Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 17:33   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Maybe I've misread the weather reports on TV, and am mistaken in my discussion with the few cruisers I've met that have been to Tasmania but isn't the weather there characterised by being cold and wet with some serious storms?
nice boat Boracay, a real boat too, but Launceston ain't Scotland! I'd imagine conditions around there would be similar to the Victorian coast just across the strait. No cyclones either...
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 18:12   #17

Scroll down the pages of The Coastal Passage, there is a cat design and a brief pictorial description of assembly and further details as to where to obtain the plans. From the description you have given of your requirements, this seems to be a very good fit. Cheap, good looking and can be done by some one with reasonable construction skills. best of luck.
spiritbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 19:27   #18

Boat: Traditional 30
Or you could buy a seawind 24 for 20k (about the same as it will cost to build and fit a smaller cat), put a tarp over the boom and go sailing tomorrow instead I know its probably not the ideal boat. But so many people lose months and years of quality sailing time for the sake of building thier own perfect cruising boat. Good luck with it either way mate.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 19:43   #19

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
I'm a confirmed gaff rigger/traditional full keel monohull type. However. Wharram's cats have grabbed me from the first I ever saw of them forty years ago. I have seen ugly ones. I have also seen lovely, sleek sea boats like the one in the above photos. I sailed in company with one .... uhh, okay, I watched one go by several times ... some years ago that was built with all members lashed in place with nylon rope. She was beautiful, fast, a real keeper. But sure the modern designed ones work, I guess.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 22:15   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Maybe I've misread the weather reports on TV, and am mistaken in my discussion with the few cruisers I've met that have been to Tasmania but isn't the weather there characterised by being cold and wet with some serious storms?

That said a small lightweight catamaran may do inside the Barrier Reef, or cautiously cruised through Indonesia or the Philippines, but Tasmania, no.

If I was building a boat to cruise Tasmania, and it had to be small, I'd be tempted by the Selway Fisher Hart 27 design.

In my opinion a much larger engine would be needed. Strip plank can be fast and easy.
The OP said he wanted to build a CATAMARAN. If he had said a MONOHULL, then I'm sure your suggestion would have been fine. He didn't.

I'd suggest that as he lives in Tasmania, he is familiar with the weather there. Quite possibly more so than someone who watches the weather on TV, and has talked to a few cruisers.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 23:31   #21

I see we have sparked the Mono/Multi debate lol. Sorry monhull affecionados but I am a defecter, having raced in the Darwin-Ambon as well as Phuet and other races through Indonesia I got sick of watching the cat's sterns dissapear!

The weather here can be unforgiving, but I don't believe any worse than the English channel, black sea etc. It has a bad reputation, one that demands respect, mostly this is due to the Sydney to Hobart, again a very different scenario to cruising. (Also a much longer voyage being, as the name implies from Sydney to the southern port of Tasmania, Hobart. The straight is roughly 200nm wide, (Launceston to Melbourne) there are also around 50 islands in the straight (some being more exposed reefs than islands lol) So island hoping is definately possible, I might add, the speed appeal of a multi over a mono appeals again in these conditions.

Like any cruising trip, picking the weather is crucial. Weather here is, like said previously not unsimilar to Melbourne. Except perhaps we don't usually get all the seasons in one day lol. Mostly though it will be coastal cruising of the main island of Tassie, the crossing likely to be a one off when we eventually return to Adelaide (Not that the family is likely to join me on that leg, they will be on the Spirit of Tassie)

I have looked at the Coastal passage a couple of times but didn't notice the plans.. .will look again!

Unfortunately for us the seawind 24 is just too wet and primitive. But I think your comments are very valid, for me the building will help fill in the time between now and when I will be in a position to actually go cruising!

Must say the Woods plans appeal due to their proven performance in these types on conditions, but do like the look of the Kendrick dsigns....
Cookiesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 03:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesa View Post
I see we have sparked the Mono/Multi debate lol. Sorry monhull affecionados but I am a defecter, having raced in the Darwin-Ambon as well as Phuet and other races through Indonesia I got sick of watching the cat's sterns dissapear!

The weather here can be unforgiving, but I don't believe any worse than the English channel, black sea etc. It has a bad reputation, one that demands respect, mostly this is due to the Sydney to Hobart, again a very different scenario to cruising. (Also a much longer voyage being, as the name implies from Sydney to the southern port of Tasmania, Hobart. The straight is roughly 200nm wide, (Launceston to Melbourne) there are also around 50 islands in the straight (some being more exposed reefs than islands lol) So island hoping is definately possible, I might add, the speed appeal of a multi over a mono appeals again in these conditions.

Like any cruising trip, picking the weather is crucial. Weather here is, like said previously not unsimilar to Melbourne. Except perhaps we don't usually get all the seasons in one day lol. Mostly though it will be coastal cruising of the main island of Tassie, the crossing likely to be a one off when we eventually return to Adelaide (Not that the family is likely to join me on that leg, they will be on the Spirit of Tassie)

I have looked at the Coastal passage a couple of times but didn't notice the plans.. .will look again!

Unfortunately for us the seawind 24 is just too wet and primitive. But I think your comments are very valid, for me the building will help fill in the time between now and when I will be in a position to actually go cruising!

Must say the Woods plans appeal due to their proven performance in these types on conditions, but do like the look of the Kendrick dsigns....

Yeh, i thought that about the seawind, they are wet cos they are quick. You could always slow it down lol.. There is also the Macro25. Tho substantially dearer they do have a lot more room.

Cheers
Oz
Old 24-01-2011, 03:50   #23

That's the first time I have seen the Macro25.. just about perfect.... minus a few 000's on the price lol. I could only find one for sale, any idea where/who the plans can be bought off? The fit and finish appears home built on the one I saw
Old 24-01-2011, 04:31   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The OP said he wanted to build a CATAMARAN. If he had said a MONOHULL, then I'm sure your suggestion would have been fine. He didn't.

I'd suggest that as he lives in Tasmania, he is familiar with the weather there. Quite possibly more so than someone who watches the weather on TV, and has talked to a few cruisers.
Funny - I thought the same thing - the OP said he wanted a cat and a plywood epoxy one at that - so he gets advise to build a strip plank mono?? As William Shatner would say - weird or what?

- ON the macro 25 - I think they were a production boat built by Beach Marine (Sydney or thereabouts) - no longer in production and not sure if the moulds still exists etc.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 04:32   #25

They were made in the 80s not sure if the plans are still available as they were a production boat at the time. They didnt have the bridgedeck originally which would explain the lesser finish, as I am led to believe that these were added later by various owners.

They were originally built by beach marine , northern suburbs sydney.
There are two for sale that I know of.

this one is already in Tas..
photo gallery popup with enquiry

and this one

Used Macro 25 - Performance Cruiser Catamaran for Sale | Yachthub

Pink... Hmmm,

Cheers
Oz
Old 24-01-2011, 16:46   #26

here's another one. Not a huge fan of the look of the bridge deck on this one. They appear to have lost a bit of space in its design.
CATAMARAN CUSTOM boat details - BoatPoint Australia

Cheers
Oz
Old 21-02-2011, 18:38   #27

Re: Coastal Cruiser for Plywood / Epoxy Build

Ill say one thig-R woods designs a elegant set of hulls
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 19:22   #28

"I have looked at the Coastal passage a couple of times but didn't notice the plans.. .will look again!"

Scroll way down the pages of Coastal Passage,it is still there. What you are looking for is called " The 21K Catamaran". I think it is simplicity and functionality at it's finest, not only that it looks great. Take a look.
spiritbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 19:37   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Look up Dix in RSA they should have something in ply/epoxy.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:20   #30

Well ended up buying a set of plans for Ray Kendricks new Fish and Chips design Catamaran

Tags
cruiser, plywood