Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2014, 04:59   #16

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Cost for Bottom Painting on a Cat

Also in addition to the above, especially about obtaining a "second opinion" regarding costs I have always been told that in order to barrier coat a bottom correctly the hull has to be completely dry or else you are sealing in the moisture left in the hull. Drying out of a potentially wet hull will not occur in the time frame of a short haul.
As others have said, fix the few blisters you have and paint the bottom.
If there are a few blisters on your next haul out simply repeat the process again.
I once had a similar problem on a 50 foot monohull when I discovered up to 10-12 blisters. Fixed them, pained the bottom and they never reoccurred. That was 8 years ago!
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 06:11   #17

Hi! My husband and I were having work done at Embree and saw your boat being hauled out! Snead island Boat Works in Palmetto can haul out your boat and do the work. I would call and get an estimate. We think you are getting ripped. Our Jeanneau is up for sale (along with house, car, etc) and plan to purchase a 440 and were so excited when we saw Progressive was able to haul out cats. Now we are not so sure....

Good Luck!

Monica
Mknebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 06:17   #18

Hi Monica,

That's cool that you saw Beatitude being hauled! Unfortunately, Snead Island cannot haul our cat. I actually called them first, but they cannot handle a 25' beam. That would have been very convenient for me since I keep her in a Marina in Palmetto. But, alas... There were few options in the Tampa Bay area.
“So, if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written…But I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling.”
Blc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 07:41   #19

Boat: Prout 46

Seems a little high in comparison to hauling out my 46 in St Augustine last spring. I had several minor fiberglass repairs, 2 complicated thru-hull replacements, 2 sail drive oil changes, custom cut zincs, bottom completely sanded with barrier coat and 2 bottom coats, new sail drive boots, sanded and painted sail drives, 10 days in the yard with haul out , and 2 days moorage at the dock for about the same price. Oasis Marine did a very good job and were quite professional (as opposed to St. Augustine Marine Center which I would NOT recommend to anybody).
Obviously prices vary from local to local. I'm guessing that the same job in Ft. Lauderdale could be twice as much.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 12:10   #20

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

I'm slightly off topic here.. but I'm wondering if I can ask a related question... What about the newer copper anti-fouling paint. They say it can go 10 years... does anyone know the cost (lets say for a 45' cat).. and does it really hold up as well as they say it will?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 12:37   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

How well it holds up is mainly down to the preparation. The old AF needs to be completely removed, and the hull thoroughly cleaned.
Then the paint needs to go on fairly quick, 3 full coats in one day. And its hard work for who ever gets voted to stir the paint, it really needs to be stirred just about constantly to keep the copper in suspension.

I've seen a few boats with this coating,and it has always looked good, and the owners have been happy. Saw one late last year, the coating had originally been applied 12 years ago and still going good.
You do read about peoples bad experiences, but in many cases, its been a do it yourself job, and the preparation has not been as good as it should have been. One I read about, the owner wiped down the hull with acetone prior to coating. This is specifically warned against in the application guide.

For my boat, 47' fin keel, estimate 15 liters.
I'm looking at just shy of £1000 for paint alone ($1,600).
I think considering the cost of the coating you may as well the money and or time on doing the job properly, and have it done by a yard well experienced in the use of this paint, and with a good reputation.The paint supplier can supply this information.
In my case, the job will be done this June, and the work done inside a boat shed.
Oh, and best thrash out some sort of guarantee with whoever is prepping and painting the boat.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 05:23   #22

I couldn't believe when reading your post we saw your boat! Very small world sometimes. I thought I saw a 440 on the hard at Sneads, oh well . I didn't look too hard at it and our friends have a smaller cat and always heard we would be going there. Guess not! Lol. We were watching your boat and slightly drooling, you're way ahead us! We can't wait to find our catamaran!

Monica
Mknebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 14:41   #23
CGP

I did mine myself. It cost me $500 in and out, $250 in materials, 7 bottles of wine and 2 bottles of rum over a 7 day period. Without the wine and rum I probably would have had it done in 10-12 hours, but **** happens.
CGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 16:58   #24

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quoted a little over $2000. Haulout sand and 3 coats bottom paint, prepping priming and painting the saildrives, and relaunch in Key Largo on a 39 privilige we didn't buy. Even with the epoxy barrier coat and fixing some blisters, (they should not sand blast ) your price quoted is pretty high unless there are more than a few blisters.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 17:54   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Copper coat seems worth the trouble if you can get the application right.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 17:15   #26
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGP View Post
I did mine myself. It cost me $500 in and out, $250 in materials, 7 bottles of wine and 2 bottles of rum over a 7 day period. Without the wine and rum I probably would have had it done in 10-12 hours, but **** happens.
Sounds like you had a painting party.

Did you use ablative? In any case which bottom paint did you use?

Tropic Cat
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint