Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2017, 02:13   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Cost to paint a 47' cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
For me it's hard to imagine that someone was quoted 20-30K and even more, and still not willing to learn and do at least part of the work themselves (preparation, for example). There is absolutely no rocket science in it. None. Zero. Zip. Anyone with two hands and a bit of patience can do it.
Learning is free, you can off course come and wacth..Being involved in the job is a different matter. Preparation of the surface is as important as the paint itself, if any imperfection result at the end, who will be responsable for it ? Everybody starts blaming the othe rpart..That's why, we don't even hire subcontractors or any other people, we do the whole job with our own team and we are fully responsable against the owner, if the outcome is not up to his expectations.
On the other hand, if you think the job is not a rocket science, you like to work and have time for it, you can do the whole job. There are people here who can build their own boats and I am sure some people could do that as good as professionals. Nonetheless, I have seen in many occasions a 100 USD easy fix turned into a 1.000 USD while trying to be fixed by a non competent owner.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 04:13   #17

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Learning is free off course, but better to learn with something else or small parts, saying that no one is going to guarante the spray job if you do the prep work, Awlgrip is a expensive stuff , any small imperfection is going to pop up in the topcoat, a 47 ft cat is a lot of sanding , filling, cleaning etc...
under the bridgedeck its a pain in the ass , without mention the dismantling deck hardware step , poor practiques is to tape the perimeter and see how your beautiful top coat is peeling off at the edges in the short run , so thats why 20K is a starting point...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 04:59   #18

If someone only doing the prep, the secret is - to find good adequate painter, who:
1. Will point out all mistakes so you can fix them, 2. Will do final cleaning and checking, which is absolutely "a must" anyway. Yes, finding such adequate painter might be not easy, but well worth it.
And if you'd use Awlcraft 2000 instead (for example), than mistakes (including painter mistakes) can be sanded and polished easily.
Here's some info:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...int-51401.html

All procedures are not different than ones for car painting, so any markup in price is usual marine-related scam - "it's expensive because it's marine".
For example - in Canada properly prepared truck (say, Hummer H2) can be PROPERLY (and I know and mean it!) painted by professional painter for about $600US (including all paint and supplies). Catamaran, of course, is bigger, but not 40 times bigger...
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 05:16   #19

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

40 foot tri, topsides only, waterline to hull-deck joint. $20k Stratford CT
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 05:29   #20

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
If someone only doing the prep, the secret is - to find good adequate painter, who:
1. Will point out all mistakes so you can fix them, 2. Will do final cleaning and checking, which is absolutely "a must" anyway. Yes, finding such adequate painter might be not easy, but well worth it.
And if you'd use Awlcraft 2000 instead (for example), mistakes (including painter mistakes) can be sanded and polished easily.
Here's some info:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...int-51401.html
That's essentially what I did when I had the topsides painted on my 40' boat. Took it to Deltaville to a DIY yard and did all the prep myself. As a result I fully appreciate how expensive it is. I probably put 120 hours into it and there was no slouching about either. The painter, who paints boats, cars, and planes, showed up only to check my work and spray the numerous layers of primer and final coatings

Wash the hull really well. Sand with a DA or electric orbital until the entire paint surface has been taken off and you have a fully and completely matt surface. Wash and wipe down again. Mask off the entire boat, spray with hi build primer. Sand fair, patch and fair any flaws that are now apparent. Wash, wipe down, spray again, sand and fair again, wash and wipe, first primer coat. Sand smooth, wash and wipe, second primer coat, sand wash and wipe, three finish coats. It's a huge amount of work. The more careful prep you do, the better the result. Since was changing the boat color from a light color to a dark color, there might have been an extra coat in there along the way. Just to give you a sense of the process, I easily used over 200 sanding disks.

A boat is not like a car with all it's angles and curves. Besides being 3x+ as big, the topsides are smooth and ANY flaw is going to stand out like a sore thumb. No professional paint shop is going to let the boat go out anything other than near perfect since it's their reputation (and referrals) on the line.

My boat was sprayed outside, in early spring, and turned out extremely well. It was sprayed with Awlcraft 2000 due to it's repairability and easier topcoating when the time comes to paint again. While Awlgrip would have been incrementally more durable and provide a better result in terms of gloss, maintenance was more of an issue for me given that I live on the boat, it gets a lot of use, accidents happen. Already had a few minor repairs that have been easy and straightforward. Alwcraft is basically acrylic auto paint.

I "paid" somewhere around $2.5k for my paint job. A majority of that was paint and materials. Add in my time at a yard rate of $100/hr (what I would have paid at home in Annapolis) and we're around $15k.

Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 06:10   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARGESOL View Post
I was repairing scratches at my 46 cat at Spanish yard last year.There was a british mono nearby. Two gentlemen were putting a plastic film (navy blue) similar what applied to the cars to protect paint. I was interested - owner said:"it will last 5 years and,it is way cheaper than painting". He also mentioned:"that would be much easier to apply the same to mine (cat) flat hulls". Looks very good,brilliant shiny. "
We had one Jeanneau 439 with this film. The look was indeed very good, a shiny blue-grey color and the owner said that was done in the factory. I don't have a clue on how much it would last but the boat had slightly touched another boat and the film was partly stripped. Should it be a normal paint, it would take a small gel coat repair and touch up paint. Now with the film it's much more complicated, stripping off completely the film, re-prepare the whole surface (assuming that the film will not come out easily) and re-paint or cover with the film again.
The factories are charging roughly 10-20.000 € for a painted hulls for mono's 40-45 ft depending on the color and the way it was painted. If remember correctly the owner had said that filming was in the range of 5.000 € and the look was pretty much the same.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 06:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
That's essentially what I did when I had the topsides painted on my 40' boat. Took it to Deltaville to a DIY yard and did all the prep myself. As a result I fully appreciate how expensive it is.
I "paid" somewhere around $2.5k for my paint job. A majority of that was paint and materials. Add in my time at a yard rate of $100/hr (what I would have paid at home in Annapolis) and we're around $15k.
I never said it can be done in no time, a specially, if you're not doing it on everyday basis. But you've saved quite bit of money, right? 2.5k sounds very reasonable, that's what I would do (or had painted it myself if I'd find where I could do it). And other your smart decision - to choose Awlcraft 2000, so you can deal with imperfections (if any) later.

BTW, filming is great idea IMHO, if it can be done for reasonable amount of $$$
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 07:28   #23

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I never said it can be done in no time, a specially, if you're not doing it on everyday basis. But you've saved quite bit of money, right? 2.5k sounds very reasonable, that's what I would do (or had painted it myself if I'd find where I could do it). And other your smart decision - to choose Awlcraft 2000, so you can deal with imperfections (if any) later.

BTW, filming is great idea IMHO, if it can be done for reasonable amount of $$$
I was just seconding everything you said, and making the broader point to everyone reading the thread that painting a boat is a hugely labor intensive and time consuming process. As a result, you can pretty much rest assured that the cheaper the quote, the cheaper the end result will be.

That's obviously a bit of a generalization. If your hull is in great condition, is an easy shape to sand and fair, that shaves time off. You could even skip a whole bunch of steps and roll and tip right over the old paint. It's all a matter of the condition of the boat vs. the durability and appearance that is your goal.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 08:07   #24

Boat: Nauticat 52

Quote:
For me it's hard to imagine that someone was quoted 20-30K and even more, and still not willing to learn and do at least part of the work themselves (preparation, for example). There is absolutely no rocket science in it. None. Zero. Zip. Anyone with two hands and a bit of patience can do it.

Which is exactly why I learned to do it myself... :-)
Raven Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 19:59   #25

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Cracker Boy Boat Works in Riviera Beach, FL.

I called Cracker Boy, which is pretty much a DIY yard, you have to buy materials through them and you can do your own work or hire outside contractors. They gave me the number of a paint guy that works at their yard regularly .......$30,000[emoji23]. He said he's the most competitive price in FL [emoji23]
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint