Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 11:48   #1

Considering a Beneteau 45: Rigging Questions

I'm new to this online community, but not new to sailing. I'm at the beginning of the process, but we're shopping new boats, and considering a beneteau 45. I've been doing a bit of reading, and have questions for those who have actually sailed either sister ships or those of similar design. Just trying to collect as much informed opinion as I can.

I like windward sailing. I also recognize sometimes where you want to go is up wind, and I like to get home from a reach. I have read of the weakness of a shoal draft and furling main when close to the wind, and wonder how much is true. If it is, which would be the most effective way to combat it? Longer keel has obvious cruising implications (for Long Island Sound), and hauling a mainsail in on this boat might be a chore. Are vertical battens a solution? I'm not a big racer, but I don't like to be passed. I'm inclined to get a traditional mainsail, but really don't know for sure.

Second... what of this rumor of the rudder losing grip on a beat? I read someone's opinion that the rig should have been dual ruddered. I'm obviously not fixing that, but the author suggested reefing sooner rather than later. Well that has implications for what kind of main to set up!

Third... I see an option for a second headstay, and wonder how many times I might use a smaller headsail. For those with one, how big is it, and what amount of time do you find yourself reefing, or wishing you had a self tacking headsail?

Thanks so much. I hope to join you all soon.
Pair-a-docs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 12:35   #2

Re: Considering a Beneteau 45: Rigging Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pair-a-docs View Post
I'm new to this online community, but not new to sailing. I'm at the beginning of the process, but we're shopping new boats, and considering a beneteau 45. I've been doing a bit of reading, and have questions for those who have actually sailed either sister ships or those of similar design. Just trying to collect as much informed opinion as I can.

I like windward sailing. I also recognize sometimes where you want to go is up wind, and I like to get home from a reach. I have read of the weakness of a shoal draft and furling main when close to the wind, and wonder how much is true. If it is, which would be the most effective way to combat it? Longer keel has obvious cruising implications (for Long Island Sound), and hauling a mainsail in on this boat might be a chore. Are vertical battens a solution? I'm not a big racer, but I don't like to be passed. I'm inclined to get a traditional mainsail, but really don't know for sure.

Second... what of this rumor of the rudder losing grip on a beat? I read someone's opinion that the rig should have been dual ruddered. I'm obviously not fixing that, but the author suggested reefing sooner rather than later. Well that has implications for what kind of main to set up!

Third... I see an option for a second headstay, and wonder how many times I might use a smaller headsail. For those with one, how big is it, and what amount of time do you find yourself reefing, or wishing you had a self tacking headsail?

Thanks so much. I hope to join you all soon.
After you have a properly rigged boat and good sails going upwind is down to the draft, the deeper the better. Compromises have to be made depending on cruising grounds of course but you simply can not make up for a deep draft boat going to windward.
As far as rudders "losing grip" on a beat I have to assume he meant it was stalling and that is fairly easy to look after. Wide sterns and single rudders are not the greatest match unless you are careful to keep the boat on its feet and really limit the heel angle, in most cases trying to sail the boat no more than 20 degrees heel angle. As the boat heels beyond a certain point, the top of the rudder comes out of the water and the rudder begins to stall requiring more rudder etc. Try to limit the helm on the boat to 5 degrees ( thats the amount of rudder you add to compensate for the heel angle) You do this through a variety of different methods but the easiest is to reef the sails. The newer boats like your Benni do have to be reefed early but it will not effect the speed but it sure will effect the control.
Roller reef in mast furled mainsails effect the pointing ability of the boat, no question about that but it makes it very easy to make sure you have just the right amount of sail up. If your going to race stick to a standard sail and add a large roach, if your cruising then go with whatever you like(or your wife likes)A second headstay is nice for flying storm sails, my personal view having had several boats with a staysail and running backstays is to go with a solent stay and forget about the running backs. If you are cruising in the low latitudes then you can get by with a standard head sail.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, rigging