Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2021, 15:59   #46
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Composting toilets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
As a former avid gardener, I know well what compost is and what is not compost. Ground coconut shells, peat moss or any other substance with today's or yesterday's poop mixed in it is not compost.

That’s obvious
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 16:03   #47

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
A number of boats these days have two heads.
Maybe you could have one set up with a composting toilet and the other with a flushing toilet.

You could then use them according to where you are on the day.
I've heard of boats with exactly this set up. Seems like a good idea to me.

Personally, I think the idea setup for cruisers not confined to no-discharge waters would be to have one head as a composter, and the other as direct discharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
... why don't we just call them desiccating heads or desiccating toilets? Some compost, but that's not the goal for most. They dry out the poop, after which it doesn't stink and is easier to handle.

Yes, the composting label always bothered me, and is most cases, not wholly accurate.
Agreed. While these heads can and do compost, that's not their primary mode of operation. Nor is it how most cruisers use them. But I guess "desiccating head" just doesn't have the same ring. Sometimes they are referred to as separator toilets. Again... not really a good ring to that either.

Personally, I don't really care what they call them. I just know they work, and for my needs, are far superior than the alternatives. But I'm amused that some people get all bent out of shape about the term.

Think of it this way; composting heads do compost, but how much depends on how they are used. It's much like most cruising sailboats with motors. They do sail, but they also motor. Depending on how they are used, they may sail a lot, or a little. Yet no one argues they shouldn't be called sailboats.
Old 08-07-2021, 16:09   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

We where about to be boarded by the rangers @ Ft. Jefferson NP, Dry Tortugas to check our head..told them we would be delighted but we have a composter..they we replied:”No need have a good day..”
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 16:10   #49
smj

Composting toilets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've heard of boats with exactly this set up. Seems like a good idea to me.

Personally, I think the idea setup for cruisers not confined to no-discharge waters would be to have one head as a composter, and the other as direct discharge.

Agreed. While these heads can and do compost, that's not their primary mode of operation. Nor is it how most cruisers use them. But I guess "desiccating head" just doesn't have the same ring. Sometimes they are referred to as separator toilets. Again... not really a good ring to that either.

Personally, I don't really care what they call them. I just know they work, and for my needs, are far superior than the alternatives. But I'm amused that some people get all bent out of shape about the term.

Think of it this way; composting heads do compost, but how much depends on how they are used. It's much like most cruising sailboats with motors. They do sail, but they also motor. Depending on how they are used, they may sail a lot, or a little. Yet no one argues they shouldn't be called sailboats.

So Mike, when you dispose of the solids by burying in the woods will that continue the composting process?
Old 08-07-2021, 16:13   #50

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Learn from the beautiful manatees. Consume twice your body weight in fresh vegetables every day. Go for a swim. Your “biscuits “ will float gently out to sea offending no one. No bidet offers more cleanliness.
Compress the offgas for fuel and lower your carbon footprint.
Happy trails to you
The manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 16:29   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
A number of boats these days have two heads.
Maybe you could have one set up with a composting toilet and the other with a flushing toilet.

You could then use them according to where you are on the day.
If I were to use two heads I’d make one composting for dookies and the other for pee only. Then that tank is technically gray water so, easier.

I didn’t realize this was such a hot topic and prone to inflammation, apologies for that although I’m finding good discussion here nonetheless so I have no regrets. I don’t see the usefulness of their compost in a garden to be of any relevance to their validity as a way to dispose of human waste so I’m a bit confused on that criticism but okay. I agree most folks who can’t wrap their mind around them haven’t used one.
But, help me out because I’ve mostly only used the natures head version which has a holding tank and a stirring rod that mixes all of it up. Works well and may speed up the composting as a result, however makes clean out a little more complex. I’ve considered a bag and bucket type solution that doesn’t have stir rod (this action could foul up the bag IMO) so then disposal could be easier. Then in use it would be poop, then layer of peat or coconut shreds, then keep layering like that until full and then simply tie bag and haul to shore. Are there versions that use bags but still have a stirring action? Is stirring even beneficial?
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 16:33   #52

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

To directly answer the original poster's question, I think the single largest barrier is cost. They are frightfully expensive for what they are. Nonetheless, I spent the $ and have owned and used one for six years. I think they are fabulous for my needs, but I think if they were priced more reasonably, a LOT more people would be willing to give them a try...and probably figure out that they're a pretty good alternative to traditional holding tank systems.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 16:36   #53
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
If I were to use two heads I’d make one composting for dookies and the other for pee only. Then that tank is technically gray water so, easier.

I didn’t realize this was such a hot topic and prone to inflammation, apologies for that although I’m finding good discussion here nonetheless so I have no regrets. I don’t see the usefulness of their compost in a garden to be of any relevance to their validity as a way to dispose of human waste so I’m a bit confused on that criticism but okay. I agree most folks who can’t wrap their mind around them haven’t used one.

But, help me out because I’ve mostly only used the natures head version which has a holding tank and a stirring rod that mixes all of it up. Works well and may speed up the composting as a result, however makes clean out a little more complex. I’ve considered a bag and bucket type solution that doesn’t have stir rod (this action could foul up the bag IMO) so then disposal could be easier. Then in use it would be poop, then layer of peat or coconut shreds, then keep layering like that until full and then simply tie bag and haul to shore. Are there versions that use bags but still have a stirring action? Is stirring even beneficial?

Urine would be black water not grey water
Old 08-07-2021, 16:39   #54

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

While the concept sounds good. It just seems disgusting. Carrying that stuff is unsanitary, and if someone mixes up the compartments, I can’t imagine what it must be like to have to empty a bowl of stuff that has been cross contaminated.
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 16:41   #55
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
While the concept sounds good. It just seems disgusting. Carrying that stuff is unsanitary, and if someone mixes up the compartments, I can’t imagine what it must be like to have to empty a bowl of stuff that has been cross contaminated.

And you have a holding tank?[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 08-07-2021, 16:46   #56

I ripped it out.
Old 08-07-2021, 16:52   #57
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
I ripped it out.

So do you pump directly overboard?
Old 08-07-2021, 16:58   #58

3 miles out. I asked if we didn’t have one if they’d impound my boat and people said no. Worst case I’d get a fine, and I have another as decoration. Fine me all day, but I treat the ocean nice and only use them 3 miles out.
Old 08-07-2021, 16:59   #59
smj

Hopefully you aren’t located in the US
Old 08-07-2021, 17:00   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
Wondering why I’m not seeing a lot more composting toilets on cruisers?
I think the main reason is that wet toilets are more similar to what we are used to and people are afraid of change, especially when it comes to bathroom habits.

In my case I bought an older Catalina and didn't take long to develop an apprehension to the wet head, afraid of the stanchion vent that will eventually spray poopy water all over the port deck at the worst possible time. Moreover my cruising area is entirely no discharge and the family would fill up the waste tank in 7-10 days. Getting a composting (sorry, desiccating) head was a no brainer.
Heck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting