Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 18:53   #1

Boat: 42' Chung Wua Trawler
Considering purchasing a Nautitech 475 catamaran

I am considering purchasing a 1994 Nautitech 475. The previous owner put a ton of money into the boat just last year before passing on. It has new engines and saildrives. New sails, new awlgrip, new electric panel, recent mast and rigging (2015). A recent survey indicated that the boat is worth 80k more then we settled on. The price that we settled on is very compelling. But I am just concerned about the age if the boat. Will the boat last another 15 years? Will I be able to resell it if I need to? There is not much online about this model, so I don't know about common problems. Am I looking a gift horse in the mouth? Or am I right to be concerned.
cpisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 20:26   #2

Boat: CL52
Re: Considering purchasing a Nautitech 475 catamaran

Well, I can’t help with catamaran specific issues. But I think most systems on a boat will last 20 to 30;years if maintained. That said , what systems on your boat are nearing that age? That might give you an idea what you should plan on maintaining or replacing Over the next decade.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 00:51   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

I am guessing this is the only one listed on yacht world, and only one of two sailboats this broker is selling at $190k. The ad is very light on detail. This is not usually a good sign, but then the broker may have given you a lot more by email.
This is a lot of boat for $190k and if engines and rig are in fact as young as they say they are, it seems like good value. I would be a bit cautious about a fiberglass boat that has been Awlgripped, what happened to the original the gel coat for this to need to be done? You need to get your own survey done and don't rely on the one provided by the broker. I am guessing the white engine is a generator, personally I don't like engines in the living spaces. The engines and sail drives look a bit small for a big boat, but hard to tell from photos. Overall from the photos it looks like a nice re-furb. If the hull bottoms (no osmosis) are fine and no rot/soft spots in hull and decks when checked by surveyor it looks good for the money. Of course it may have been a hurricane statistic, something your surveyor should be able to assess.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 02:54   #4

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpisz View Post
I am considering purchasing a 1994 Nautitech 475. The previous owner put a ton of money into the boat just last year before passing on. It has new engines and saildrives. New sails, new awlgrip, new electric panel, recent mast and rigging (2015). A recent survey indicated that the boat is worth 80k more then we settled on. The price that we settled on is very compelling. But I am just concerned about the age if the boat. Will the boat last another 15 years? Will I be able to resell it if I need to? There is not much online about this model, so I don't know about common problems. Am I looking a gift horse in the mouth? Or am I right to be concerned.

Will the boat last another 15 years? Oh indeedy. There are 60's GRP boats still bombing around just fine.

I'm a huge fan of the 475! Great boat and a hell of a lot for the money. Got a link for this particular one?

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 05:28   #5

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it is the only one listed on yacht world. The listing is thin because there owner died and the broker doesn't seem to know crap about sailboats. But I have the survey and yard invoices. I remain concerned about buying such a big old boat but the deal is hard to pass up. Insurance has been giving me a hard time about the boat too because of its age. I have some offers but they are high.
Old 18-08-2020, 05:43   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Yes, it is the only one listed on yacht world. The listing is thin because there owner died and the broker doesn't seem to know crap about sailboats. But I have the survey and yard invoices. I remain concerned about buying such a big old boat but the deal is hard to pass up. Insurance has been giving me a hard time about the boat too because of its age. I have some offers but they are high.

For the price, I don't think you can go wrong. It'll be pretty easy to tell if the boat's ok:
- Any crazing or cracking? Especially around the ally toe rail, mast or between the hull and bridgedeck?

- Any water leaks on the inside? Are the windows / hatches all bonded ok? How does it smell when you first walk in... damp or dry?

- What are the elecs like? Has the owner been careful wiring or just slapped it together?
- The new paint isn't necessarily a bad thing - a lot of people repaint GRP boats and Awlgrip means the previous owner hasn't skimped.
- The interior looks really well cared for and tbh, the boat looks good overall.

If I was in the market for a medium / larger cat, this would definitely be a contender. Nautitechs have an excellent reputation and I'd take this over a newer Lagoon any day.

n

n
Old 18-08-2020, 06:01   #7

Thanks again. You are starting to make me feel better about moving forward with the purchase.
Old 18-08-2020, 06:21   #8

Hey no worries. The last two cats I've bought I've always had a hint of trepidation between initially saying yes to the purchase and actually finalising the sale.

Unless there's horrendous osmosis (doubtful, given the serious work the seller has just done) or a big crack somewhere (again doubtful, the low price is due to a deceased vendor), this is a good one by the look of it.

Keep us posted how you get on! I just took the keys to my new cat last Monday and it's a great feeling to finally get possession and have the boat in your name.

n
Old 18-08-2020, 06:32   #9

So when I went to look at the boat there was several inches of water in the bildge. It seemed to be fresh water not salt. The boat had been sitting for a while and the bildge pump float was stuck (scary). We tapped the float and it pumped out. That is the only thing that I found that was concerning. What should I look for in this regards? There is obviously a leak somewhere. A hatch. Hopefully not a deck fitting.
Old 18-08-2020, 06:52   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Is that the Blue Agave? Iguana?
Old 18-08-2020, 06:57   #11

Blue Agave
Old 18-08-2020, 08:31   #12

Quote:
So when I went to look at the boat there was several inches of water in the bildge. It seemed to be fresh water not salt. The boat had been sitting for a while and the bildge pump float was stuck (scary). We tapped the float and it pumped out. That is the only thing that I found that was concerning. What should I look for in this regards? There is obviously a leak somewhere. A hatch. Hopefully not a deck fitting.

Ok. This isn't a red flag but definitely one to investigate. I noticed from the pics a few of the salon windows look like they're delaminating / the sealant is failing. While this in itself isn't a big deal (sealant always eventually delaminates / unpeels on windows after 3-6 years), it's the damage this leak has done that needs checking. Has it softened / stained some plywood / veneer? Has it stained a cushion? Or has it just come from a fresh water hose slightly leaking (unlikely - it's always rain).

I doubt it's a hatch (unless it's a hatch that's been left cracked open) as by nature, they're usually pretty waterproof.

Find the leak asap and get it fixed, as that fresh water coming in is going to cause a hell of a lot of damage, especially with winter coming in the not too distant future. Out of curiosity, where was the water in the bilge? Aft / starboard? Was it obvious it'd come from a failed opening hull hatch (common), or is it definitely a salon window?

n
Old 18-08-2020, 08:47   #13

Yes I noticed the windows. I factored that in as we know how to replace them inexpensively. I have done it before. The water was in the starboard side bilge only. The port side was fairly dry but not perfect. I am not sure yet where the water came in. The woodwork did not appear to be water damaged. I think that I will go back with a big bucket and start pouring water on deck and windows and then peak down below. It seems like a solvable problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Ok. This isn't a red flag but definitely one to investigate. I noticed from the pics a few of the salon windows look like they're delaminating / the sealant is failing. While this in itself isn't a big deal (sealant always eventually delaminates / unpeels on windows after 3-6 years), it's the damage this leak has done that needs checking. Has it softened / stained some plywood / veneer? Has it stained a cushion? Or has it just come from a fresh water hose slightly leaking (unlikely - it's always rain).

I doubt it's a hatch (unless it's a hatch that's been left cracked open) as by nature, they're usually pretty waterproof.

Find the leak asap and get it fixed, as that fresh water coming in is going to cause a hell of a lot of damage, especially with winter coming in the not too distant future. Out of curiosity, where was the water in the bilge? Aft / starboard? Was it obvious it'd come from a failed opening hull hatch (common), or is it definitely a salon window?

n
Old 18-08-2020, 09:46   #14

Quote:
Yes I noticed the windows. I factored that in as we know how to replace them inexpensively. I have done it before. The water was in the starboard side bilge only. The port side was fairly dry but not perfect. I am not sure yet where the water came in. The woodwork did not appear to be water damaged. I think that I will go back with a big bucket and start pouring water on deck and windows and then peak down below. It seems like a solvable problem.

Totally agree! And that's good there's not been any internal staining or damage. Something I didn't realise is the primer you paint on to the perspex windows prior to fitting is a UV blocker, to help stop the UV delaminating the sealant from the perspex.

I've used the Sika solution in the past with some success, but recently used a Bostik UV sealant and primer on a 42ft cat and it was bombproof. Sticks like sh*t and no signs of delam, even after the cat was hit by a fishing boat and suffered quite a large shock loading / twist.

n
Old 18-08-2020, 10:44   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

It is always possible to re sell a good boat. It is only the question of the asking price.

Catamarans are popular and Nautitech is one of the well known brands.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, purchasing