Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 12:52   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Cruising World Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Since I currently don't own either a cat or mono that I am trying to promote for its resale value, I am a lot less biased than you.
Seriously - about two posts back you say you will not buy a cat? Thats fine happy for you - but seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Since I currently don't own either a cat or mono that I am trying to promote for its resale value, I am a lot less biased than you.
I didn't realise that 44C was selling his boat? I will have to find the ad - the Oram 44s are a great boat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 13:12   #47

Quote 44C: "Oh rubbish. Anyway, I don't claim to be unbiased. I've owned both. I know which I prefer.

And if I wanted to get back into a mono it would be so easy. They're so cheap. It's almost as if nobody wants them."

Quote Factor: "Good for you. So you are passing postulated judgements in the multi section because?"

What's happening, I agree with both of you in the same thread at the same time, not leaving me any room for discussion. I will have to abandon the computer and go find a boat job that needs doing.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 13:14   #48

"I'm totally unbiased, but I'd NEVER own a cat"

LOL yeah right.....

Sorry mr Radcliffe but hundreds of your previous posts give you away.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 13:18   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote 44C: "Oh rubbish. Anyway, I don't claim to be unbiased. I've owned both. I know which I prefer.

And if I wanted to get back into a mono it would be so easy. They're so cheap. It's almost as if nobody wants them."

Quote Factor: "Good for you. So you are passing postulated judgements in the multi section because?"

What's happening, I agree with both of you in the same thread at the same time, not leaving me any room for discussion. I will have to abandon the computer and go find a boat job that needs doing.
I know! Its weird!
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 13:55   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ahhh, come on 44! wouldn't you have been disappointed if no one responded to your posting that very enthusiastic article by hoisting the mono vs multi battle flag?

I think I'm pretty neutral on the subject, but obviously many are not, and such stories always bring out the very best of prejudices on both sides. Sometimes it is entertaining, other times, not so much when it gets vituperative.

Oh well, such is the internet!

Jim
Old 08-02-2017, 14:05   #51

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

44c i hear your vessel is up for sale.

Guess I will have to join the list.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 14:14   #52

Jim you obviously are reasonable active on the forum and because of your vessel of choice, I assume you are over on the mono side of the forum as well.

The question is, are there multi hull owners over there constantly pushing their choice or opinion of vessel, when ever a question is asked?

Guess I could wade through a few weeks of threads to gain an insight, but does not interest me particularly.

If 44C had posted the article in the mono section, I could see how it would be viewed as "hoisting the mono vs multi battle flag?" but here it's an interesting article, preaching to the already or soon to be converted or at least the mildly interested, or so I would think anyway.

PS: This is in no way having a go at you personally because as you say "I think I'm pretty neutral on the subject" with which I agree.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 14:39   #53

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Jim you obviously are reasonable active on the forum and because of your vessel of choice, I assume you are over on the mono side of the forum as well.

The question is, are there multi hull owners over there constantly pushing their choice or opinion of vessel, when ever a question is asked?

Guess I could wade through a few weeks of threads to gain an insight, but does not interest me particularly.

If 44C had posted the article in the mono section, I could see how it would be viewed as "hoisting the mono vs multi battle flag?" but here it's an interesting article, preaching to the already or soon to be converted or at least the mildly interested, or so I would think anyway.

PS: This is in no way having a go at you personally because as you say "I think I'm pretty neutral on the subject" with which I agree.
Paul, I sure didn't say that 44 "hoisted the flag", but that such a post was bound to elicit that response... it always does!

And you are correct in that it was posted in the mulltihull forum. I don't pay any attention to the forum titles myself... I'd miss out on too many mis-posted threads. My methodology for CF is simply to go to 'new posts" and see what pops up. But for the record, yes, folks do show up in monohull threads saying things like "you should really just buy a cat"... etc. I tend to ignore them, just as I ignore the folks who routinely bash multis.

Anyhow, just to set the record straight, Ann and I were to the point of making a serious offer on a stretched Catana 42 when our current boat came on the market. It ticked virtually all our boxes (and we had been searching for three years at that time) so we leaped at the chance. And, to be honest, Ann finds the quick and somewhat jerky motion of the cats we've sailed on to be upsetting, so she was a bit reluctant... but willing to try.

So, I'll now bow out and let the thread evolve... with me as a spectator.

Jim
Old 08-02-2017, 15:01   #54

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Dang, maybe I can get us back on civil discussion, at least on one motor vs two. On two motors, at about 4000 rpm, we burn around 0.85 gal per hour total, and make about 5.5 knots. On one motor, we make about 4 knots and burn 0.5 gal per hour. I know because we have lots of time and experience on two motors, but couldn't carry that much fuel to get from ft Myers to grand isle on two motors. So cut back to one motor alternating every twelve hours, for the five day passage across flat seas and no wind to grand isle.

Once the boat gets moving, I think the keels keep it pretty straight. I don't think rudder leeway and turbulence is a big issue. Otho, from dead start, one motor does a really good job of making the boat turn circles regardless of the rudder.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 15:09   #55

Although this is only my second post I have been reading this forum for a number of years and through most of the sections as well.

From memory it is rear, all be it does occur on the odd occassion, that a multi owner comments in the mono hull sections comparing multi's to mono's. On the other hand it is nearly impossible to have a thread about anything that goes wrong on a multi without a number of mono owners wading in and usually sooner or later passing disparaging comments.
Having said that from what I have noticed over time often the people who tend to go looking for a opportunity to bag out multi's will also spend time putting down the newer production mono boats as well. Im guessing that is how some people get their jollies, otherwise why do it?

Cheers ... Terry
Terry.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 15:53   #56

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
....So cut back to one motor alternating every twelve hours, for the five day passage...
Quote:
....Once the boat gets moving, I think the keels keep it pretty straight....
How does your autopilot handle being propelled by only one motor vs two? Obviously its going to work to keep you on course, but is it working harder/longer to counteract the push from one hull only?
BravoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 16:12   #57
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

This article was written by a very well known couple who used to cruise on a full keel monohull. Their fame and was gained from their sailing on their mono not their multi. I'm guessing their opinion is pretty unbiased.
And to the monohullers that can't help but come on the multihull threads and spread your ignorance.....cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 16:16   #58
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

"I'm totally unbiased but I know which I prefer!" :-o

Funny how cat people discuss how many engines to use for sailing while mono people shut them all down and use the wind. Guess that gives my preference away ;-)

It sometimes feels that threads like these (both ways) are started because people are unsure of the choice they made and seek reassurance and comfort. It is never a mono sailor posting about how or why people prefer multi hulls or never a cat sailor about how somebody shows that mono's are better.

Relax, go sailing, enjoy life.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 16:21   #59
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
"I'm totally unbiased but I know which I prefer!" :-o

Funny how cat people discuss how many engines to use for sailing while mono people shut them all down and use the wind. Guess that gives my preference away ;-)

It sometimes feels that threads like these (both ways) are started because people are unsure of the choice they made and seek reassurance and comfort. It is never a mono sailor posting about how or why people prefer multi hulls or never a cat sailor about how somebody shows that mono's are better.

Relax, go sailing, enjoy life.

Guess you have a little cross swell in that anchorage and your skinny beamed Sundeer is rolling from rail to rail. Don't worry, get tied up in that nice protected marina and you will probably regain your senses😁

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 16:58   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoMike View Post
How does your autopilot handle being propelled by only one motor vs two? Obviously its going to work to keep you on course, but is it working harder/longer to counteract the push from one hull only?
No because it doesn't take any more power to lock the rudder a degree or two off centre than it does to lock it dead centre. It only takes power to move it.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising