Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 10:12   #1

Boat: Lock Crowther 150
Cost to paint a 47' cat?

I can make a wild guess (I know it ain't going to be cheap!) but does anyone have experience getting a cat painted at a reputable yard?
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:28   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Cost to paint a 47' cat?

can only tell what we do. Last year we needed to paint and the Admiral told me I was not going to do by myself - something about my age - so I went to the yard and got 3 estimates and compared and saw some of the work each was doing. One was way more than the other 2 - the second said he could use 2 gal paint for our 40' for 2 coats - I have painted my boat a few times and knew that would not work well and I want quality work - the 3 was about the same as the 2nd and included 3 gals of paint and I saw his work -

moral - go to the yard and get estimates - the cost varies by location, paint used (I specify the paint I want) - and what it includes ie bushes, sanding ect

by the way unless we return to Kusadasi next year we will go though the entire exercise next year as we have to paint next year

good luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:33   #3

Bottom paint or topside?

Totally different ballgames.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:11   #4

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Bottom paint or topside?

Totally different ballgames.

Top sides, everything on the exterior above the water line.
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:18   #5

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

The PO of our 48' cat had it repainted along with some other work. Paint included mast and boom. According to him, the cost for the paint job was $10,000. Work was done at a yard in Florida in 2010.

Cheers
Old 12-01-2017, 05:26   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
The PO of our 48' cat had it repainted along with some other work. Paint included mast and boom. According to him, the cost for the paint job was $10,000. Work was done at a yard in Florida in 2010.

Cheers
Mast and boom included? Jeez. If that's correct I want the name of that yard, lol.

Consider that the low end of what's possible, at least in the US. At the other end of the spectrum, I would not be surprised if you were quoted $20k+ for topsides and deck by yards with reputations for doing good paint work. The work is 90% prep, so cost is going to be dependent largely on the condition of the existing surface and how much fittings removal/taping/masking has to be done.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:52   #7

Cracker Boy Boat Works in Riviera Beach, FL.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:11   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We paid more than that for a 45' mono.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:21   #9

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Awlgrip or something else??
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:47   #10

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
SNIP

The work is 90% prep, so cost is going to be dependent largely on the condition of the existing surface and how much fittings removal/taping/masking has to be done.
This is true for any paint job.

A lot of the prep can be done by unskilled labor; or even the owner. But some takes real skill. As others have pointed out the type of paint used will also affect the cost; not just because the difference in price but also due to different prep needed for different paints. Another consideration is non skid on the deck; different ways to do that with different costs. Another consideration is it takes less paint if it is sprayed on than if it is brushed on. As a rule sprayed on paint costs more but results in better overall job.

A cheaper estimate may be the result of skimping on something. Some yards will let you act as a contractor hiring subs to do things which can save money if you can find unskilled labor to do the grunt work and only hire high priced skilled labor where it is needed. Other yards require everything to be done by inhouse employees usually at a higher cost. Of course your time and effort may be more valuable than the money you save.

Bottom line is get in writing just what is to be done and how much it will cost.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Awlgrip or something else??
If you're asking me, it was Awlgrip. Nice job btw. I don't know how much, if any, of the prep the PO did.

Cheers,
Old 12-01-2017, 11:24   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

47 ft cat, awlgrip, including all the deck works, tapings, non skid on the deck, first class job will not be less than 20.000 USD. There might be huge difference of price between excellent job and good job, good job and average job.
For excellent job, you need to cover the boat to control the heat and humidity which is another cost. Surface preparation, spray pressure, spray nozzle to be used are crucial and the job requires very skilled people. When we do it, we don't allow the owner touch the boat at any stage.

On the other hand, I know some people here who can do it for 5.000 €, car paint..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 13:54   #13

Boat: Nauticat 52

We were quoted nearly $50k by 3 different yards for our Nauticat 52 (monohull). This also included brightwork, but I'd run from anything less than $25k unless you are South of the border.
Raven Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 01:04   #14

For me it's hard to imagine that someone was quoted 20-30K and even more, and still not willing to learn and do at least part of the work themselves (preparation, for example). There is absolutely no rocket science in it. None. Zero. Zip. Anyone with two hands and a bit of patience can do it.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 01:39   #15

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

I was repairing scratches at my 46 cat at Spanish yard last year.There was a british mono nearby. Two gentlemen were putting a plastic film (navy blue) similar what applied to the cars to protect paint. I was interested - owner said:"it will last 5 years and,it is way cheaper than painting". He also mentioned:"that would be much easier to apply the same to mine (cat) flat hulls". Looks very good,brilliant shiny. The boss of the same yard doesn't allow side contractros to do painting...but, that was probably new for them too and, done by owners.Thouhgt, stratching and applying 14 meter film is not a peanut deal.
For a good to exelent job with aulgrip exelent weather,or protection (supercover)is required,caus all dust,sand,flies will stick to the paint with the wind. For me 1/4 gallon aulgrip (plus all components:spray converter;topcoat reducer;epoxy primers)+preparation+pistol painting+brush polishing cost about 1000 euros(400 just materials). Spanish yard charge 31,5 euro/hour. I think, US yard will charge $60/hour minimum. I've seen at Ft.Lauderdale protection cover over motor yacht cost $50K.Broker said:" it's required by law-enviromental protection"
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint