Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2020, 12:16   #2836

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Custom 38' cat $18,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Sand crab,
I'm thinking it was one of the first ideas that Main Cat had and it got sleeker and more "evolved"

But.....Gawd!

Old 04-01-2020, 13:27   #2837

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

People always think there, old wreck is worth a fortune, there is a often a CAT on Ebay UK for about £11000 same one and it’s been on there for years lol
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:08   #2838

Boat: Hunter 260

I think the PDQ took a serious impact, it looks like the hull is bent in half. I'm guessing these are the recovery left overs.
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa...053852222.html
Old 11-01-2020, 08:42   #2839

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Those Maine cat 30s are nice looking boats.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 13:55   #2840

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Catana 48 on ebay $72,500

It's a 1993 C48 and it's a project so it fits perfectly here. And considering it's pedigree might be one of the better listings here.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Catamaran-C...EAAOSw9RZeFd~6

And those MC30s are cool boats but I don't see the similarity with the other boat.

Old 12-01-2020, 17:38   #2841

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Agreed, I don,t see why the Mainecat was posted. Those C48s are a nice cat, I sailed on one from west palm beach to the Bahamas 20 years ago. May or may not be a good deal,
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 15:01   #2842

Long time listener, first time caller. The C48 caught my eye. Very much a project, but with potential, assuming (big assumption) hulls and spars are in serviceable condition. Posted at $72,500, which seems a big number for something that will need new engines (almost certainly), new standing and running rigging, electronics and sails etc. But I'm intrigued on the community's thoughts on valuations of good hulls with pedigree, but little else. All comments gratefully received.
torpnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 15:55   #2843

A member here purchased one several years ago. It was totally complete and in fact had did significant open water crossings. It was advertised around $249,000 or so and was contracted in just a few days. That boat was sweet and probably could have sold for quite a bit more. I thought the member's name was Norwood but I can't find his name.

FWIW the eBay ad did say obo so there is wiggle room. It would be a very significant project so buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
Old 13-01-2020, 16:32   #2844

Thanks Sand crab. That’s a good reference point. As a blank canvas it’s an intriguing possibility. I suspect my better senses will prevail, but the allure is strong...
Old 14-01-2020, 00:39   #2845

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpnr View Post
Thanks Sand crab. That’s a good reference point. As a blank canvas it’s an intriguing possibility. I suspect my better senses will prevail, but the allure is strong...
For the price it looks a good project! The rig will need to be refreshed but the sails and engines can be bought second hand, then it’ll be a case of checking all wires and systems, and refreshing where necessary.

Either way, it’s time or money.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 05:18   #2846

C48

The member that had the Catana 48 was Mark Morwood. You could PM him if interested. Good Luck
Old 14-01-2020, 05:57   #2847

@ausnp84, many thanks. Agreed on time and cost. I figure I can put $150k into it plus sweat equity and still not be underwater (excuse the pun). And end up with a boat that I know intimately, with entirely refreshed systems. All that assuming, of course, that the bulls and rig (excepting the standing rigging) is structurally sound.

@Sand crab. Thank you for the heads up re Mark Morwood. I had seen a few postings from him a few years ago re the C48, but will try out the PM function!
Old 14-01-2020, 06:52   #2848

Boat: Maine Cat 38

My experience is that the bare hulls are around 30 percent of the COST of the finished boat. So your guess of 150k into a 70k purchase for a total of 220 is in the right ball park.

An excellent survey is required. With these boats that have been in refit mode for years sometimes it just people got in over their heads and lost interest. Other times it is that they discovered some major flaw that made it nonsense to proceed further. Also one might find "improvements" that need to be stripped out. Be prepared for suprises along the way.

I personally derive great satisfaction from knowing every detail of a boat. This looks like a tantalizing project. Working full time on it is probably a year or 18 months for someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 14-01-2020, 08:28   #2849

Do not underestimate the time involved. You will need the drive, the skills, the time, and of course the money. You will need ALL four.
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 10:10   #2850

@Sparx, many thanks - that’s a helpful frame of reference (30% hull value). And 100% agreed re a survey. There is of course a reason why she has been on the hard for 10 years... I’m not familiar how a survey might work on eBay (never having bought a boat through eBay before), but will discuss with the seller.

@mattyc, agreed and thanks. Although I do not have unlimited supplies of any of the four, I’m hopeful my reserves of each would be sufficient for a project of this type. Still, a huge project and saner heads may yet prevail.

Ps. I don’t want to divert the flow of this fantastic thread so will keep you updated if I get too much deeper into the C48...!

Tags
cheap, paracelle