Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2015, 07:13   #1

Boat: Pearson Ensign , Sea Pearl 21
Comprehensive List of Cats Available?

Hi All, I am in the search of the 'perfect' cat....I realize at the end of the day it will be a decision based on compromise. But how to get started? I'm feeling a bit like Alice at the moment, and the magazines that cover cats are sub-par IMHO.

I'll do the boat shows, charter, cruise the forums/webs etc. but where is the list of ALL the manufacturers? I don't want to miss the 'best one'!

How can begin a high level filtering process? The Multihull Dynamic site is the best I've seen so far but I am looking even higher level at the moment.
Does anyone have a list they can share?
Old 16-05-2015, 07:35   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Comprehensive List of Cats Available?

Try SailBoatData.com
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 11:04   #3

Boat: Outremer 55 Light

The best I found was multihull dynamics as well
Multihull Dynamics, Inc. - Home
elaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 11:42   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Multihulls World publishes an annual buyer's guide every Jan/Feb. It lists basic details like length, beam, displacement, sail area and price for every cat and tri in production. You can download the mag for a few euros.
Old 17-05-2015, 08:00   #5

Boat: catalina 30

Try this site: Catamarans for Sale: Latest Listing, Latest Price Cuts, Featured Listings, Sales Pending, Recent Sold Catamarans, Weekly Spotlight
nashuasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 10:43   #6

Boat: Brent Swain design 36' steel sloop

Multihull Brokerage - Scott Brown Multihulls --there is also a discussion group.
sunbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 10:59   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

One of the best lists of used Cats with reviews is Charles Kanters book:

http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Catam.../dp/0961840684
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 13:44   #8

Boat: St. Francis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchdaddy View Post
Hi All, I am in the search of the 'perfect' cat....I realize at the end of the day it will be a decision based on compromise. But how to get started? I'm feeling a bit like Alice at the moment, and the magazines that cover cats are sub-par IMHO.

I'll do the boat shows, charter, cruise the forums/webs etc. but where is the list of ALL the manufacturers? I don't want to miss the 'best one'!

How can begin a high level filtering process? The Multihull Dynamic site is the best I've seen so far but I am looking even higher level at the moment.
I went through the same thing. Spent countless hours researching so many different models, and they all started to blend together.

Two boats I would really put high on your list that aren't out yet: The Balance 526 and the TAG 55. Both are very interesting. I got to walk through them both while in St. Francis, working on my St. Francis 50 build.

What's crazy is that my search for the perfect cruising cat narrowed down to all three of these boats, and they are all built in the same small town in South Africa. I also visited the Gunboat yard in NC to look at the 55, but found it too spartan for living aboard. A blast around the buoys, no doubt, but I didn't think I could be on the boat for months at a time, much less years.

The TAG is the more extreme design of the three, but very appealing to me. (I don't know your plans, so I'm just going off my desire for a perfect circumnavigator and live-aboard). The Balance 526 looks to be fast and spacious. Got to really dig through her, and came away impressed with the boat and the builders.

In the end, I went with the St. Francis because it has been refined over so many iterations for doing exactly what I want: Living aboard and long-distance cruising. There's a spot for everything, so it all gets stowed away. And the dinghy sits on chocks, so you can take a large one and not worry about how it dangles. Until the other two launch, I won't know for sure, but I always felt like I'd be happy on any of these three boats.

A comprehensive list would be nice, but even better is a list of 10 to 15 manufactures or models that you absolutely love, and just concentrate on them. Another that I was keen on was the Nautitech 521. So many great cats out there, to be honest. The FP Helia 44 is also stunning.
Hugh Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 16:50   #9

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchdaddy View Post

When you get closer to the decision time I have a spreadsheet system to help you assess & compare cats objectively. If you would like a copy PM me

TwT
Old 17-05-2015, 23:21   #10

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

We're cruising the South African coast at the moment and are in Knysna lagoon, not far from Cape St Francis. We have been amazed at the number of great cats being built here, many we've never heard of. I really need a bigger piggy bank. :-/

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 01:53   #11

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

Cats have to be built well here in SA - the seas get a bit on the rough side so builders have to demo their boats and make sure they are good 'n strong.

Enjoy Knysna - hope your entrance into the Knysna heads were not too hairy !!
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 06:49   #12

Boat: solaris 42 1978

my solaris 42 built in england in 1978 is a pretty solid boat to say the least ,, was perfect for me to live on when i needed it ,, no longer need it..
sale priced here on the cruisers forum at 45,000 you could put 30,000 in it "i did" and would a really great boat ..
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 07:32   #13

Boat: Pearson Ensign , Sea Pearl 21

Appreciate it Hugh! I agree with your comments and sentiments with respect to the ideal boat. The St. Francis, Balance and FP Helia are all sweet boats.

However the cost for anything in the +50' range starts to be more then I want to put into a boat. Also sailing it with only 1-2 persons on board is another important factor for me.