Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2020, 09:38   #2986

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
If it was built in glass over wood in 1968, I personally would not touch it.... It has to be polyester resin. I don't have much confidence in that.... Ironically the first boat I build was in 1968, and was built using wood and fiberglass (age 13). As was my second, several years later (cedar strip). I don't feel that the technology to do good wood and glass boats really existed until later. If the boat has been left in the water most of it's life, the chance of it being sound would seem vanishingly small IMHO.

H.W.
Ah gotcha! Makes sense. For the price it’s probably worth a visit and tap with a hammer, but buyer beware as ever...

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 10:22   #2987
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Apparently Cav is sensitive about the hammers. A hard plastic or hard rubber mallet is what you want and a small pen knife. If the boats for sale you really should have an arrangement in principal before doing this.

However, anything being sold as a semi sailiable 30-50 yacht needs to be able to withstand some gentle prodding.
Old 13-06-2020, 10:39   #2988

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Apparently Cav is sensitive about the hammers. A hard plastic or hard rubber mallet is what you want and a small pen knife. If the boats for sale you really should have an arrangement in principal before doing this.

However, anything being sold as a semi sailiable 30-50 yacht needs to be able to withstand some gentle prodding.
Actually the thing that worries me are the nut cases prodding boats that aren't actually for sale, ha ha!

I've actually seen that Marples out for a sail within the last couple of years, really what makes the difference is how well the construction is ventilated. There are a couple of those 35s around here, the Constant Camber panels are going to be all epoxy, what I'm trying to figure out are the seams on the deck.

That Kantola looks interesting to me, the Cross 48 in Olympia is I think one of the early cat designs Norm did.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 19:24   #2989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Actually the thing that worries me are the nut cases prodding boats that aren't actually for sale, ha ha!

I've actually seen that Marples out for a sail within the last couple of years, really what makes the difference is how well the construction is ventilated. There are a couple of those 35s around here, the Constant Camber panels are going to be all epoxy, what I'm trying to figure out are the seams on the deck.

That Kantola looks interesting to me, the Cross 48 in Olympia is I think one of the early cat designs Norm did.
The owners explained that those seams are from when they tried doing a repair a couple years back. The boat definitely floats. I will get to see it in person in 4 days and will be able to update with better photos and details. Nice to hear there are a couple CC 35s up in the Washington area. I would love to be able to take it out for a sail but won’t have my crew with me!

Will I be able to get my head in the hatches and areas and be able to see how well everything is ventilated? Is there something specific I should be looking for?
Thanks
Ajlawson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 21:37   #2990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlawson2 View Post
The owners explained that those seams are from when they tried doing a repair a couple years back. The boat definitely floats. I will get to see it in person in 4 days and will be able to update with better photos and details. Nice to hear there are a couple CC 35s up in the Washington area. I would love to be able to take it out for a sail but won’t have my crew with me!

Will I be able to get my head in the hatches and areas and be able to see how well everything is ventilated? Is there something specific I should be looking for?
Thanks
I don't understand this question, if you are meeting the owners why wouldn't you be able to access the hatches?

Typically a wood boat should have airflow through the internal areas from bows to sterns (tris have 3) and wings/akas etc... have to have airflow too.
Of course much of this can be shut down in bad weather. Storage compartments and cabinets, settees and bunks etc... should all allow air circulation. Roy's galley post on the Searunner thread shows great ventilation and light construction.

John Marples will sell you construction plan sheet for the relevant areas of that tri for reasonable cost. If the deck is bad and they cut it to try getting epoxy in there to check rot it would let you plan how to replace the deck. Decks add a lot of strength and stiffness and should be continuous.

If you don't know how to survey wood it might be worth getting someone who does, look for damp areas and despite the hammer talk a musical ear helps. Start tapping things with your knuckles and listen to how dry strong things respond, try a damp rotten one and you will say "ahhhh". Good luck, if you are putting around the Sound less is needed than if you plan to hop down the coast so plan your project accordingly.

PS, these boats are easy to sail, we are always puzzled why people "need" crew. Just give yourself lots of room.
Old 14-06-2020, 01:12   #2991
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Epoxy itself was invented in the 1890s... it didn't become common and "affordable" as a composite construction resin until quite recently... It's use in that context was unheard of in those days.... and long afterward.
I had a number of cheaper timber epoxy boats over 20 years ago. I regularly sail on a epoxy foam boat that is 35 years old
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 12:38   #2992

-Australia and probably other parts of the world adopted epoxy a little earlier than in the states (based on cost and availability). I think it's possible some polyester resin (and ply) boats with significantly above average maintenance over the years could still be holding together, they just fare a lot worse once any neglect or damage sets in. The feeling of -easily- peeling off large sheets of fiberglass, and never really knowing how far to go with those types of repairs is no fun.

-Cav mk2 I don't think it's necessarily the same boat you've seen out there, I've seen a similar color-scheme on a different tri sailing in the nw. As well as decks, the Marples pictured also needs a mini keel (and likely trunk board etc). Hope aj or someone takes the project on.

-Sometimes home builders used exterior or other inferior ply instead of marine ply on decks and cabins to save a little money, the quality of glues etc used in the ply changed over time, and as one can easily guess on the Marples pictured, sometimes that was not a great choice.
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 18:13   #2993
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Any more info on the Cross 48?
Old 14-06-2020, 19:13   #2994

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
-

-Cav mk2 I don't think it's necessarily the same boat you've seen out there, I've seen a similar color-scheme on a different tri sailing in the nw. As well as decks, the Marples pictured also needs a mini keel (and likely trunk board etc). Hope aj or someone takes the project on.
Nope, that is the one, I haven't seen another Marples with square windows. Henderson Inlet?

If it is the same Cross Cat it showed up at Eastbay Marina around 20 years ago? Full of lumber and scraps at that time, I never really checked it out in detail.
Old 14-06-2020, 19:21   #2995
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Any more info on the Cross 48?
Just that it was built in Santee, Ca, Named Esmerelda. And AJLawson2 might be able to look at it this week.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 20:31   #2996

I've got an Edel 35, new standing and running rigging. 200w solar panels not installed along with a good controller. Gas generator included. Monolithic laminate so no core issues. Easily sails into the teens. Will take 35K as is. Needs a paint job on deck and hulls to shine. Recently sailed to Cuba and back, boat in central Fl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cuba.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	217365   Click image for larger version

Name:	docked.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	217366  

Name:	aftcabin.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	217368   Click image for larger version

Name:	galley1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	217369  

Name:	nacelle.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	217370   Click image for larger version

Name:	head2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	217371  

multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 21:40   #2997

Manta trimaran $70k San Diego

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...139760516.html

An older Manta tri that has been around and been updated. They are asking 70k
Ajlawson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 22:54   #2998

That "Manta" is a Horstman Tristar. Good boats for room.
Old 15-06-2020, 01:02   #2999

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-hulls View Post
I've got an Edel 35, new standing and running rigging. 200w solar panels not installed along with a good controller. Gas generator included. Monolithic laminate so no core issues. Easily sails into the teens. Will take 35K as is. Needs a paint job on deck and hulls to shine. Recently sailed to Cuba and back, boat in central Fl.
Shame you’re in FL! Or rather shame I’m still stuck in the UK... that’s a great boat you’ve got there.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 08:40   #3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Shame you’re in FL! Or rather shame I’m still stuck in the UK... that’s a great boat you’ve got there.

N
Snap, was just thinking the same thing
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle