Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2023, 03:02   #1

Current Marine CM46/CM52 performance cruiser

Does anyone have experience dealing with Current Marine in Knysna, SA.

They offer a 46/52 foot catamaran based on a Schionning production design.
https://schionningdesign.com/cm52-catamaran/

Here is a video of one of their first boats:

And here is a blog about a customer building one:
https://rushcruising.com/category/the-boat/

I'm in the market for a 50 foot performance cat, looking at alternatives to Outremer. These boats seem to be significantly lighter and stronger? (epoxy/carbon).

Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
raicruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 06:07   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Current Marine CM46/CM52 performance cruiser

Julian of Current Marine is amazing to work with - he's a co-owner of Max Cruise too. With the dozen plus builds he's done of Schionning designs, he knows his stuff for those models.

While we haven't been on the CM, everything I've seen makes it perfect to my eyes. So perfect that I spent months trying unsuccessfully to get him to sell me an empty hull.
Old 28-03-2023, 03:59   #3

Hi Matt, I have been following CM since a while ago (despite being still not close enough for purchasing a cat) for a couple of reasons:
. I love Schionning design cats
. Helms position
. Building materials
. Expected performance

However, since my wife and mine expectations for a live aboard cat unfortunately lay right in the middle between comfort and performance, I am a bit worried on the possible noise down in the hulls due to them being completely bare with no added panels (low weight which is superb, but noise on passage and at anchor???).

Since you are building one and you know a lots more than others on construction and outcomes of choices done in building a cat, do you have an opinion if this could be an issue in such light weight cats?

Thank you
Giova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 06:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giova View Post
Hi Matt, I have been following CM since a while ago (despite being still not close enough for purchasing a cat) for a couple of reasons:
. I love Schionning design cats
. Helms position
. Building materials
. Expected performance

However, since my wife and mine expectations for a live aboard cat unfortunately lay right in the middle between comfort and performance, I am a bit worried on the possible noise down in the hulls due to them being completely bare with no added panels (low weight which is superb, but noise on passage and at anchor???).

Since you are building one and you know a lots more than others on construction and outcomes of choices done in building a cat, do you have an opinion if this could be an issue in such light weight cats?

Thank you

I don't like noises caused by the boat and was sailing on an epoxy/carbon boat similar to the CM, without liners - there was no noise - those performance boats slam less into the waves and high bridge deck clearance helps.

Outremer use foam to separate furniture from structure.
https://youtu.be/QuwRgHrGShU?t=707
I think CM and others laminate the furniture into the structure. Not sure which approach is better and why Outremer went that way.
raicruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 07:17   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Yes, the boat with less soft coverings will be louder. Take any boat (or room in a house) and remove the cushions and mattresses to see how much the soft furnishings reduce noise. It's pretty amazing the difference. But it doesn't need to be every surface covered. Just a vinyl overhead - which I believe the CM has- does a good job in absorbing sound waves.

Another thing is the cabinets in the hulls. A lot of the at anchor water noise is reduced if the cabinets extend to the sole where no hull side by the waterline is exposed to the interior.

But I promise you'd get used to it. If all the other important "comfort" items you are looking for are met by the CM, I don't think potential noise should stop you.

Matt
Old 28-03-2023, 08:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
Yes, the boat with less soft coverings will be louder. Take any boat (or room in a house) and remove the cushions and mattresses to see how much the soft furnishings reduce noise. It's pretty amazing the difference. But it doesn't need to be every surface covered. Just a vinyl overhead - which I believe the CM has- does a good job in absorbing sound waves.

Another thing is the cabinets in the hulls. A lot of the at anchor water noise is reduced if the cabinets extend to the sole where no hull side by the waterline is exposed to the interior.

But I promise you'd get used to it. If all the other important "comfort" items you are looking for are met by the CM, I don't think potential noise should stop you.

Matt
Thank you Matt for your thorough and transparent answer.
All the best for your project ... can't wait to see you guys finally travelling around with your "creation"
Giova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, current, marine