Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2020, 19:08   #1

cradle on catamaran

Anyone ever create a cradle on a leopard 46? I am thinking of dropping the mast to transit the erie canal. Cannot find many photos of catamarans with cradles, let alone a larger cat. Wondering if easier to run on top of one of the hulls, or close to center on hardtop. Thanks
Crazcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 19:14   #2

Re: cradle on catamaran

This really isn't rocket science....

A couple 2x4s and some lashings...

You're a sailor... think like one.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 19:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
This really isn't rocket science....

A couple 2x4s and some lashings...

You're a sailor... think like one.
Haha, true, and an engineer to boot!

Rather not invent the wheel if I didn't have too. I can build the cradle and am not worried about that, but more wondering where I should put the mast if going through the canal. Just seeing if there is any info out there, rather than winging it, but can do that too.
Old 12-02-2020, 19:42   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

On top of one of the hulls may be problematic as you may need access to hatches, attending to fenders etc. Probably best to have the rear supported on a padded frame on the port side of the cabin top front and rear and a front frame support neat the port bow (total 3 supports). If you run it down the middle it gets in the way for anchor access etc. It may also be possible to disconnect the boom with lazy bag and mainsail all in one and strapped along side the mast, this will save a bit of effort putting all back together, leave stays etc attached on mast as well.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 19:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
On top of one of the hulls may be problematic as you may need access to hatches, attending to fenders etc. Probably best to have the rear supported on a padded frame on the port side of the cabin top front and rear and a front frame support neat the port bow (total 3 supports). If you run it down the middle it gets in the way for anchor access etc. It may also be possible to disconnect the boom with lazy bag and mainsail all in one and strapped along side the mast, this will save a bit of effort putting all back together, leave stays etc attached on mast as well.
Great advice, thank you!
Old 13-02-2020, 06:08   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We did the Oswego and Erie canals with our lagoon 42. We laid the mast on the starboard side. Above the rails. I built 2 supports, one at the bow and one at stern. Lashed it down well, and it didn't move.
We also kept the sails and lazy bag on the boom, and used their mast crane to reattach. It was fairly easy and quick dropping and standing the mast. Drop in Oswego, and raise in hop-o-nose marina.
We liked docking and dealing with locks on port side and never had a problem. There was one lock in the erie canal that we were only given the option of port side. I assume north bound it would have to be starboard, I don't remember which lock though.
chris mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 15:37   #7

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

Here's what we did with our Catana 48 for the Oswego and Erie canals back in 2006. We had a tall rig, so I was more comfortable with it in the middle as we had what felt like a very long overhang. We also had a heavy inboom furling boom, which we lay on the port side deck. We ended up supporting the mast at the crossbeam, on the cabin roof, and the aft end of the cockpit. Plywood is useful for triangulation on the supports. I think we got most of supplies from a dumpster at the Oswego end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	208659
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 04:31   #8

We used a roll of stretch wrap from the Home Depot and long zip ties to contain the rigging while doing something similar. Just attached it to the mast a strategic areas.
Tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 05:00   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

There are already cradles on both sides of the Erie Canal. Go there, use them, and leave them on the other side.

"Catamaran" doesn't make this a unique situation.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 05:10   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

A Lagoon 380 on the EC.
Old 14-02-2020, 05:29   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

PDQ 36?
Old 09-04-2021, 07:12   #12

Boat: C&C 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We did the Oswego and Erie canals with our lagoon 42. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_morwood View Post
Here's what we did with our Catana 48 for the Oswego and Erie canals back in 2006...

Attachment 208659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
A Lagoon 380 on the EC.
Thanks for the replies guys. Not to hijack the thread, but could you comment on how long this took in your catamarans? Were you heading to and from the Carribean? I'd be curious to hear your transit times each way along the oswego/Erie Canal and also between the canal entrance and the carribean. I'm considering a work from home lifestyle change and trying to assess how long I would need to budget to make these yearly trips (from Toronto to carribean and back).
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:52   #13

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Not to hijack the thread, but could you comment on how long this took in your catamarans? Were you heading to and from the Carribean? I'd be curious to hear your transit times each way along the oswego/Erie Canal and also between the canal entrance and the carribean. I'm considering a work from home lifestyle change and trying to assess how long I would need to budget to make these yearly trips (from Toronto to carribean and back).
It took us less than 10 days from whitby ontario to nyc. Including dropping and standing the mast.
We then took the icw south to lake worth over a few months and across to the bahamas.
chris mac is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cradle