Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2009, 03:55   #1

Consistent 200-Mile Days ?

This link from the monohull sailboats section appears to have relevance here. http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/200mile.pdf

It makes an interesting read. I notice from the recent Caribbean 600 results that in fresh trade-wind and mostly reaching conditions the Gunboat 48, in full racing trim with rock-star crew, averaged around 8 knots from memory. I suspect the assistance of a motor certainly helps keep the averages up but does this still qualify a boat to be referred to as a 200 nm/day sail boat?
Old 21-07-2009, 17:19   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
A gun boat 48 averaged 8 knts?? for sure with 1 reef in the main or 2, my last crossing from canary islands to martinique in a lagoon 38 take me 18 days, and some days averaged 7 to 8 knts , and i tell you a lagoon is a slowwwwww cata.
Cheers
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 20:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
A gun boat 48 averaged 8 knts?? for sure with 1 reef in the main or 2, my last crossing from canary islands to martinique in a lagoon 38 take me 18 days, and some days averaged 7 to 8 knts , and i tell you a lagoon is a slowwwwww cata.
Cheers

Neil, Try the carrib 600 website for results. There was a blow by blow race discussion on sailing anarchy as well if you are interested. The race tracker shows a great tussle with a 46 foot mono which from memory was as fast or faster on the reaches. I think the average was just over 8 from memory.Don't take my word for it have a look. The trades did drop down for a couple of hours in an islands lee but other than that it was a good 15 to 20.
Old 21-07-2009, 21:31   #4

Well I looked at the carrib 600 website, and didn't find the great tussle.

However I did find that the multihulls started 20 minutes later than the last monohulls, which were the giant supermaxis. If the Gunboat was racing close to a 46 mono it must have made up quite a lot of ground on it.

I also found that a 60 foot tri had beaten the best 100 foot canting keel supermaxi by 4 hours.

Reading http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/200mile.pdf ,the site you posted a link to, I found this:

"Steve and Dorothy Darden sail Adagio, a 52-foot Morrelli and Melvin designed catamaran with 49.7 feet of waterline. They have averaged 200 miles per day on several passages of less than 1,500 miles. "
badlattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 21:50   #5

I'll have to side with Neil on the Gunboat. They are crazy fast and smooth. There's that famous video of one getting high 20's in knots outpacing a racing mono. I would love to get a Gunboat but the $$$$ is a little sobering but will aim for it someday..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 22:25   #6

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
I reckon the other designs of M and M such as Adagio look more designed for sailing and less for show. Check out their 55' reverse bow catamarans. I reckon they would be much better punching a chop than the Gunboats
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 08:47   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I've met the Dardens on Adagio, as they hung out here in the NW, about a mile from my house, for quite awhile. Beautiful, custom build M&M. It is a great performing boat and they've confirmed a number of 200+ days. It is definitely built for sailing, but it is far from spartan. But, that's what lwl can do for you. They've been cruising for six or seven years. Adagio Journal

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 11:37   #8

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
I would certainly consider a gunboat 48 a 200 mile a day boat. But it won't be if the winds are too light. In performance cats 48 feet long 200 is pretty easy. There are two Outremer cats I am cruising with (a 48 and a 55). They both made Galapagos to Marquesas in 13 days. The 55 made a 360 mile day.

here is their blog:
MysticSail.com — An epic sailing adventure of surfing, skateboarding, kiteboarding, and exploration aboard the “Natural Mystic”
outremer 55

Adventures of Aita Pe'ape'a
Aita Pe'ape'a
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 13:12   #9

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Was in that Carib1500 w/ Gunboat. Don't know how much fuel he carried but he started fast but wind went away for leaders requiring me to motor about 100 hours. We finished way ahead of him on corrected time and engine use penalty. Fast boats don't sail any faster than slow boats in the absence of wind.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 13:50   #10

As you say, without wind even the fastest boats won't sail. And yet the OP described conditions as "fresh trade-wind and mostly reaching conditions".

Sounds like that was BS, given that you were actually there, and he wasn't.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:20   #11

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
907 mile days ....

Never mind 200 mile-days , Pascal Bridgory has just taken the world record at 907 miles in 24 hours , whilst trashing the atlantic record . Banque Populaire has just done New York to Lizard point ??(UK) in 87 HOURS !! at an AVERAGE speed of 37.9 knots ! , now thats shifting ...
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:58   #12

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
At those speeds these guys are going to have to start worrying about jet lag.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 13:44   #13

CC, your mixing two events. One event, the Carib 1500 is a rally sailed from east coast to the VI's. The other event, the Carib 600 is a race in and around the islands. The Gunboat averaged "9 something knots" (i.e. over 200 miles/day) in mostly trade wind reaching conditions and was paced by a Rogers 46 around the course (i.e. they had the same elapsed time for 600 miles). The Rogers matched the GB reaching and the GB essentially matched the Rogers on the short uphill legs.

I would venture to guess the sailors aboard the GB were MUCH more comfortable then those aboard the Rogers. I would also venture to guess the Rogers cost 20% of the GB. Not sure how to calculate/compare a speed versus comfort versus cost thing.

None of this actually means anything though. The original posters intents seems to be 200 mile a day passages are hard to come by. I would tend to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
As you say, without wind even the fastest boats won't sail. And yet the OP described conditions as "fresh trade-wind and mostly reaching conditions".

Sounds like that was BS, given that you were actually there, and he wasn't.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 13:58   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I would venture to guess the sailors aboard the GB were MUCH more comfortable then those aboard the Rogers. I would also venture to guess the Rogers cost 20% of the GB. Not sure how to calculate/compare a speed versus comfort versus cost thing.
I took that on a couple of years ago, using the ARC data. Although the data only included cats, it does demonstrate a possible methodology, with "real world" data (or, at least an example of such). I found the results rather interesting. At least in the ARC, for those years, you could spend a lot of money and not get a lot more performance, regardless of the weight or the lwl.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...alue-6537.html

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 07:09   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I took that on a couple of years ago, using the ARC data. Although the data only included cats, it does demonstrate a possible methodology, with "real world" data (or, at least an example of such). I found the results rather interesting. At least in the ARC, for those years, you could spend a lot of money and not get a lot more performance, regardless of the weight or the lwl.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...alue-6537.html

ID
Just found this looking for different ARC informations...

Can not understand Your calculations...

You stated 14342 minutes as mean crossing time in 2005, and 18315 minutes as mean crossing time in 2006. It makes respectively for a little under 10 days in 2005 and a little under 13 days in 2006.
RECORD time for ARC crossing is 11 days, 5 hours, 32 minutes and 30 seconds (16172,5 minutes)...
Cant believe that mean crossing time in 2005 was thirty and half hour LESS than record time, and that mean crossing time in 2006 was ONLY about 36 hours more than record time...
Am I missing something there?
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote