Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 14:51   #1

Comparing production cat sailing performance at boat shows

Of course, performance is only one corner of the Performance/Cost/Comfort triangle that buyers consider when looking at cats, but why not take all the different models out in the exact same conditions and compare how they sail against each other.

What spurred this was this video:

where a Lagoon 52S hit 27 knots surfing down waves in 50kt winds. I've always assumed that due to weight and wide hulls, Lagoons sailed like tanks. FPs weren't much better, but probably had less windage. Obviously, that video shows almost buried bows and conditions probably very close to the safety limit, but it got me doing research and Lagoons tend to do surprisingly well in the ARC Rallies. Often outperforming some "performance" cats (yes, I know you can motor and it's not a pure test, but it does show how I would sail the boat as a cruiser).

Why not take the opportunities at boat shows when all the boats are together to get them out in the same conditions and see how they perform? Is it because they are often borrowed by owners and they don't want the liability?
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 20:28   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Comparing production cat sailing performance at boat shows

That video was posted earlier on this forum. I think the general consensus was the gps sensor might have momentarily hit that speed, but the boat surely didn't. As for the rest of your post, I don't have a comment.
Old 16-10-2017, 22:23   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You can normally get a pretty accurate speed comparison by comparing boat's Polars to one another. Assuming, that is, that the folks creating the Polars are honest, & also use realistically loaded boats when computing them.

Several of the governing yacht racing bodies will do this for most boats for a fee. Also, you can get them from the builder/designer. In addition to owner's associations. Though the 1st one is likely to be the most accurate, with owner's associations & forums being the 2nd best, plus or minus.

You can also compare the racing ratings of different boats. And try & get these PHRF ratings from regions with differing persistent wind patterns. Meaning look up the ratings somewhere that it's perpetually windy, as well as their ratings where the wind's perpetually light.

And if you can, try & get Polars for the boats when they're at various different states of being loaded down. As some sail better than others when full of gear & crew.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 22:37   #4

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Looks can be deceiving when it comes to speed.
Here's a good example!

snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 23:19   #5

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
Why not take the opportunities at boat shows when all the boats are together to get them out in the same conditions and see how they perform? Is it because they are often borrowed by owners and they don't want the liability?
The other challenge is getting equally-talented sailors on each of the boats. A good racing-experienced crew can make a huge difference.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show, sail, sailing