Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2017, 12:01   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Condo Cat breaks free of foundations and actually sails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Of course, like every catamaran, the motors were running 100% of the time....
Good point, I can break eight kts easily motor sailing
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 12:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Of course, like every catamaran, the motors were running 100% of the time....
true no doubt, but given those (multiple, I am sure) periods of slow progress when the cat and her props were inverted and the time then required to flip her back right side up, I'd consider that kind of speed more than adequate.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 12:16   #18

"Last day of vacation" it ain't over till the fat lady sings!
Looks like you had your lady singing most of yesterday.

Where you solo or did you have company on board, sort of day it's good to share.

Thanks for sharing with us.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 12:17   #19

Boat: Cavalier 975 32'

Good post.
Wish I could do the Peel Island circuit in that time.

As for the haters, my grandmther used to say " Idle hands do the devils work".
I imagine that these days it would also relate to typing hands.
GlennGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 13:04   #20

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
Forgive me. No, indulge me....
I've been avoiding the forum of late. Too much in the way of derogatory, parochial, insular, prejudiced and patronizing comments from some sectors, have worn me down.
One almost starts to feel embarrassed owning a vessel like my Lagoon 440.
So today I decided to "toughen up" - it's an internet forum after all where you can say anything without loosing anonymity nor do you have to conform to usual social mores.

Last day of vacation, to I decided to take the condo out for a spin....

Attachment 139872
Attachment 139873
Attachment 139874
Attachment 139875
Attachment 139876
Attachment 139877
Attachment 139878
Attachment 139879
Attachment 139880
Attachment 139881
Attachment 139882

So, a hare it ain't, nor is it a a tortoise!

PS. For heaven's sake, please, don't take me too seriously here.
I also stopped posting for a while for the same reasons. I finally just started ignoring those posts and enjoyed the others.
I am not bragging nor doing a "one up", But last month I did 11 knots on my Leopard 44. I was in the Canal de Ballenas off the east coast of Baja California. The swells were about one foot high. The wind was doing around 12 knots. I had the symmetrical up. The wind continued to pick up. When the wind hit 20-22 knots, the boat was doing 11 knots. What a thrill!
Have a nice day.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 13:07   #21

To all who have replied, I'm grateful for your positive comments and supportive sentiments. Very refreshing and well received. Thanks

Actually, my skin is not too thin and my ego reasonably robust. Yesterday was one of those days that make you glad to be alive and grateful for the pleasure of the water. Having been overseas for three weeks, I had gone to the marina to do some maintenance, which, as my wife might have predicted, gave way to me getting out there and sailing. Being able to easily sail the boat solo, brings with it the possibility of spontaneity, although, as Paul ("Paul in OZ") mentioned, sharing these times is probably "the best".

Manly Boat Harbour (where I moor Second Wind) is home to well over 2500 vessels and may well have the largest fleet of multihulls iin the southern hemisphere. When I look about the marina, when I talk to fellow owners of mono and multihulls alike, I am impressed by both the variety of boats and the pleasure they bring, individually. There are very few who have nothing good to say about their vessel. Most love then, and even revel in their idiosyncrasies. They are sort of like dogs. Yes, understandably, there are those who just don't like dogs (boats), but if you are a "dog" person, you can appreciate the reward they bring to their owner, even though you personally might opt for one breed, gender, colour over another. And you're sure to give your buddies a pat when next you meet. Admittedly, they can sh*t from time to time, and you have to clean it up, and some dogs sh*t more than others! (I think, that's as far as the analogy can go!)

From my standpoint, the only "sad" boats are the ones that never get sailed, never get cared for, and of course, don't have sails!
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 13:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you are taking withing 100 degrees against a foul tide, that is bloody impressive. I cannot do that in my boat. You're not going very fast -- about 50% of TWS -- but you're obviously not pinching, or else leeway would go up and you would see that on the track.

My boat ought to be much faster than yours, but at slack tide in those conditions 100 degrees over ground is just about the best I can do, maybe 95 in really flat conditions, and worse and worse with a foul tide. That will be at max VMG to windward, which for me means I will be doing 2/3 of TWS.
Thanks.
I'm sure I under appreciate the VMG issue when attempting to sail tight upwind. I'm sure racing would make one much more attuned to it. In fact I crew on a racing mono (Archambault A40) periodically and know that she is faster upwind when pointing a little off the the wind. I probably think about it more on Second Wind when sailing down wind, avoiding DDW.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
Old 20-01-2017, 13:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't know, 10+ kts I'll only see if my boat is behind a truck
Well, mine does have some "truck like" properties!
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
Old 20-01-2017, 13:31   #24
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Sounds like you have one of those inaccurate Chinese chart plotters! But seriously, really good speeds. Sometimes it's a mix of a good boat and good sailer.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 13:34   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes View Post
I also stopped posting for a while for the same reasons. I finally just started ignoring those posts and enjoyed the others.
I am not bragging nor doing a "one up", But last month I did 11 knots on my Leopard 44. I was in the Canal de Ballenas off the east coast of Baja California. The swells were about one foot high. The wind was doing around 12 knots. I had the symmetrical up. The wind continued to pick up. When the wind hit 20-22 knots, the boat was doing 11 knots. What a thrill!
Have a nice day.
Thanks.

Nice job with the Leopard. Great boat! There is one here in Brisbane.

The highest SOG I've logged was 12kts with the screecher on a reach in kind seas like you describe in Baja. I, however, had more wind and probably should have furlled the screecher and opted for the genoa (18-20kts AWS)!

19kts surfing once - but that really doesn't count!
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
Old 20-01-2017, 13:38   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
"Last day of vacation" it ain't over till the fat lady sings!
Looks like you had your lady singing most of yesterday.

Where you solo or did you have company on board, sort of day it's good to share.

Thanks for sharing with us.
Hey Paul. It must be two years since you passed through Manly. You were moored near me at RQYS. Nice to hear from you and glad that you are still sailing up and down the east coast.

No solo it was yesterday - sort of a spontaneous day! But you are right - solo is fun but good company is better.

Cheers.

Malcolm.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
Old 20-01-2017, 13:46   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
Thanks.
I'm sure I under appreciate the VMG issue when attempting to sail tight upwind. I'm sure racing would make one much more attuned to it. In fact I crew on a racing mono (Archambault A40) periodically and know that she is faster upwind when pointing a little off the the wind. I probably think about it more on Second Wind when sailing down wind, avoiding DDW.
On our first solo regatta on a Hobie 16, a buddy and I had previously only sailed on monohulls. Trying to point like them kept us with them. The cat guys told us to "heat it up and bang the corners."

It was a blast, til the wind died and most everybody ended up motoring in past us (Lake Travis, Austin). I don't know the exact percentages of speed gained per degree off the wind, but speed also helped us tack. I'd be willing to bet the same applies to a reasonable degree on cruising cats. I need to find my old books on the subject. Very informative and make sailing more enjoyable.
steveth3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 14:13   #28

Boat: Heritage 35

Ok all you cat lovers Not to brag I have a 35 ft mono that's seen 17.5 kts over the bottom! Easy peasy. However in the interest of full disclosure that was down the St. Lawrence at the Saguenay River with an Ebb tide under us! and came up the river in the same spot against the ebb at 10.2 with an Eddie! P'd off some open 60's when we went by them tucked into shore!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 14:17   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Good point, I can break eight kts easily motor sailing
I can make 6 knots with a 2 knot tide going with me....
Westerly Centaur.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 14:57   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Ok all you cat lovers Not to brag I have a 35 ft mono that's seen 17.5 kts over the bottom! Easy peasy. However in the interest of full disclosure that was down the St. Lawrence at the Saguenay River with an Ebb tide under us! and came up the river in the same spot against the ebb at 10.2 with an Eddie! P'd off some open 60's when we went by them tucked into shore!
Our best days run was 120 miles in 10 hours into Chesterfield reef.

We've seen 20 knots fairly often, fastest recorded (by GPS) was just under 25, but that was surfing.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails