Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2014, 09:09   #61

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Corsair 37 or Dragonfly 35: Which Is Better for Blue Water Passage Making ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
For sft: how good is a df1000 at sea? Would you take the smaller df's across oceans?
The DF1000 could be taken across oceans, but people have taken much smaller and less seaworthy boats across oceans too. You asked if I would, and the short answer is no. However, I've never crossed an ocean in any boat so I'm probably not the best one to ask.

The DF 1200 is far more seaworthy and is the only Dragonfly I'd consider for an offshore trip that would last more than about 3-4 days (the longest period I believe a forecast can be even somewhat reliable). It is rated CE category A. As I recall the last DF1000 made was a 2001 also rate Category A, but prior model years were CE rated B.

However, the question about what makes a suitable offshore multihull is a major thread drift and belongs in a separate thread. (It would surely degrade into the old mono vs. multi debate and I'm hesitant to even mention it here... So please everyone take that somewhere else )
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 10:01   #62

Boat: 1985 Tartan 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I own a DF-1200. This is NOT trailerable.... unless:
Well. That's that then. Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for something to trailer seasonally ---Great Lakes in Summer, South Atlantic Coast in Winter.

So I guess I am back to the OP --- Corsair 37 vs. Dragonfly 35.
Old 28-07-2014, 13:27   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Dergon,

I don't know much about the DF, but I can tell you that Steve at 'The Finish Line' in Stuart Fl is amazing to work with. We bought our Sprint 750 thru him, and his post sale service has been absolutely amazing. Including multiple short notice trips to Jamaica, tracking down parts, he even arranged the shipping of the boat to Jaimaica in just a few days. I have written a review of him before on this board, and I will tell you that he is still the best boat dealer I have ever dealt with.

Of course it has nothing to do with boat selection, but I can't say enough nice things about the Corsair dealer network.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 14:40   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dergon View Post
Well. That's that then. Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for something to trailer seasonally ---Great Lakes in Summer, South Atlantic Coast in Winter.

So I guess I am back to the OP --- Corsair 37 vs. Dragonfly 35.
You also stated your requirement is "part-time liveaboards" and I can state with confidence that there is no such thing as a multihull that is both trailerable (by a standard SUV or pickup e.g. Silverado, RAM or F-150) AND suitable for part-time liveaboards. Choose one.
Old 28-07-2014, 17:40   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
You also stated your requirement is "part-time liveaboards" and I can state with confidence that there is no such thing as a multihull that is both trailerable (by a standard SUV or pickup e.g. Silverado, RAM or F-150) AND suitable for part-time liveaboards. Choose one.
Replying to my own quote here; but after further thought I realize "liveaboard" is a broad term. Even if we differentiate liveaboard from "vacation-cruising" by whether you have all your "stuff" with you, the standard for that has a very broad spectrum depending on individual lifestyle. So I'd retract the prior post if I could.

Regardless, if you want excellent sailing performance in a multihull you'll need to keep it as light as possible, and that's in conflict with "liveaboard" and/or world cruising. As to the OP "Which Is Better for Blue Water Passage Making ?" I'd have to say neither -- they're both high performance coastal sport sailing boats that happen to have enough comfort accommodations to be vacation-cruise-able.
Old 19-08-2014, 14:32   #66

Boat: Trimarans!

About DF 35 -- I took it from Puget Sound to So Cal a couple years ago. While it was a "coastal" passage (+/-200nm), it felt pretty "offshore" in 20' swell at the entrance to San Juan De Fuca (ebb tide + what should've been a 6-10' offshore swell) and during an accidental gybe in ~30kt off Cape Mendocino. Three middle-aged+ dudes who didn't even know each other that well spent 5 consecutive nights on board non-stop and it was fine, I'd do it again. So yeah, I think it's suitable for offshore (I want much more open trampoline mesh for winds >50kt though). Don't plan on using the forward berth when under way, too much movement. I will take it down to Polynesia one day (rounding Cape Horn after is under skeptical consideration). I single hand it all the time, but wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping under sail with autopilot (Google the story of ATN's Etienne Giroire).

About DF weight -- yes, it packs (literally) a ton of appliances (water heater, heater, inboard, water, fuel, holding tank, two kayaks in amas, etc etc). It also feels to me seriously overbuilt as far as fiberglass structure. Frankly I prefer it this way for cruising.

Yes, the cockpit can be enclosed fully. There is a slot in the "roof" to hook up the main sheet for close haul. For off-wind you unhook the mainsheet and use the two preventer sheets running from the aft cross-beam (you can see them in SFT's pic above). Trimaran width allows for much better angles/lower loads on both standing and running rigging. These preventers also replace the function of the traveller for AWA >60.

I've never trailered DF 35, and don't expect to ever. But the one currently for sale in SF Bay was trailered from the Great Lakes, so it obviously is an option. Feels like a major effort to me though, too much for regular seasonal migration.

Don't think the Farrier/Corsair folding system is suitable for keeping the boat in a single slip, even with bottom paint on ama-sides. Unless you somehow use two halyards to secure the mast to the opposite sides of the dock.

I've been on DF 1000 once. Think it would be ok to take offshore with two people, but I'd send a pm to Senormechanico for a much more qualified opinion.
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 13:19   #67

Boat: Corsair F31-1D

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbm View Post
Don't think the Farrier/Corsair folding system is suitable for keeping the boat in a single slip, even with bottom paint on ama-sides. Unless you somehow use two halyards to secure the mast to the opposite sides of the dock.
I've never heard of having to secure the mast to the dock. My shrouds hold the mast just fine when in the loosened position for folding.
gbkersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 13:36   #68

To prevent the Corsair from falling on its side. The amas don't seem to be designed for keeping the boat in the water when folded, just for getting to a ramp. And 35+ is a bit too big for taking it out of the water every time.

About weight and thickness of fiberglass -- lots of reports (Lat 38 recap of Pacific crossings, Tritium's race to Hawaii) of hitting logs when under way. I'd rather hit one in a Dragonfly.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-08-2014, 14:11   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

The corsairs are fine left in the water folded, and indeed even motored folded.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 15:13   #70

Boat: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataWorld! View Post
I have settled on getting a trimaran, and have narrowed it down to either the Dragonfly 35 or the Corsair 37. Without taking price into consideration, what boat do you think is better, and why?
Neither. These boats will break up and kill you. Please allow me to buy a 10 million dollar life insurance policy on you if you do.

If you buy one of these, stay in-shore. Will it fit in a shipping container? If I were to buy one I'd go for the Dragonfly. The sail drive diesel is a nice option.
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 16:02   #71
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I've lusted after a big folding tri for years. I only need to pull it ashore for hurricanes, no freeways or width restrictions. I have the perfect place in mind to own one here. It's obvious to me that my preferred spot when not sailing would be on a mooring or anchored. A marina would be a drag, I think. Big pain. Wear and tear etcetera.

So, when you're anchored in some harbor or bay or estuary, how do you get ashore? I don't see any of those manufacturers showing photos of dingy davits. Do you keep something inverted on one of the trampolines?

I guess the kayaks in the amas are one way. I can't see grocery runs in those very often though. Left tied up to the dinghy dock in George Town, for example.
Old 21-08-2014, 16:23   #72

Boat: 1985 Tartan 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I've lusted after a big folding tri for years. I only need to pull it ashore for hurricanes, no freeways or width restrictions. I have the perfect place in mind to own one here. It's obvious to me that my preferred spot when not sailing would be on a mooring or anchored. A marina would be a drag, I think. Big pain. Wear and tear etcetera.

So, when you're anchored in some harbor or bay or estuary, how do you get ashore? I don't see any of those manufacturers showing photos of dingy davits. Do you keep something inverted on one of the trampolines?

I guess the kayaks in the amas are one way. I can't see grocery runs in those very often though. Left tied up to the dinghy dock in George Town, for example.
this folding tri looks like it's davits is there .. i think it's a Dragonfly.. maybe

this one too (might be the same boat) - dinghy is in the water but I think that is a mounted davits

Old 21-08-2014, 16:27   #73

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The corsairs are fine left in the water folded, and indeed even motored folded.
A little exciting if a sudden gust comes up while motoring folded though!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 16:39   #74

Yeah, above pics are of DF 1200.

I had a dinghy and kept it on the trampoline, but then sold it -- just didn't need it. Keeping it on the tramp is better than on the davits -- less weight, cost, and the weight is where you want it if you place it on the windward side on long single tack passages.

Kayaks do require some athletic aptitude when getting in and out with waves >1'
Old 21-08-2014, 17:27   #75

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbm View Post
SNIP

lots of reports (Lat 38 recap of Pacific crossings, Tritium's race to Hawaii) of hitting logs when under way. I'd rather hit one in a Dragonfly.
Not me. I would rather not hit logs at all.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corsair