Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 07:21   #1
smo

corsair 24 vs newick outrigger 26

I'm seriously shopping for a fast trimaran for retirement daysailing and some singlehanded cruising on lake michigan. I've been leaning towards the corsair f25 mark one as I like the centerboard option and the sliding hatch. I also found a newick somersault/outrigger 26.

I'm not new to sailing but am new to multihulls. Can anyone give me some input on plusses/minuses of the corsair vs the newick. I don't anticipate trailering either boat much. (Just to/from the launch at the beginning/end of the season so don't see the longer setup for the newick as a problem especially if I could expect better performance out of the newick.

My questions:
Would either boat be significantly faster than the other?

Is one significantly more seaworthy?

On the newick tri It appears the lashings for the tramps is the sole way of securing the amas. Should I see this as a problem?

Are there any factors unseen by me that might make one or the other as a better option?

Thanks for your help.

Smo
smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 18:50   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: corsair 24 vs newick outrigger 26

Bump.

Actually, I am seriously looking at both of these and am curious what people may know and what them may think. Both are well-proven designs, speed is similar, accommodations (limited) are similar, and pricing is similar.

Somersault 26

F-24
Old 03-09-2017, 19:58   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smo View Post
SNIP

Are there any factors unseen by me that might make one or the other as a better option?

Thanks for your help.

Smo

There are a lot more fboats than the much less common Newick. The C24 is a production boat and Ian has a yahoo group with lot of information about them including how to check for possible issues when buying a used boat. Not to mention lots of folks in the group who would be happy to answer your questions.

While you may not be that concerned about the ease the C24 can be put together and taken apart that is a significant feature to many buyers which may be a consideration if you want to sell the boat.

The real question with any boat of this age is how well it has been maintained/refitted. Especially with things like new sails and tramps the C24 would have almost off the shelf items while the Newick would most likely require a custom work. I know places like Mack Sails (and I suspect lots of others) don't even require you to measure for new sails since they have built so many. Again this goes back to the huge number of fboats around. A big part of the reason for this is Ian designed boats that provided so many features folks wanted. The early Corsairs were really the reason tris became as popular as they did.

Not trying to say the Newick is not a good boat; maybe with some advantages over the slightly smaller fboat. But sheer numbers make the chances of finding a good fboat better than finding a good Newick.

I have never sailed a Newick; in fact I have never seen one. But I have sailed the C24 (and several other fboats) and was impressed by it's speed, comfort in day sailing, ease of taking apart and putting together, and trailering. Not to mention the large number of fboat owners who are easy to find and usually helpful.

Bottom line for me is unless the Newick was a super well maintained boat that was a great deal I would go for the fboat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 21:22   #4

You can't go wrong with either. If you want to race, I'd go with the Corsair. To play with, definitely the Newick. Newick's are just plain KEWL!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 22:26   #5

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

It is sort of a off the rack or tailor choice. I prefer the style of the Newick and like the idea of sailing kinetic sculpture from an artist.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:42   #6

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Thinwater, not sure if you saw this, but a newick 26 is for sale in our neck of the woods: https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...291283475.html

Might be the universe answering your question?
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 11:30   #7

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
It is sort of a off the rack or tailor choice. I prefer the style of the Newick and like the idea of sailing kinetic sculpture from an artist.
+one

All Newick boats were sculptures. The F and Cs are fast and fun and foldable(already three important Fs there) bit not very pleasing to my eye at least.

Tags
corsair