailing. When you want to make a statement on land, you buy a Rolls or a Jaguar. When you want to make one on water, you buy a Leopard 48 or something similar.

Nothing wrong with that if you have the money and don't mind spending it. But there are less expensive cars that drive better than a Jaguar and less expensive boats that sail much better than a big cat.

Don't talk down to 32-foot sailboats. I sail 125 to 150 days a year. The big cats at my marina rarely leave the dock. And the people who charter big cats seem to motor most of the time, while I prefer to sail.

We sailed to one of our favorite anchorages on New Years Eve and spent New Year’s Day there as well. This anchorage has a great view of Hawks Channel on the ocean side of the Fl Keys. Now the monohulls in the Keys far outnumber the catamarans but I was amazed to see the vast number of boats out actually sailing were catamarans. Vast meaning probably 80-90%. I don’t know who were going faster or who were enjoying the day more, what I do know is there were far more catamarans out there enjoying the day than monohulls. I guess it’s different in all parts of the country.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 18:18   #119

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Some people just have to spew their anti catamaran (secretly jealous) dribble even when its not relevant. This is in the multi hull section so why are you even here?
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 18:56   #120

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Funny, so we have different opinions. Some say it's the Sellers fault beeing so griedy, some say it's the Buyers fault offering more than asking price, and some even hold Brokers responsible for their yada yada....

I guess it's right in the middle of that triangle....

I still believe Brokers have a big share of that pot....

Tags
hull