Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2020, 03:06   #16

Re: Dean 5000 Vs Knysna 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyy View Post
I would say that I was never bothered extremely by this boat's slamming. The only occasions when we had real slamming was with 40 knots, 4 m wind waves behind and 3 m swell on the side near Richards bay. I must say that I was much more occupied with steering, communicating with the crew and dealing with the failed electric installation of the factory. Slamming was just part of the overall noise and was not alarming. I had some slamming crossing from East Africa to Seychelles. This was with the 30-40 kn on AWA 45 degrees. You would get some slam every 5 min. or so when the boat was in some sync with the waves or some freak wave came. It was not alarming as well.
Sailing is one of the positive sides of the k500. It was designed by Levranos (same navel architect of the St. Francis) as an ocean-going boat. The target was the Indian ocean which is demanding. While some design features may have been lost during the evolution the basics stayed. This an old classic hull design, which may not have all the goodies of contemporary designs but it does work. I have been in many rough seas and the boat behaved great. As for pointing, I would say that up to 40-45 APA there are no issues whatsoever. I did manage to point up to 27 APA when constrained by coastal navigation. In order to do so, you have to tweak the attack angle of the gib with additional blocks and you lose speed. But this is in par to many monohulls I sailed.
I Hope my 2c helps.
great feedback thank you very much! sounds like you had an interesting day in 40 knots!!! generally speaking when youre sailing, what level of windspeed do you get? i use a rule of thumb that i normally get half wind speed, obviously sometimes when pointing that can drop, and with big sails up it can increase, but I voyage plan in the med at around 5.5 6 knots in average winds 10-12 knots....how do that compare for you? on one engine I do 5.5knots when no wind, on both around 6.5-7 at 2200... again how does that compare? do you have the standard 57 hp?
gelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 03:26   #17

Boat: Knysna 500SE

Assuming clean bottom and thanks to the Autoprops i'd say
  • The sweet spot of 70-100 AWA like 60%
  • Upwind ~ 50%
  • Downwind 60% but I managed some unvolontary surfing @ 23 Kn
  • 1 engine @2500 7-8 kn
  • 2 engines @2500 8-10 kn.
I do my planing at 6kn and on average we do 170-180 nm/24h and in the last crossing during some strong SE monson blow, I broke my own record 2 consequetive days with 253 and 235 nm/24h.
Old 25-09-2020, 03:33   #18

brilliant thank you very much.....sounds like similar to Nautitech faster than the production cats but with better quality...thanks for the great feedback
Old 25-09-2020, 03:34   #19

Quote:
Assuming clean bottom and thanks to the Autoprops i'd say
  • The sweet spot of 70-100 AWA like 60%
  • Upwind ~ 50%
  • Downwind 60% but I managed some unvolontary surfing @ 23 Kn
  • 1 engine @2500 7-8 kn
  • 2 engines @2500 8-10 kn.
I do my planing at 6kn and on average we do 170-180 nm/24h and in the last crossing during some strong SE monson blow, I broke my own record 2 consequetive days with 253 and 235 nm/24h.
Engines sound good, what is autoprops? new props?
anything you'd change about the boat? what do you llike/dont like?
massively appreciate the feedback btw!
Old 25-09-2020, 03:39   #20

I cannot generalize about production boats quality but KYC quality out of the factory is debatable It took me (and other owners) hundreds of hours to fix their issues. Once stabilized its a nice boat.
Old 25-09-2020, 04:01   #21

Autoprops are Burnton's variable pitch feathering props. In essence they reduce the drag when sailing but provide variable pitch (moment) when motoring. When compared with previous K500 before mine, even with 75HP, performance with the AP was much better. the 75HP seems to be dead weight.
What would I change? The aftersales service, the OEM components warranty handling, financial guarantees for delivery, SLA, quality and warranty. I'd use professional services to review the engineering and processes.
I'd go with full DC boat (DC generator which KYC do today following my boat), The HVAC installation , 2 fuel tanks and not single point of failure, reefing lines to the cockpit...
Old 25-09-2020, 04:10   #22

thanks buddy appreciate it...I take it reefing done at mast then? your boat only came with one tank? autoprops sound good! interesting your experience with the factory, most other people Id spoken to so far all say that quality was great and one of the best things about these boats...mind you youre the first Ive spoken who had one from new
Old 25-09-2020, 04:17   #23

Well, in this industry buying a new boat seems to be the opposite from buying a new car. You do get the opportunity to specify and configure but you get a bundle of challenges with that. With COVID around us I am was looking at other boats to purchase focusing at 1-5 years old. Let someone else pave the road.
Old 25-09-2020, 06:12   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelliott View Post
? your boat only came with one tank?
All K500 have one diesel tank which is a deviation from the original Levranos design where there were 2 tanks at the bottom of the hulls. It may simplify by using gravitation but for cruising purposes using one tank create single point of failure due to fuel contamination, failure in the piping, etc. Furthermore its better keeping the weight low.
Old 25-09-2020, 10:13   #25

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Autoprops are Burnton's variable pitch feathering props. In essence they reduce the drag when sailing but provide variable pitch (moment) when motoring. When compared with previous K500 before mine, even with 75HP, performance with the AP was much better. the 75HP seems to be dead weight.
What would I change? The aftersales service, the OEM components warranty handling, financial guarantees for delivery, SLA, quality and warranty. I'd use professional services to review the engineering and processes.
I'd go with full DC boat (DC generator which KYC do today following my boat), The HVAC installation , 2 fuel tanks and not single point of failure, reefing lines to the cockpit...
Thanks for the information.. I too found it very interesting. When you say 75hp dead weight I assume you mean the smaller units would be fine?

Also I have also seen these with engines under the bunks or out by the transoms .. inside the access seems great but I didn't know how it was with transom access.. it looked very tight to me?? How and where is yours?
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 10:56   #26

Mine is with engines located under the bunks. It was my request and got Levranos blessings. In fact, all boats after mine have done the same. Even some older boats chose to modify and move their engines from the aft to under the bunks. The impact on the trim by centring the load improves the performance considerably. Another advantage is the ability to work on the engines while sailing. With big seas behind, it is impractical and dangerous to keep the aft open in case of need. Some boats I know install washboards.
I believe that engines behind have sufficient service space though I have never tried it. I prefer the access under the bunks.
One aft section is used by me as a diving room (compressor, gear and tanks) and the other as storage.
As for the 75 hp, the one boat equipped with 75s that I know was 2kn slower than mine with 57s (probably because the engine was located aft and they chose to follow KYC advise and use fixed props). A boat with a clean bottom with 57s easily reaches hull speed so I do not see how the 75 helps.