Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2018, 20:42   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Congrats to Seawind.

An artic le from Multihull World on this perennial debate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MM2 Galley MHW147 reduced.pdf (635.1 KB, 121 views)
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 22:54   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
An artic le from Multihull World on this perennial debate.
Thanks, Factor. That article confirms that SAILORS are judging cat layouts for SAILING. This is cool with me, but this view fails to comprehend my wife’s perspective: most of our galley work is at ANCHOR, no matter how many atolls we want to see. The article is focused on helm to galley communication. Fine, but not relevant to us, or to loitering cruisers we float with.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 04:27   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Of course the fundamental question then emerges, if you ain't going to sail, why buy a sailing boat?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 05:12   #49

Congrats to Seawind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Of course the fundamental question then emerges, if you ain't going to sail, why buy a sailing boat?
Good question. After looking at our logs, I realized that tropical island hopping involved more evenings at anchor than evenings at sea. Many more. I want the boat to sail well on passage, and I want the galley to work well for evening meals at anchor. Simple math.
Old 21-12-2018, 08:30   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Thanks, Factor. That article confirms that SAILORS are judging cat layouts for SAILING. This is cool with me, but this view fails to comprehend my wife’s perspective: most of our galley work is at ANCHOR, no matter how many atolls we want to see. The article is focused on helm to galley communication. Fine, but not relevant to us, or to loitering cruisers we float with.
Let me just say, I'm not trying to convince anyone that galley up/down is superior. You have your own taste, and that's what matters. Your boat needs to speak to you, not me.

That said, yes, on the Seawind the helm positions mean the galley position is easily in-contact without being in-the-way. But the seating at the back of the cockpit isn't. Within shouting distance sure, but not line of sight unless the cook pop's their head up to the starboard helm window. That's a good 4 steps away from the cooktop, which is fine with me.

But given the layout of the cockpit on the Seawind, I don't really know why my wife would be out there by herself unless she was seeking a little isolation while I was cooking and she was kicking back with a book or something.

The salon, as open as it is, would seem a better lounging location if finding a comfortable seat with a breeze was the priority.

If you're entertaining, it's a bit of the same. I think it's a great cockpit for a liveaboard and really appreciate the expansiveness of it. And underway it seems top notch for sure. But at anchor, is it the primary place you'd entertain? There's only the one linear bench and a couple raised helm seats. Get some dancing going sure, but if everyone is going to be sitting around a table it's going to be in the salon, not the cockpit I imagine.

Any Seawind owners feel like chiming in? Is this not really the case?

Grilling is a whole other story of course. I imagine you'd treat the salon and cockpit as one giant space then. You might spend a few minutes on prep in the galley for drinks or slicing up some veg or seasoning some meat, but otherwise you're in the cockpit.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you're entertaining, just grill.

I do think you're on the right track thinking about service at anchor though cyan. I'm just not sure, on the Seawinds at least, that people are going to want to be sitting in the cockpit by themselves all that often. I get on a production cat you probably are, but for me at least, that's only because they have universally terrible salons for lounging with poor airflow and often only enough room for a single lounger. (which to me means a backrest and stretching my legs out on the cushions).

There are exceptions of course, but that's pretty true for the majority of production cats I think. While the Lagoon 50 has the space, and a nice window, it seems unlikely it's enough airflow for such a beamy salon given the sealed off hulls. Air may pass through the center of the salon, but it's not likely to benefit you much unless you're sitting at the window. And now you don't have anywhere to put your feet.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me. But charter cat salons are in general not the greatest places to be. That's one of the high-points of the Seawinds for me. The salons aren't just serviceable. They're actually very nice places to be in general.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 08:56   #51

ssmoot, interesting thoughts- yes a current Seawind owner would be helpful here.
I do find it interesting that there are multiple potential customers waiting for a galley-up Seawind cat (in this thread even). Life is full of compromises, and we're ready to buy something else because I know when to pick my battles. When a 1260 zipps past us under sail, I'll have to give the wife that look, though.
Old 21-12-2018, 09:11   #52

Quote:
ssmoot, interesting thoughts- yes a current Seawind owner would be helpful here.
I do find it interesting that there are multiple potential customers waiting for a galley-up Seawind cat (in this thread even). Life is full of compromises, and we're ready to buy something else because I know when to pick my battles. When a 1260 zipps past us under sail, I'll have to give the wife that look, though.
Have you looked at Lightwave? They're another Tony Grainger design, but you do have the option of galley-up there. The 38 seems a good size for a couple. The 45 is obviously more expansive and offers a bridge-deck owner's suite on the Maestro version.

If you're looking for a galley-up Seawind, I think that's as close as you're gonna get.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 11:44   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmoot View Post
Have you looked at Lightwave? They're another Tony Grainger design, but you do have the option of galley-up there. The 38 seems a good size for a couple. The 45 is obviously more expansive and offers a bridge-deck owner's suite on the Maestro version.

If you're looking for a galley-up Seawind, I think that's as close as you're gonna get.
Hey, thanks for the tip!
We looked at an older Lightwave, galley-down and I just assumed they were all like that.
Old 21-12-2018, 13:16   #54

Quote:
Good question. After looking at our logs, I realized that tropical island hopping involved more evenings at anchor than evenings at sea. Many more. I want the boat to sail well on passage, and I want the galley to work well for evening meals at anchor. Simple math.
Sure. But then we spend more of our time in the saloon than the galley, and galley up means compromising the saloon.....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 14:12   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Sure. But then we spend more of our time in the saloon than the galley, and galley up means compromising the saloon.....
I'm curious about this.
We were always clustered in the cockpit when on a smaller cat.
What sort of weather brings you mostly to the saloon when on the hook?
Admittedly, the breeze gets blocked back there, but inside is certainly not for us normally.
Old 21-12-2018, 16:14   #56

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
EXACTLY!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 16:24   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
EXACTLY!
Cool, but do you spend more time in the saloon than in the cockpit area when on the hook? For us the saloon is second best to the cockpit. Maybe we're just outdoor people. (and I realize that not everyone cruises only lower latitudes, but I'm allergic to cold water. sorta)
Old 21-12-2018, 17:04   #58
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Cool, but do you spend more time in the saloon than in the cockpit area when on the hook? For us the saloon is second best to the cockpit. Maybe we're just outdoor people. (and I realize that not everyone cruises only lower latitudes, but I'm allergic to cold water. sorta)
That's what they're saying. Is your sitting in the cockpit based on it being cooler than the salon? Or is your cockpit not covered?

I think I understand what 44c is saying in that he has a capacious salon, with great airflow and a pretty open access from the salon to the covered cockpit. In that case the salon or the cockpit is much of a muchness as you're undercover and it's cool from having great airflow.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 17:47   #59
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Nice to have the option of a spacious cockpit and salon. The beauty of the
Seawind is it integrates the cockpit and salon.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 18:16   #60

Quote:
Our saloon is often cooler than the cockpit, since the stern of the boat usually points more or less toward the equator making the cockpit quite sunny even with shade covers. The saloon is very well ventilated too, moreso than the cockpit.

The saloon in Seawinds is particularly well ventilated with huge opening windows.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind, wind