Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2021, 00:55   #451

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Cruising cat - sub 90 degrees tack upwind

I asked our sailmaker and he estimated 1200-1500kg working load for our sail and boat. I’ve removed the existing car and had to replace about 10 of the balls, so not too bad. A good clean and Harken’s one drop lube has got it moving back and forth almost completely smoothly. I’m thinking of buying a high-load double car (223mm long, 1600kg SWL) which should spread the load better than the single long car (170mm) we’ve got now. I guess I just need to clean and lube more often, doh!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 05:52   #452

Dump some fresh water over it after a sail. BTW, McMaster-Carr carries 100-packs of balls for s/price as the brand name 20- . You can also choose a different material if you want. And MMC has a nice information reference search
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 19:17   #453

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I asked our sailmaker and he estimated 1200-1500kg working load for our sail and boat...

...I’m thinking of buying a high-load double car (223mm long, 1600kg SWL) which should spread the load better than the single long car (170mm) we’ve got now
The suggestion I posted previously of using 2 x 27mm High-Load Car (single) to make your own 'high load double car' might still be a good option if you want to bump the MWL up a little further again to ensure a bullet proof setup over the long term. I'm thinking more about the dynamic loads that can occur in a seaway.

However it would be a little bit longer again (264mm vs 223mm) but should still work nicely since you can put 1 block directly on each car.

My previous post has the links for the models including 'Stand-Up Toggle, Control Tangs' because 'stand-up' is what you have, and the 'control tangs' might easily facilitate a custom connector. Even a spectra loop could work there and the other side of the Control Tangs would provide attachment points for your inboard / outboard control lines for the whole assembly.

Food for thought anyway

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3509853

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
NB: the 3: 27mm High-Load Double Cars seems to be made from 2 of the shorter car lengths as it's 223mm long, for 1633kg.

Whereas the 2: 27mm High-Load Car (single) is 132mm, so 2 x would be 264mm long (more bearings) for 2086kg.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 19:44   #454

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
The suggestion I posted previously of using 2 x 27mm High-Load Car (single) to make your own 'high load double car' might still be a good option if you want to bump the MWL up a little further again to ensure a bullet proof setup over the long term. I'm thinking more about the dynamic loads that can occur in a seaway.

However it would be a little bit longer again (264mm vs 223mm) but should still work nicely since you can put 1 block directly on each car.

My previous post has the links for the models including 'Stand-Up Toggle, Control Tangs' because 'stand-up' is what you have, and the 'control tangs' might easily facilitate a custom connector. Even a spectra loop could work there and the other side of the Control Tangs would provide attachment points for your inboard / outboard control lines for the whole assembly.

Food for thought anyway

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3509853

Great suggestion, I missed it the first time, thanks. I think that’s what I’m going to use.

I can build a single loop to connect the two HL cars using the respective control tangs. We only have a single traveller control line for distance from centre. The traveller control line will attach to one of the inner control tangs, which will proved the ~40mm offset that the traveller control line needs to ensure the traveller gets to the same point on both sides without adjustment (as the line either goes 180* around the turning block or straight through).
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 19:52   #455

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Great suggestion, I missed it the first time, thanks. I think that’s what I’m going to use.
Ok sounds good and great that we could figure out a mostly bolt on upgraded solution without needing to change the track.

You'll be able to do it all yourself
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, wind