Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 11:56   #2176

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by windhorze View Post
I'm not afraid of projects...actually both of my multi's are projects...but I wouldn't touch that F27 with a 10 foot pole...that Horstman on the other hand looks great...I would wonder why so cheap...what the project aspects are...ie: what are the issues...since the above water 7/8 looks so good...guessing there are hull issues...be worth it to haul and see...
Agreed, that F27 has some serious structural issues. Check out the damage to the cockpit and broken gear / winch. Something hit this boat very hard and did some serious damage.

Wish that Horstman was closer. If the condition of the engine is any indication of the rest of the boat it's worth $15K for sure
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 12:09   #2177

Quote:
Actually if I didn't already have 2 boats and a wife....I'd be all over that Horstman!
Didn't you buy that Edel pretty cheap off this thread? Sell it to me and pick up the Horstmann. I can demount the Edel and ship it. The Horstmann, not so much.
Old 30-07-2017, 13:07   #2178

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

well your memory isn't half bad...I did buy the Edel 35 last fall and shared it with the group after I picked it up...I tried a "partnership" and brought it to a residence in Tampa where the person basically did nothing good...essentially was a mess again when I picked it up...he stated he is being relocated...selling the house...legal issues and wouldn't let me have a few things done to the boat before flying in and having to jump on it and move it...in the end he became a real @ss...lesson learned...he had no "meat in the game"...in 1 week I had the standing rigging changed out, repaired some of the very suspect and failing main wiring, painted the epoxied spots I touched up 6 months ago, new running rigging, jib sun cover restitched, mainsail cover repaired, etc...
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 13:25   #2179

Nice to hear you finally got some work done on it and it's headed in the right direction. I really wanted that boat, but I'm stuck in the desert right now, and waiting for a transfer to somewhere near water, I didn't want to buy it before I got the transfer and have it sit and get more neglected.
Old 30-07-2017, 18:05   #2180

Yes Phi, I am happy with "where it is"...I am planning a working/cruise this winter...you would have had a hard time getting this one, because I had a signed offer before I shared it...and have been looking for this "deal" for a long time...but I have to say this is an amazing thread and it has brought to light some very good (appearing) deals...If you are in the desert I would have to recommend an F27 or similar...you can tow it to the sea of cortez, come out here (LA), go down to the gulf, inland lakes, etc. The initial expense is quickly recouped by not having slip fees, bottom jobs, electrolysis, etc. I ran down the Sea of Cortez and did the Broughton's in British Columbia with my F27 and had a blast! If you're really "on the cheap" and want huge adventure, do what I did more than just a few years ago...Buy a Hobie 18...I took one from San Felipe to La Paz before having run-ins with a dock and federalizes (both on the same day, but not at the same time)

my 2 cents, no refunds allowed
Old 30-07-2017, 18:18   #2181

It sure seemed like quite a deal. Maybe when I get my transfer, if you're still interested in a partner and I'm close enough to the boat (or somewhere you'd rather have it!) we could work out a deal.
Old 30-07-2017, 19:43   #2182
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

[QUOTE=windhorze;2445214]Yes Phi, I am happy with "where it is"...I am planning a working/cruise this winter...you would have had a hard time getting this one, because I had a signed offer before I shared it...and have been looking for this "deal" for a long time...but I have to say this is an amazing thread and it has brought to light some very good (appearing) deals...If you are in the desert I would have to recommend an F27 or similar...you can tow it to the sea of cortez, come out here (LA), go down to the gulf, inland lakes, etc. The initial expense is quickly recouped by not having slip fees, bottom jobs, electrolysis, etc. I ran down the Sea of Cortez and did the Broughton's in British Columbia with my F27 and had a blast! If you're really "on the cheap" and want huge adventure, do what I did more than just a few years ago...Buy a Hobie 18...I took one from San Felipe to La Paz before having run-ins with a dock and federalizes (both on the same day, but not at the same time)

my 2 cents, no refunds allowed[/

The Edel you purchased had been on YachtWorld for quite a time before you purchased, as well as been on this thread. Nice boat.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 20:20   #2183

[QUOTE=smj;2445269]
Quote:
Yes Phi, I am happy with "where it is"...I am planning a working/cruise this winter...you would have had a hard time getting this one, because I had a signed offer before I shared it...and have been looking for this "deal" for a long time...but I have to say this is an amazing thread and it has brought to light some very good (appearing) deals...If you are in the desert I would have to recommend an F27 or similar...you can tow it to the sea of cortez, come out here (LA), go down to the gulf, inland lakes, etc. The initial expense is quickly recouped by not having slip fees, bottom jobs, electrolysis, etc. I ran down the Sea of Cortez and did the Broughton's in British Columbia with my F27 and had a blast! If you're really "on the cheap" and want huge adventure, do what I did more than just a few years ago...Buy a Hobie 18...I took one from San Felipe to La Paz before having run-ins with a dock and federalizes (both on the same day, but not at the same time)

my 2 cents, no refunds allowed[/

The Edel you purchased had been on YachtWorld for quite a time before you purchased, as well as been on this thread. Nice boat.

Well, kinda I guess...I made an offer the day after it was listed...then put it up on this list as a point of interest...I don't think it was on YW prior (because I'm a boat shopaholic) and the broker told me he had just listed it...but it did stay up until my purchase went through which was longer than 30 days due to numerous circumstances...including that hurricane that rolled thru...
Old 30-07-2017, 22:46   #2184

Quote:

my 2 cents, no refunds allowed
Windhorze, ooooh very cool! Would you please share your experience with your H18 from San Felipe to La Paz?
Got a blog or YouTube about any of it?
I have fallen or every Hobie vessel I have ever sailed. Hobies gliding over clear warm water is as good as it gets, right?!

High five on the multihull trailer sailer. It seems like such a logical choice for places like the SOC or the Gulf....perform well in light or heavy air, easy to furl, stable and if a hurricane threats...pop er on the trailer and drive away. I would love to charter one in the Bahamas some day!!!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 23:47   #2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Windhorze, ooooh very cool! Would you please share your experience with your H18 from San Felipe to La Paz?
Got a blog or YouTube about any of it?
I have fallen or every Hobie vessel I have ever sailed. Hobies gliding over clear warm water is as good as it gets, right?!
Sadly I didn't write a blog...but do have a bunch of slides buried somewhere...it was one of the biggest adventures I've ever had...I would say we burned up at least 3 cat lives...folks thought I was crazy to even consider it...luckily I have a very naive and gullible friend that has been game for adventures all over the world from El Capitan, to Iran Jaya to the Hamalayas...and for whatever reason, has always made it home...

I came up with this adventure, looked in the local Pennysaver and you would not believe, found a H18 that had been stashed away under a car port for ages, and not touched...nets...excellent shape...sails...very good shape...hull, rudders, bits and pieces all there...trailer...good enough...$400. Sold.

I putzed around and cleaned and sorted, replaced the deck hatches, went about learning how to sail the boat. Took it out about a dozen times for day sails and then off to Catalina from MDR. Fun, fun and more fun. Went about making a luggage rack forward of the mast between the hulls and devised a way to retrieve stuff stashed in the hulls. Off to San Felipe we went. Should have payed more attention to the trailer bearings, lesson learned.

So short story is, we cast off from the beach in San Felipe...my buddies girl friend drove my truck and trailer down Baja as we sailed down, and had their own adventure to write about. We had hoped to meet up in Puertocetos but were unable to get into the harbor and were stuck way out on the falling tide.

Onward we journeyed, and the next night I tried to get into this little bay on the backside of Isle El Muerto...lost the wind, and had not tried our little paddle (lesson learned, that little thing worked great), felt a bit exposed, so decided to head off shore...lenticular's were high in the sky to our east and come darkness we were getting hammered by a Il Torino, lightning was blasting all around and winds were crazy...how we didn't flip I don't know (one cat life down)...the next morning we dragged our asses up on the beach 10 miles south in Bufeo...

We were caught in one more storm sailing through the night, even worse conditions, the mast was like a noodle as I tried to keep up upright, pitch black, phosphorescence blazing and lighting up the nets, trails off the hulls and dolphin torpedos darting under the boat...unreal and unforgettable.

Other highlights were whales, a line of dolphins about a hundred wide directly in front of us and directly across our path, sharks cruising along beside us and going after our Dorado catches, caught Tuna, Dorado, and fish that just stripped us clean...

that's just a little to wet your appetite...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sanevaristo_copy.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	153094  
Old 31-07-2017, 03:57   #2186

Boat: Boatless

What's wrong with this post? He can travel anywhere in the world with a crew and spend any amount of money on a boat project but can't find a decent boat close to where he is for a lot less hassle?
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 04:51   #2187
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Cheap Multis and Projects

[QUOTE=windhorze;2445282]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post

Well, kinda I guess...I made an offer the day after it was listed...then put it up on this list as a point of interest...I don't think it was on YW prior (because I'm a boat shopaholic) and the broker told me he had just listed it...but it did stay up until my purchase went through which was longer than 30 days due to numerous circumstances...including that hurricane that rolled thru...

The Edel had already gone through one contract before you found it. I put it on this thread in September of last year and that was after she came back on the market. Maybe the owner put her with a different broker the second time? Is she docked in Carabelle now?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 05:52   #2188

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
What's wrong with this post? He can travel anywhere in the world with a crew and spend any amount of money on a boat project but can't find a decent boat close to where he is for a lot less hassle?
To which post are you referring?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 11:51   #2189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
I too am curious, are you questioning my boat buying habits? Get in line and pull up a stool next to my wife and get ready to have your ear bent
Old 31-07-2017, 12:05   #2190

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The Edel had already gone through one contract before you found it. I put it on this thread in September of last year and that was after she came back on the market. Maybe the owner put her with a different broker the second time? Is she docked in Carabelle now?
Well, I do take time off of boat shopping once in a while...so it's possible I did not see it on the market the first time...would be curious when that was...I did go back to see your post which was 9/24...and I had emailed the broker 9/23, probably the night it was posted...so obviously the same boat...not sure about the Carabelle comment though, as she was purchased in Punta Gorda and I'm quite sure she hasn't been near Carabelle for some time (if ever)...

as an interesting side note, this boat is the same boat that Don Butler bought and did a write up on in 1998, I had just returned from Asia (1996) after getting bitten by the sailing bug, I jumped on a 38' double ender in Phi Phi Thailand and we sailed to basically everywhere that big tsunami struck in 2004 (Phuket, Punta Banda (epicenter), Lankawi, Galle harbor and the Maldives)...I was determined to someday have a Catamaran (after my first night in Ao Chalong)...Don Butler helped keep the Edel 35 on my short list...and now I've got that beaten up old girl....funny how the world turns

Edel 35 Sport Catamaran Owner Report by Ron Butler

Tags
cheap, paracelle