Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2024, 09:43   #1

Comprehensive catamaran reviews?

Hello

We are looking to buy a catamaran built within the last 5 years and would love any links to articles/forums/etc on this topic. I apologize if this is in the wrong place and I appreciate any helpful guidance.

Thanks in advance
Ian
Ianpatrick10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 10:09   #2

Re: Comprehensive catamaran reviews?

https://www.bing.com/search?pglt=43&...ANNTA1&PC=HCTS
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 11:13   #3

Boat: Catana 41

Reviews are always tricky. You always have to determine who the audience for a review is before you can even figure out whether it's valuable information for you. Obviously all boats are compromises and we all fit differently on the Comfort, Performance, Cost Triangle. That being said, RubyRose certainly put out a lot of catamaran reviews on Youtube when they were having their new Seawind built. They're youtube cruisers coming from a monohull world, so use that eye when you watch their videos. It's nice to have the same people review a wide selection of boats so that you really get some contrast.

Here's their catamaran review playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hbk-RCaeXVqkSE

All boats are right for someone. The key to finding the right boat is actually figuring out what's important to you. Hopefully you're coming to this decision with lots of experience that allows you to read/watch reviews and determine if the boat is right for you.

Good Luck
JasonBRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 11:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBRose View Post
Reviews are always tricky. You always have to determine who the audience for a review is before you can even figure out whether it's valuable information for you. Obviously all boats are compromises and we all fit differently on the Comfort, Performance, Cost Triangle. That being said, RubyRose certainly put out a lot of catamaran reviews on Youtube when they were having their new Seawind built. They're youtube cruisers coming from a monohull world, so use that eye when you watch their videos. It's nice to have the same people review a wide selection of boats so that you really get some contrast.

Here's their catamaran review playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hbk-RCaeXVqkSE

All boats are right for someone. The key to finding the right boat is actually figuring out what's important to you. Hopefully you're coming to this decision with lots of experience that allows you to read/watch reviews and determine if the boat is right for you.

Good Luck
Thank you so much for the reply and for the link. I will check out their video. I lived on a 46' ketch that I rebuilt then sailed internationally so Im fairly savvy with sailing in general, however Ive only skippered a catamaran a few weeks at a time and just want to avoid pitfalls with certain models, etc.

Thanks again.
(also I sailed from Cali to HI and I see you're in Honolulu)

Ian
Old 10-02-2024, 12:35   #5

Hey Ian, glad you are coming at this with a good background. Too many people watch youtube videos and just go out and buy a boat with no experience. The transition from monohull to cat has some distinct challenges.

The main issue is where to put them. If you're going to be cruising full time, then anchoring and mooring is no problem, but if you're going to be in one place, I wouldn't buy a cat until I got a slip for it. Wait lists can be insanely long for end ties. The alternative is to find/pay for two slips.

If you've been out of sailing for a while, insurance has gotten really difficult. Again I'd probably look at what I can insure before I bought a boat.

The other big thing when going to a cat is the cost of maintenance. Everything is bigger/more expensive than a comparable mono. I just spent over $30k on rigging which your insurance company will require every 10 years whether you need it or not. Wiring runs are longer and require larger gauge wire. Systems are more complex and don't seem to last as long. All your deck hardware is beefier and exponentially more expensive. You've got two engines to deal with and the list goes on. You said you're looking for something in the 5 y/o range, so you shouldn't have to worry about those things yet, but you also said you rebuilt your old boat. So you know about boat maintenance and if you're thinking about buying a bargain that needs work, these are definitely things to consider. My Catana is 15 y/o now and was an ex-charter boat. I got it relatively cheap, but it's taken a lot of money to bring it up to par.

Hope all those review videos help. Can't say I particularly care for the Ruby Rose guy's style, but they have reviewed a lot of boats. Watching their videos, I'd probably have gone with a Seawind like they did, but I've checked out one of their recent videos and it seems like they have a bit of buyer's remorse.

Jason
Old 10-02-2024, 15:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianpatrick10 View Post
Thank you so much for the reply and for the link. I will check out their video. I lived on a 46' ketch that I rebuilt then sailed internationally so Im fairly savvy with sailing in general, however Ive only skippered a catamaran a few weeks at a time and just want to avoid pitfalls with certain models, etc.

Thanks again.
(also I sailed from Cali to HI and I see you're in Honolulu)

Ian
Jason

Yeah, definitely remember the exponential increase in cost per foot of length overall. We are actually looking for a cat a bit smaller than those reviewed in the video. Its just my wife and I and the occasional friend group that can make it. This boat will be our early retirement home. Although Im able to install/fix/repair much Id rather, with this boat, find one more on the "ready to go" spectrum. Id like the boat to be somehwere in the Atlantic and not really any bigger than 42' for that exponential cost factor we both seem to understand.

I want Yanmar or equivalent low(er) maintenace cost diesels.

Thanks again
Ian
Old 10-02-2024, 19:05   #7

Boat: LAGOON 400

my observations after 7 years full time: comfort at anchor. it is possibly most important for long term sailing as one spends 90+% of time on anchor. What I mean is comfort in non-flat water anchorage. From my observation, this is where sailing couples make it or break it. Heavier boats do better but will not mention any brands not to offend certain group of people that probably still frequent CF.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 19:43   #8

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

The O’Kelly’s also reviewed quite a few before being lent an Outremer for a few months:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...Cu3QvJGxe8UqWD
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 19:52   #9

Hahaha, my wife and I weren't married when I spent 8 years cruising my monohull. I'm amazed at what she won't tolerate at anchor on our cat, so I totally agree that comfort at anchor is super important. It's what catamarans excel at in general. I almost bought a buddies Atlantic 42. It ended up being a bit too spartan for us, but we spent the night anchored in a lumpy spot on the west side of the Big Island and still had a lovely sleep even though it's a light displacement boat. I'm sure a Lagoon 400 is more comfortable than my Catana 41 at anchor, but both are soooooo much nicer than a 46' ketch in a lumpy anchorage

I agree with you on the Yanmars, my Volvos are a PITA to get parts for, but haven't been too bad to work on. Not sure what manufactures are using these days. I checked out a late model Seawind as well as a Lagoon that had Yanmars.

On the Atlantic side you shouldn't have any problems finding cats. It's way tougher in the Pacific. My wife and I took a couple of boat shopping trips to Florida before buying our boat in French Polynesia.
Old 10-02-2024, 20:38   #10

You will look long and hard to find a published review which will describe the downsides of any boat. Anybody publishing reviews has the major boat manufacturers as their principle advertisers. They are never going to piss them off. Almost all posted reviews are written by owners who are inherently biased, usually on the positive side, but sometimes they have an axe to grind.

In my own case, as a sometime delivery skipper I am very aware of the downsides of some very well publicized brands, but will not publish nasty things about my client’s boats because I do not want to piss them off.

There are virtually no unbiased reviews of boats, anywhere.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 00:48   #11

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I always advise "potential" cat owners to work from first principles. Understanding the various elements of a catamaran to establish what they do and which ones are appropriate to you is much more important than reading reviews that are inevitably influenced by advertising revenue or other ulterior motives.
Go to the catamaran designers websites and read the technical articles. Once you have an incite into why things are like they are then you can apply judgement to what is available on the market.

https://www.time-for-a-catamaran-adv...ran-designers/

Kurt Hughes, Chris White, Richard Woods, James Wharram, Geoff Schionning, John Shuttleworth.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, reviews