Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 23:36   #1

Boat: TBA
Dean 5000 Vs Knysna 500

Hi guys n girls, For a variety of reasons I'd rather not go into ( included) we (wife and I) find ourselves being drawn to a choice between the Dean 5000 and the Kynsna 500. Both 50ft, both comfortable cruisers, both seem to have similar hull shapes. Dean is 21tons, Kynsna 13... but with different sail plan sizes. Will that weight difference make a huge difference sailing? (We're circumnavigating) Has anyone suggestions/opinions on why one is better than another?
I've looked at loads over the past few years and have even made arrangements to view specific boats for sale but things got in the way of being able to go forward and I have a window of a couple of months before we settle on a purchase.

Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 21:08   #2

Boat: Knysna 500SE
Re: Dean 5000 Vs Knysna 500

Try and sail the dean in 2+ m waves and the amount of green water on the bows will match the weight difference. The knysna 500 behaviour in rough seas is great. There are of course other pluses and minuses to consider but weight is crucial in cats. By the way the knysna 500 loaded (CE weight is closer to 16 tons).

Old 19-08-2019, 00:00   #3

Boat: Discovery 50

udyy - Would be interested in hearing what you consider to be the other pros and cons ?
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 00:14   #4

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyy View Post
Try and sail the dean in 2+ m waves and the amount of green water on the bows will match the weight difference. The knysna 500 behaviour in rough seas is great. There are of course other pluses and minuses to consider but weight is crucial in cats. By the way the knysna 500 loaded (CE weight is closer to 16 tons).
Sorry to be a pain but im not sure I understand.. the Dean is heavier? Did you mean the Knysna in 2m waves takes on water? My one main concern in both boats is- Dean/speed. Vs Knysna/slamming.
I've been assured by a couple of people on both fronts but they are not big in number.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 05:43   #5

Boat: Knysna 500SE

No pain unfortunately unless you are a seasoned delivery captain, in this selection process, you are mostly shooting in the dark.
I must say that my experience with Dean is limited to 2 daily sails once on the old dean and once on the Exquisite which is the evolution of the Dean (I should emphasize that I found a lot of smart seaworthy features on the Exquisite probably due to the vast sailing/operating experience of the company owners). I have sailed over 8000 nm on the knysna so neturally I know the knysna much better.
The Dean is the one taking water on the bow reletively soon. I do not see it as cardinal issue since cats do not carry the water long due to the nets (unless they have front porch and clogged scoops). This is surely connected to weight and its distribution. That's said, in big seas most the cats I have sailed will get breaking waves once in a while. More breaking waves stress (me) and reduce the comfot level.
As for weight, you must compare apples to apples. One way is to find the CE weight which means that the weight includes partially full water and diesel tanks, all the equipment provided by the manufacturer, safety equipment and crew. So you will to find what's exactly is included in this figure. The knysna, exquisite,and most south African cats (except Leopard) that i know, are sold as more or less complete boats. Hence they come with genset, watermaker, multiple fridges, AC and safety equipment. Most European cats provide these items either as factory options or aftermarket installation so I am not sure that they include these options in the weight. Unfortunately not every mfr will provide the CE weight. Furthermore, many cats made changes to the original navel architecture design so its not certain that they actually know the exact numbers. You knowbit when you weight it.
As for slamming, bridge clearance is only one part (and to my opinion not always the major factor). Speed, sea condition, wave length, hulls shape, hulls distance and probably more factors that i cannot quantify influence slamming. I have sailed few cats but always in rather limited sets of sea conditions so my experience is partial at best. I have sailed the knysna in almost every sea conditions and my experience is that it slams very little. Again, you cannot compare it to a performance cat sailing at 14-15 knots and slamming extensively vs the knysna in the same conditions which will do 8-9 knots and slam less.
As for pros and cons you can pm me your contact and we can chat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Sorry to be a pain but im not sure I understand.. the Dean is heavier? Did you mean the Knysna in 2m waves takes on water? My one main concern in both boats is- Dean/speed. Vs Knysna/slamming.
I've been assured by a couple of people on both fronts but they are not big in number.