Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 19:45   #1

Boat: Stuart 47
Code Zero or screecher

Which sail is more versitile, a code zero or a screecher for cruising only?

Seawind 1000

Thanks
geoffq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 20:50   #2

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Re: Code Zero or screecher

Depends on your definition of the two. If you agree with the definition in this article (which is how I understand it) https://www.quantumsails.com/en/reso...t-code-0-sails then go for a code 0 for cruising (which is what we did). We had big main, small jib, code 0 (cruising) and a large asymmetrical which gave us lots of choices. The next sail I would have added was a smaller symmetrical spinnaker for long deep downwind passages. The code 0 was on a top down furler and the asymm in a sock.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 00:41   #3

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

I had a screecher, we used it more than any other sail, even using by itself a lot. Gave lots of speed.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:06   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

If you have a fast light boat, a Seawind should fit this as long as it is kept light, then a screecher will give you the most "cruising" versatility.

A screecher is flatter than a Code 0 so can be used in light wind conditions when the apparent wind is pulled forward. In very light conditions we can be close hauled down wind. A Code 0 will not allow you to do this.

As a multi can hang just about anything on the mast to sail down wind in moderate winds then a screecher can be used in combination with a jib wing on wing.

If your boat is slower then a Code 0 can be bigger and therefore give more power when reaching but will not allow you to make use of the apparent winds.

If you decide on a screecher have it cut so that you can close sheet it to your jib sheet tracks otherwise the upwind ability will be wasted. In order to optimise the light wind performance the sail itself also needs to be light and strong I have had mine made using high tech materials without any UV protection as it is always taken down when not in use.

Get it right and it will transform the boat, so much so that in our case we retired our spinnaker.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:10   #5

Thanks, will be going out for 2 weeks from this weekend, so more thinking to do before getting one or the other, cheers
Old 03-12-2019, 08:19   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

And I thought a Screecher was just what multi guys called a Code zero.
Of course a cruising Code zero, doesn’t meet the rules for a Code zero, so it’s not really a Code zero either, or that’s my understanding anyway.
There is a lot of leeway as of course it doesn’t have to meet any rules so one sailmakers Code zero can be very different than another sailmakers.

Our Code zero has a UV strip, but it’s made from lightweight sail cloth, so it’s only partially effective, but if you want to stop for a few days you can leave the sail up.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
And I thought a Screecher was just what multi guys called a Code zero.
once you get away from the racing definitions and restrictions there is a lot of wiggle room . . . . but generally . . . . .

A Screecher is mostly a multihull term for a very large, very flat sail, for going upwind or just cracked off. . A Screecher is larger, higher clewed, and fuller than a Genoa, but uniformly flatter than a Code 0.

There is quite a range of 'cruising code zero' designs, at the flattest end, in light air, they can sail just 5 degrees cracked off from close-hauled.

so, they can be quite close in design, but very broadly a zero is close reaching and deeper, and screecher is more close-hauled to reacher.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 14:15   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
once you get away from the racing definitions and restrictions there is a lot of wiggle room . . . . but generally . . . . .

A Screecher is mostly a multihull term for a very large, very flat sail, for going upwind or just cracked off. . A Screecher is larger, higher clewed, and fuller than a Genoa, but uniformly flatter than a Code 0.

There is quite a range of 'cruising code zero' designs, at the flattest end, in light air, they can sail just 5 degrees cracked off from close-hauled.

so, they can be quite close in design, but very broadly a zero is close reaching and deeper, and screecher is more close-hauled to reacher.
Basically agree with a lot of this. The thing about cats is because they are so beamy it is possible to move the sheeting angle a lot which makes some conventional sail usage change.

This extra beam also means some more conventional things like whisker poles need to be longer than on monohulls.

Combined with what I will call local sailing conditions this means a lot of details affect the choice you asked about.

I have a Seawind similar to yours. I tend to sail it mostly in Florida where the winds are mostly light and often I am in less than ten knots. I have a screecher that was recut (props to Mack sails for customer service) flatter than it came out of the box. I use it in a wide range of conditions and points of sail.

Sheeted in tight it really shines going to weather. It also does well reaching. I have also sailed wing on wing with the working jib; but I always try and favor the side the screecher is on incase the working jib switches sides since the working jib is self tacking.

For really light down wind work I got some one inch PVC and put a T fitting on one end, ran some line through it and tie it onto the mast base for a cheap workable whisker pole.

As noted most cats sail fast enough that the apparent wind shifts forward enough that sails benefit from a flatter cut. If the boat is going deep down wind some type of spinnaker would probably be a better choice. But the problem with that is that often a cat will be going fast enough that if there is any seaway falling down the face of a wave can cause the spinnaker to deflate. It is also common for cats to not sail dead down wind but gybe back and forth for a better VMG.

Somewhere between 10 to 15 knots the working jib is all you really want up unless you have a good reason to keep a bigger head sail up. Which raises questions like where you sail, what level of crew ability you have, and to some extent how much effort are you willing to put up with to get extra speed.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 15:35   #9

A screecher and a symmetrical spinnaker will cover pretty much all the light wind sailing angles.

If the budget's a bit tighter, an assymetric spinnaker will cover most, except windward work.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:06   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
A screecher and a symmetrical spinnaker will cover pretty much all the light wind sailing angles.

If the budget's a bit tighter, an assymetric spinnaker will cover most, except windward work.

This, but I believe only for performance cats that pull the AWA forward. Our French boat calls our flat furling sail a Gennaker. It is good to about 150 AWA in light wind, but we are easily driven.

For slower mainstream cats with larger genoas (and these days masts are moving further aft) that don’t need extra help upwind or close reaching then a symmetric spinnaker is most useful, as it can still be used for reaching. If budget allows, go for a wingaker.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:38   #11

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

That seems pretty simple. Thanks for that. I just had my sailmaker over today, deciding on our sailplan. He seems pretty good, but gets mired in the nitty gritty, when talking sail options. He's also a monohull sailor, with mostly monohull experience.

It's nice to hear from someone with experience, which sails work.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 23:02   #12

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
That seems pretty simple. Thanks for that. I just had my sailmaker over today, deciding on our sailplan. He seems pretty good, but gets mired in the nitty gritty, when talking sail options. He's also a monohull sailor, with mostly monohull experience.
With the size boat you have, I'd suggest also talking to a sailmaker with multihull experience. The sailing angles and loads can be quite different. I'd highly recommend Dave Calvert https://calvertsails.com/ for another opinion. He's a multihull racer and cruiser, and built a number of sails for us that were great.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:08   #13

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Thanks Mark.

I have been in contact with Dave Calvert, and with Mack Sails, regards our inventory; but proximity is an issue this year. I agree with you, regards experience, and I may decide to wait, and go to Fl for the job.

I'm in Halifax, NS, for the winter, and decided to give the local North Sails loft a shot. He was here for a chat yesterday, and took some measurements, and we'll see where it goes from there. He's well respected here, and has a fair bit of "big boat" and "mega boat" experience, though not much multihull experience.

For various reasons, foremost of which is integrity, my preference would be Mack Sails. I may get the rig here, and sails and deck hardware there. At the moment, I'm exploring my options. Getting the mast on soon, would certainly benefit the morale aboard.

Cheers, and thank you for your comments.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:01   #14

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
He's well respected here, and has a fair bit of "big boat" and "mega boat" experience, though not much multihull experience.
Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Whole suit of sails backed and money refunded. Time wasted and stress is not worth it.

Sorry, but if they are not familiar with multi's then give them a miss, however nice and convincing they sound let them practice on someone else's boat.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:55   #15

Is this a screecher or code zero?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test-seawind-1000-01_w0_h590_r2_q90.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	204394