Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 12:51   #16

Boat: Looking now!
Re: Cruising catamarans around $100K

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyS View Post
My wife and I are a couple years from trying life on the water. We are wondering if a catamaran that is capable of making the trip to and around the Bahamas and Caribbean is obtainable in the $100k range? Any information on what we should look / look out for would be appreciated.
Please provide more details. What do you mean by "trying life on the water"? Do you mean you intend to live aboard eventually? Do you intend to live aboard a ~$100,000 cat, or do you want a $100,000 cat as your first foray before a larger, more permanent investment in time and money?
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 16:34   #17

Catalac and the British made Sailcraft catamarans (there was a Canadian Sailcraft builder of monohulls) are oldies, but well built and more than capable as are the previously mentioned Prouts.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 17:20   #18

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

You might pick up a good Wharram in this price range. Very seaworthy vessels, but spartan in all but safety, and you need to check constantly any wooden vessels for rot and chafe.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 19:29   #19
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

I have a Beneteau Blue 2 for sale at 70k check my cert.
doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 05:15   #20

Boat: C&C

Go to Catamarans.com and type in the name box-"Bearsnest". She's a 37ft 1992 Fountaine Pat Antigua 37. Right in your price range and a solid boat perfect for the Bahamas and Caribbean. PM me if you want any additional info.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 05:45   #21

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Go to Catamarans.com and type in the name box-"Bearsnest". She's a 37ft 1992 Fountaine Pat Antigua 37. Right in your price range and a solid boat perfect for the Bahamas and Caribbean. PM me if you want any additional info.

I have delivered one of these through a Biscay storm, very seaworthy and very livable.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 07:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
I looked at Geminis and excluded them for design reasons. Go on board one. See where they stuff the batteries. You need agm's as servicing them is ridiculous. Walk from the cockpit up to the bow. Notice how tight the walkway area is. Fine in a slip but in rough seas in the middle of the night? No thanks. Look at the Island Packet Cat 35 by Island Packet Yachts. Look at the engine rooms, how much space you get overall in the same size boat and a much higher quality build. Prout's are very good too as well as the older FP's etc.
Our's were "stuffed" in the seat next to the door. Very convenient for servicing as you could sit on the stairs right next to them. I've also seen people put them in the rear cockpit seat hatch.

Going up to the bow, in calm, it's easier to just go over the top but other than going slow, it's easy to go along the side even with my size 13 feet with hand holds the entire way. You can't run up to the bow but it's only about 20ft of narrow deck. We also had a Catalac 10m with wider decks...really didn't get to the bow any faster.

No thanks to engine rooms. Keep the engine out of the living space in the tropics. Really in that size range, you don't need twin engines and the weight and hassle that come with them. Now I do much prefer outboard over the I/O design for maintenance.

We are looking again and it will most likely be another Gemini.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 07:35   #23
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

Beneteau Blue 2 for sale see pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side pic.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	220109   Click image for larger version

Name:	blue 2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	220110  

Name:	IMG_2568_resized.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	220111   Click image for larger version

Name:	looking out sittee.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	220112  

doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 07:46   #24

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Another vote for the TPI Lagoon here and Beneteau Blue 2 (if you can find one that is!). The Prout 37's are getting on quite a bit and whatever you find will probably need some updating. FP's are nice as well. Check sailboatlistings as well... Hitchhikers, there's a nice 41ft catamaran down in the Carib already that used to be owned by the editor of YM, etc etc

I wouldn't stress about the Gulfstream from FL to Bimini... it's pretty much a coastal sail, given at the mid-point you're only 25nm from land. Pick the right day, mosey on over and from there it's all coastal sailing.

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:18   #25

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would say he's "right and wrong". Not a cat I would want for long distance cruising, BUT Bahamas? Sure. I saw a few in the Caribe. Albeit mostly the Bahamas. They have very low bridgedeck clearance.

The TPI built Lagoon 37 Cat may be a good choice for your budget, albeit getting long in the tooth and not a ton of them around. They were nicely built by TPI vacuum molded when it wasn't a thing, with a lot of bridgedeck clearance. Maybe an older Manta? The old FP's had a reputation for delaminating hulls, but they still got around.

Lagoon 37 TPI for sale Bahamas
I have a 37'TPI Lagoon. It is a very solid boat. Deck had soft spots (all gone). I am all in at $90k (purchase and repairs all done by me) after purchasing a repo with no mast. I definitely don't recommend going my route but they have good bones. Of course there are still items I want to change but.... you know, it is a boat.
I was planning a Gemini purchase prior to finding my boat. I would have no problem taking a Gemini to Bahamas and down to Turks and Caicos. Heck, it is a great ICW boat as well. The only change I would make is make a twin screw. I would shy away from the Hunter built boats and stick with Catalina or from the crew from up north-Performance Cruising with Tony Smith. I found several Hunter built Geminis had severe cracking in the deck and the topsides were fairly flimsy. They were in the yard getting the deck repainted after grinding out all the crazing. $$$$$$
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 16:39   #26

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
I have a 37'TPI Lagoon. It is a very solid boat. Deck had soft spots (all gone). I am all in at $90k (purchase and repairs all done by me) after purchasing a repo with no mast. I definitely don't recommend going my route but they have good bones. Of course there are still items I want to change but.... you know, it is a boat.
I was planning a Gemini purchase prior to finding my boat. I would have no problem taking a Gemini to Bahamas and down to Turks and Caicos. Heck, it is a great ICW boat as well. The only change I would make is make a twin screw. I would shy away from the Hunter built boats and stick with Catalina or from the crew from up north-Performance Cruising with Tony Smith. I found several Hunter built Geminis had severe cracking in the deck and the topsides were fairly flimsy. They were in the yard getting the deck repainted after grinding out all the crazing. $$$$$$
Great choice of boats! I have the 42' version.
The tpi is a great boat, they are older so typically need work(mine did as well) They are priced quite well these days as well, if you can find one.
Good luck to the op
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 17:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Great choice of boats! I have the 42' version.
The tpi is a great boat, they are older so typically need work(mine did as well) They are priced quite well these days as well, if you can find one.
Good luck to the op
I had a '92 42' TPI also. Enjoyed it a lot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cheechakocat3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	220147   Click image for larger version

Name:	PatMahi galley001.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	220148  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 18:19   #28

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I had a '92 42' TPI also. Enjoyed it a lot.
Ours is a 93, and we enjoy it a lot as well
We did get it just inside the OP budget, but the refit put it quite a bit over. From our perspective though it's well worth it.
Look for any of the 37's and you might end up with a fantastic cat for a reasonable priceClick image for larger version

Name:	20200528_084602.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	220149
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 06:56   #29

Here's a Cat that has documented it's refit; https://youtu.be/24FqmYDKTag
Tula's Endless Summer.
barcosinvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 07:01   #30

Boat: 1978 Newport 30 Mk II

Check out Tula's Endless Summer vBlog on the youtube. https://youtu.be/24FqmYDKTag
wildebeest3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruising