Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2021, 13:58   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran
Cordless Boat Washoff options?

We've read a number of posts on this... andI can't find any of them now!

But we're looking for a compact/functional option to hang a hose over the side w/ filter that would attach to some type of pump/sprayer to wash off salt/grime after a good scrub. We've bought into Ryobi's 18 volt interchangeables to save space, but they don't seem to have a decent option.

If anyone's got a solution that they're happy with, I'd appreciate hearing!

Cheers,

jBrad
sv Fuzzy Logic
Old 26-05-2021, 22:09   #2

Boat: Coast 34 Sail
Re: Cordless Boat Washoff options?

Our salt water wash down pump can also take fresh water via hose. We get fresh water in homer buckets from shore in dinghy and wash boat at anchor. Not ideal but last year we spent 8 months without tying up to a dock. 15 gallons goes a long way if you are careful.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 23:05   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I’m invested in the Ryobi 18 volt tools also. I was thinking of getting one of their 18V pumps. Why don’t you think that would work for your application? They also make two 18V power washer wands. I bought the 350 psi unit and don’t like it much. They just announced a 600 psi version that might be better.
Attached Images

Old 26-05-2021, 23:22   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I’m invested in the Ryobi 18 volt tools also. I was thinking of getting one of their 18V pumps. Why don’t you think that would work for your application? They also make two 18V power washer wands. I bought the 350 psi unit and don’t like it much. They just announced a 600 psi version that might be better.
I really like this idea for an easy anchor wash down while pulling it up. Do you think you would use the pressure washer with the hose in saltwater if I’m just trying to get the mud off of the rode and chain?
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 04:23   #5

Quote:
Hopcar, I was unaware that there was a pump, wand combo option and will take a look! my concern is basically if doing solo I would think you've got to go to pump to stop the water. Unless I'm wrong using some type of nozzle and stopping the flow would overload the pump. I definitely could be missing something here though.
Old 27-05-2021, 08:02   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
Hopcar, I was unaware that there was a pump, wand combo option and will take a look! my concern is basically if doing solo I would think you've got to go to pump to stop the water. Unless I'm wrong using some type of nozzle and stopping the flow would overload the pump. I definitely could be missing something here though.
I understand your concern about the pump now.
The wand type power washer maybe just what you need. You pull the trigger and it turns on, release the trigger and it shuts off. I was disappointed in the one I got because the volume of water it pumped was pretty low. The 600 psi version should be better. It was just released a few days ago.
Old 27-05-2021, 08:05   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I really like this idea for an easy anchor wash down while pulling it up. Do you think you would use the pressure washer with the hose in saltwater if I’m just trying to get the mud off of the rode and chain?
I have no experience with it in salt water. It would probably be good at rinsing mud off a chain.
Old 27-05-2021, 08:11   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a link to the 600 psi power washer. Looks like they haven’t actually started selling it yet. https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...ower-cleanerez
Old 27-05-2021, 08:14   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

We use a WORX sprayer

https://www.worx.com/20v-hydroshot-portable-power-cleaner-wg620.html?campaignid=10030060249&adgroupid=998506 52814&creative=434614370044&keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQo bChMIyJ-Zr5Pq8AIVFo3ICh2vrACCEAQYAyABEgKQyfD_BwE
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 09:45   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Not a power option, but a good canvas bucket can work a majority of the time. The CB doesn't work as well in thick mud (up rivers, Chesapeake, etc.) stuck in the chain links and is always a good back up if your power wash down system goes out.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 10:53   #11

A friend bought a bilge pump, connected a garden hose with a regular spray nozzle, and lowered the bilge pump with as line into the water at the bow, with a toggle switch on the power wire plugged into an outlet he put in his anchor locker.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 11:12   #12

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I made exactly what the OP is talking about for my boat, and the story was published in April’s Cruising World, called “It’s a wash.” If you can’t find it on their website, you can read it on my site here: DECKWASH
By the way, if you decide to buy the Aqua-Jet from Johnson pumps, please tell them you saw it on my site and I might get a bit of commission.
JR.
Old 29-05-2021, 04:44   #13

Quote:
Here is a link to the 600 psi power washer. Looks like they haven’t actually started selling it yet. https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...ower-cleanerez
Bummer Hopcar.... seeing we've already got the Ryobi drill & an air inflator, the powerwasher is a good place to start. We've bought into their All-In-One solution (need less space for batteries/chargers & more likely to have a battery charged). The power washer's worth a shot when available.

Bill's idea for a canvas bucket is great too, esp. seeing my wife still remembers her dads bucket from washing off their 40ft'er when she was little. We've got several collapsible plastic buckets, which work fine. But, it's 5ft up to the bridge deck and another 4 to top deck... after carrying 10 or so buckets+scrubbing... I'm pooped!

Cheers!
Old 29-05-2021, 06:48   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Trick on the canvas bucket is to not get too large of one. Most will get tired quickly of lifting 3 gallons at a time (24 lbs), so we use a smaller one (1.5 gal) like this one.
Had one for more than 30 years until someone left it tied to the bow rail and essentially keel hauled it. It "lived", but had to be replaced. Also great as a tool bucket to send parts/tools up the mast.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 16:04   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
We've read a number of posts on this... andI can't find any of them now!

But we're looking for a compact/functional option to hang a hose over the side w/ filter that would attach to some type of pump/sprayer to wash off salt/grime after a good scrub. We've bought into Ryobi's 18 volt interchangeables to save space, but they don't seem to have a decent option.

If anyone's got a solution that they're happy with, I'd appreciate hearing!

Cheers,

jBrad
sv Fuzzy Logic
If you are looking to wash the anchor its easy to just let it drag a metre in the water while you sail off, cleans it well, I presume your anchor roller is in a forebeam location? If its under the bridgedeck, not so easy
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat