Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2019, 03:44   #16

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Chris White Atlantic 70F video

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I don’t know- but having sailed on an A57 in moderate conditions (like 12-15 kts) and going 10-13 kts SOG easily while poorly trimmed (die to sail testing) I can say that it’s plenty fast.
Not wishing to be picky but 10-13 kts SOG with a 5 kt favourable current is p**s poor.

When comparing performance it is boat speed, through the water, that is important, not SOG.

Just saying.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 17:48   #17

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Not wishing to be picky but 10-13 kts SOG with a 5 kt favourable current is p**s poor.

When comparing performance it is boat speed, through the water, that is important, not SOG.

Just saying.

Read my post again and tell me where I quoted current. There was no current- it was on the Chesapeake where it barely runs. SOG was speed through water.

And the 10-13 was with partially luffing sails since the sailmaker and riggers were more interested in tweaking and testing than speed. It felt like just above idle speed
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 11:34   #18

Quote:

Just saying.
Loping along COMFORTABLY at 10-13 knots like it's nothing in a cruising catamaran means 200+ mile days.

How do you know there was a 5 knot current?
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 11:45   #19

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Loping along COMFORTABLY at 10-13 knots like it's nothing in a cruising catamaran means 200+ mile days.

How do you know there was a 5 knot current?
I didn't know there was a 5 knot current, I was making the point that quoting SOG was irrelevant to the performance of a boat.

And yes 200+ mile days are achievable
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 16:06   #20

Quote:
I didn't know there was a 5 knot current, I was making the point that quoting SOG was irrelevant to the performance of a boat.

And yes 200+ mile days are achievable

Just curious, where do you sail that there are 5 knot currents?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:15   #21

SKYLARK, the Atlantic 72ft

daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:21   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbm View Post
I also see they did away with the oddly comforting but silly internal helm — the only times anyone hand steers are in tight quarters or in sporty weather. In both cases you need to be outside.

^^ This.

I've sailed a smaller Atlantic, and the forward cockpit is fun in pleasant weather, but make no sense in cold, dreary weather, or even light winds and hot sun. There is a good reason that mid-sized (not crewed) cats evolved towards a hard top with outside steering. It is the most versatile, SAFE all-weather solution.

In my experience cruising involves rain, searing sun, long watches, and cold. The best answer is an outside steering station under a hard top, joined to a heated salon with a door and unrestricted 360 view. You don't get nearly as tired and wind blown during a long day. And how much fun would that forward station be, for 8 hours in screaming wind and flying spray? Not much. To me, it's a day sailing layout.
Old 15-01-2020, 18:53   #23

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Saphira was in the Bight at Norman Island in BVI this past week.
Beautiful vessel...

Jeff
HereAndNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 00:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
^^ This.

I've sailed a smaller Atlantic, and the forward cockpit is fun in pleasant weather, but make no sense in cold, dreary weather, or even light winds and hot sun. There is a good reason that mid-sized (not crewed) cats evolved towards a hard top with outside steering. It is the most versatile, SAFE all-weather solution.

In my experience cruising involves rain, searing sun, long watches, and cold. The best answer is an outside steering station under a hard top, joined to a heated salon with a door and unrestricted 360 view. You don't get nearly as tired and wind blown during a long day. And how much fun would that forward station be, for 8 hours in screaming wind and flying spray? Not much. To me, it's a day sailing layout.

First, I have never even sailed a forward cockpit cat. But from the looks it seems very comfortable for sail handling, and when the weather is not suitable you would sit inside on your watch?
No need to spend unnecessary time outside in weather...
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote