Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2021, 08:36   #3331

Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Most FRP cats are solid core below the waterline these days. I'd maintain that it's easier to both keep the supplies on hand and apply a quick and dirty fiberglass patch than something to aluminum, but of course it all depends what the nature and extent of the damage is.

I've worked in metals all my adult life (longer than I care to think about), and before. Aluminum would be near the bottom of my choices for a boat for a number of reasons. Aluminum alloys that are suitable for welding are subject to cracking, and aluminum welding is not a simple proposition. It requires a fairly powerful welder to weld any substantial piece of aluminum due to it's high thermal conductivity. The only reliable process for getting consistent good results is TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas), which is a process that calls for a shielding gas....... Shielding gas and breeze of any sort do not play well together, so the work area must be protected from any wind or breeze. It's a high skill process........ not difficult, but requiring skill and knowledge, and equipment you won't likely find in many places where you can get your boat. Welds on ANY metal are places where failure starts, no matter how skillfully done, and how carefully they are normalized. Aluminum is extremely subject to electrolysis, and other forms of corrosion. I've seen it degrade into white powder. The alloys with the strength needed such as 6061 T6 are more subject to corrosion and electrolysis than pure aluminum, to the extent that in aviation, products are often sold as "alclad", meaning pure aluminum coating on the outside (pure AL is weak but far more resistant to corrosion). Just about it's only virtue in boat building is weight... and the fact that in an impact situation it might just dent, but I feel that FRP can be built to be just as resilient. It may stand up better under regular abrasion such as sailing through pack ice than FRP, but steel would be far better under those circumstances.

I personally see absolutely no real reason to build a catamaran out of aluminum.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:06   #3332

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Each to their own when it comes to boat material, I guess.

Having owned wood / epoxy, FRP and steel boats, for me and the sailing I do, an ally cat would be ideal. There’s a reason a lot of Aussies use tinnies (ally speed boats) to go fishing on in the middle of nowhere, and I’d be more than happy dealing with the potential corrosion of an ally cat, in exchange for all the aforementioned benefits.

Still, it’s not everyone’s choice and I can understand why some would prefer the buy & forget benefits of FRP.

I hope this puts the material convo to rest as we’re digressing from the purpose of this thread somewhat.... that’s not to say though I haven’t enjoyed reading your thoughts on the ideal cat hull material.

Back to the cheap multi’s then....

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:05   #3333

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Each to their own when it comes to boat material, I guess.

Having owned wood / epoxy, FRP and steel boats, for me and the sailing I do, an ally cat would be ideal. There’s a reason a lot of Aussies use tinnies (ally speed boats) to go fishing on in the middle of nowhere, and I’d be more than happy dealing with the potential corrosion of an ally cat, in exchange for all the aforementioned benefits.

Still, it’s not everyone’s choice and I can understand why some would prefer the buy & forget benefits of FRP.

I hope this puts the material convo to rest as we’re digressing from the purpose of this thread somewhat.... that’s not to say though I haven’t enjoyed reading your thoughts on the ideal cat hull material.

Back to the cheap multi’s then....

N
Come on you can just weld it with oxygen and acetylene - 😂
Hell it’s a long time since I did that, and I wouldn’t be trusting any of my own welds in Aluminium on a boat. Welded a few lawn mowers in my time. One second it’s there the next it’s gone.

and a multihull below as requested

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313776032725?hash=item490e824bd5:g:RRIAAOSw9Sxhp79 h
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:11   #3334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313776032725?hash=item490e824bd5:g:RRIAAOSw9Sxhp79 h
Haha yeh... almost electrocuted myself with a MMA when building my steel ketch. Lesson learnt eh?

I saw that Kelsall pop up on ebay... check the BDC tho! I asked the seller for a height above water but they weren’t too forthcoming with measurements....

N
Old 12-12-2021, 13:46   #3335

Boat: Summer Twins 25

I saw that Kelsall pop up on ebay... check the BDC tho! I asked the seller for a height above water but they weren’t too forthcoming with measurements....
N[/QUOTE]

Well I have a Summer Twins and the BDC I don’t know how high it is but it’s very high and although only 25ft long it’s 15ft wide - so as wide as a 35ft Snowgoose!

Generally the Kersal design looks ok although seems to lack bunk space, seating space and Cockpit space when compared to my smaller boat. Not sure about that Propane heater either but that’s easily checked and sorted, biggest thing I noticed is that it’s 2 or 3 inches higher than the growth on the photo at dock, like it was heavier before ?
Looks tidy when out of the water
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 13:54   #3336

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Trimaran Project

Trimaran Project - $25,000 (Marathon FL)
I just started following this forum and didn't see this one posted when I did a search. Sorry if it's a dup, but it's a really pretty boat.

https://keys.craigslist.org/boa/d/ma...418285475.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 14:10   #3337

Agree. Pretty boat.

Just curious to thoughts regarding price…

It’s worth what a buyer and seller agree it’s worth,… but is $25k realistic?
MyCatLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 14:24   #3338

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Trimaran Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
Trimaran Project - $25,000 (Marathon FL)
I just started following this forum and didn't see this one posted when I did a search. Sorry if it's a dup, but it's a really pretty boat.

https://keys.craigslist.org/boa/d/ma...418285475.html
What an awesome boat.

Still, one needs perhaps to add another 15-20 000 for completion with sails, rigging and deck equipment and sundry stuff.

Love it, but I do already have a boat and am on the wrong side of the big pond.
Old 18-12-2021, 14:48   #3339

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCatLife View Post
Agree. Pretty boat.

Just curious to thoughts regarding price…

It’s worth what a buyer and seller agree it’s worth,… but is $25k realistic?
I'd probably offer somewhere around $10K (on the high side) for an unfinished 40 year old wooden boat that's missing a mast, electronics, rigging, tender, interior, cushions, completed galley, electrical wiring and who knows what else.
Old 18-12-2021, 16:46   #3340

TomCat 9.7 Sailboat For Sale at Harbor Shoppers

$80,000 (Linton Bay, Colon, Panama)

https://panama.craigslist.org/bod/d/...?lang=en&cc=us
Old 18-12-2021, 17:40   #3341

Boat: Still building

That trimaran on Craigslist has been on here before - when it was landlocked in Peabody, Maine, where the family of its builder, Wilson Lobau, were tyrying to find someone willing to take it on and complete it.
The price is basically what the current owners have spent getting it to Florida, most of which was crane hire and moving fees just to get it to the water.
It has an undiagnosed leak somewhere near the centreboard, which they acknowledge on their FB page. So it requires hauling and sorting of that issue.
Otherwise the engine is near new, only having been used on the trip from Maine to FLA. The boat was/is superbly built (several people who visited it in Maine can attest to that) and it is a very rare Roger Simpson designed 'Liahona'.
The current owners had big plans but small wallets, and COVID knocked their plans for six.
Consider that a similar-size, brand new, ready to sail tri from someone like NEEL would cost upwards of $300,000, and this is something of a bargain.
That is, if you are handy and have the cash budget available to complete it.
Can someone please buy it and do 'Wilsons Legacy' the justice it truly deserves?
It literally needs mast, rigging and sails (plus finding and fixing that annoying leak) and it's ready for ocean crossings.
So probably between $30K and $100K to get on the water ready to leave.
That is a cheap 'brand new' trimaran...!!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 19:39   #3342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
It literally needs mast, rigging and sails
...and winches and deck hardware and wiring and interior completion and who knows what else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
It has an undiagnosed leak somewhere near the centreboard, which they acknowledge on their FB page. So it requires hauling and sorting of that issue.
It's a plywood boat that's been in the water for two-plus years with a leak. At least that leak will be easy to find now, but at this point it might be more than a simple leak. This could be a big project for someone. If you're going to purchase it, go into the process with your eyes open.
Old 18-12-2021, 19:42   #3343
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I'd probably offer somewhere around $10K (on the high side) for an unfinished 40 year old wooden boat that's missing a mast, electronics, rigging, tender, interior, cushions, completed galley, electrical wiring and who knows what else.

This tri is worth every penny of the asking price. What’s more important to the owners is the buyers ability to be able to complete the boat correctly, otherwise no sale. She could be an absolutely beautiful world cruiser.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 00:19   #3344

Re: TomCat 9.7 Sailboat For Sale at Harbor Shoppers

Quote:
$80,000 (Linton Bay, Colon, Panama)

https://panama.craigslist.org/bod/d/...?lang=en&cc=us
Have to say, I never understood the high prices these Tomcats ask. 32-33ft is pretty small for a cat and unless you’re a couple, there’s not a lot of room aboard...

N
Old 19-12-2021, 00:31   #3345

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
This tri is worth every penny of the asking price. What’s more important to the owners is the buyers ability to be able to complete the boat correctly, otherwise no sale. She could be an absolutely beautiful world cruiser.
So for comparison, there’s a similar tri on Grenada on Yachtworld for £79k - approx. $100k USD.

You could certainly finish this one and have it ready to go for well under that figure IF you were prepared to spend 6 - 12 months on the hard doing the work yourself. Finished it’s not comparable to a NEEL tri, but would certainly make for a well sorted long distance cruiser.

N

Tags
cheap, paracelle